Bluesound issues when grouping devices

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
2019 iMac with 64GB of memory. Mac OS 10.15
The music is stored on a hard drive connected by Thunderbolt 3 to my iMac.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
My network is gigabit Ethernet, has no trouble with high resolution video being pumped around the house.
The switch at the iMac is an Araknis Switch… at the source devices I have a Linksys GB switch because there is another device at each connection point.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
My source devices are Bluesound units in all rooms…

Description Of Issue
Since this latest version I’m hearing a lot of music that is distorted. Tracks I’ve played many times before. Hard to describe the sound, but almost like some skipping, particularly noticeable in brass. It doesn’t happen all the time, but it is getting more and more frequent. Have restarted all my devices.

BTW, I still have a problem running Roon on my MacBook Pro, an issue I’ve reported many times over many months. Over night, if Roon is left open, and I go to album view my albums appear for a second, then the screen is empty, as Roon reports a ‘Focus’ issue. Had hoped with each update this would get fixed, but I have to restart Roon each morning.

Hi @Mel_Martin,

If you play to any endpoint besides the Bluesound is there any change in behavior?

I restarted one Bluesound device i’d missed and that fixed it… thanks… now seeing (since the new version) a message when I try to add a device to a group that roon has lost control of the device. Happens almost every time I make a group. Bug?

Hi @Mel_Martin,

What audio devices are part of the existing group before this issue occurs? Does it consistently occur when you add one specific Bluesound endpoint to the group?

So far as I can tell if I drop or add any Bluesound device…

Hi @Mel_Martin,

Can you please check to ensure all your BlueSound endpoints are using the latest firmware? You should be able to check this using the BluOS app.

Yes, all up to date… updated just recently…

Hi @Mel_Martin,

Can you let me know the exact local time + date when you try to group your Bluesound devices and you see this issue occur?

Sure… just did it at 12:59:29 ARIZONA TIME. Got the lost control message. Also, sometimes when grouping devices they all stop and I have to press start to get them playing again. That’s something new… up until now there would be a short pause and then playback would resume.

I’m still most frustrated with Roon now working when I wake up. I have to stop and relaunch the app every morning. It shows my album list for a second, then screen goes blank… then gives me the ‘focus’ warning. This issue has persisted since I bought my lifetime subscription.

Many thanks

Mel

Hi @Mel_Martin,

Thanks for letting me know the timestamp. I have activated diagnostics mode for your account and what this action should have done was automatically upload a log set to our servers, but I’m not seeing the log report come in.

Can you please provide a manual set of logs by using these instructions? The best way to get them over would be via Dropbox / Google Drive but if you don’t have either just let me know and I can provide alternate upload instructions.

Here’s a link to the 2 newest log files…

Hi @Mel_Martin,

Thanks for sending those logs over, I have requested the technical team take a look for any further clues. I appreciate your patience until this reaches their queue!

Hello @Mel_Martin,

Looking at the logs it appears that the Bluesound devices are triggering the playback stoppage:

03/23 12:59:25 Trace: [zone Living Room + Bedroom + Bathroom + Home Theater] Living Room + Bedroom + Bathroom + Home Theater received transport control from Bluesound NODE 2i: pause
03/23 12:59:25 Trace: [zone Living Room + Bedroom + Bathroom + Home Theater] Pause
03/23 12:59:25 Info: [zone Living Room + Bedroom + Bathroom + Home Theater] OnPlayFeedback Paused
03/23 12:59:25 Trace: [Bluesound NODE 2i @ ] [raatclient] GOT [73278] {"status":"Teardown"}
03/23 12:59:25 Trace: [Bluesound PULSE FLEX 2i @ ] [raatclient] GOT [423] {"status":"Success"}
03/23 12:59:25 Trace: [Bluesound NODE 2i @ ] [raatclient] SENT [32614]{"request":"end_stream"}
03/23 12:59:25 Trace: [Bluesound NODE 2i @ ] [raatclient] GOT [32614] {"status":"InvalidState"}
03/23 12:59:25 Trace: [Bluesound PULSE FLEX 2i @ ] [raatclient] GOT [392] {"status":"Teardown"}
03/23 12:59:25 Trace: [Bluesound NODE 2i @ ] [raatclient] GOT [15] {"reason":[],"status":"Lost"}
03/23 12:59:25 Trace: [Living Room + Bedroom + Bathroom + Home Theater] [zoneplayer/raat] Got 'lost' response
03/23 12:59:25 Trace: [Living Room + Bedroom + Bathroom + Home Theater] [zoneplayer/raat] lost endpoint. stopping stream
03/23 12:59:25 Warn: Track Stopped Due to LostEndpoint

The first line shows one of the NODE 2i units sending a pause command to Roon, which Roon executes without issue.

After the pause command, one of the NODE 2i units responds with an “InvalidState” error when instructed by Roon to close down its output. This is what causes the “…Lost…” error to be shown in Roon.

Based on this information, I recommend investigating with the Bluesound support team why the NODE 2i is sending an unintentional pause command to Roon.

-John

Thanks… will take it up with them…

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.