Bluesound Node Disappears

@ support. I too have a Bluesound node that keeps disappearing from the Roon App sometimes the app on another device still sees it, but sometimes none. (iPad, iPhone and MacBook).

I have a Nucleus that streams from a QNAP and Tidal. The Bluesound is a Node 2i. The Sonos nodes are still visible. If I unplug/replug the Bluesound node it reappears, but can disappear in the middle of streaming or over night.

Hello @Richard_Guth,

I have split your post to it’s own discussion. What is your network setup like? Please list the model/manufacturer of the Router, any switches, range extenders, powerline adapters and how the Nucleus and Roon Remotes are connected.

How often does this issue occur, is it every night or less frequently?

– Noris

Thanks Noris, I wasn’t sure whether to start my own or try to add to others. It happened five times yesterday, not at all today, and probably once every other day for the past week. (maybe since the Bluesound software upgrade I did last week).

• My internet is Comcast business
  • Router is Technicolor Device Type BWG, Model DPC3941B
  • I have a Linksys Velop Mesh Network
  • Roon is connected to network through ethernet to a TP-Link 8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch | Ethernet Splitter | Sturdy Metal w/Shielded Ports |Plug-and-Play | Traffic Optimization | Unmanaged (TL-SG108)
  • QNAP is also connected to the Network Switch
  • My phone and iPad all connect wirelessly through the Mesh Network
  • My MacBook Pro is connected to the switch with an ethernet cable
  • Bluesound is plugged into a Synergistic Research QLS6, which is plugged into a Shunyata Venom ps8m model US120 ( I only have two outlets for my main system, my Spectral Amp is plugged directly into the wall, so everything else has to go through the Power purifiers.)

Thanks for helping! I have three more Bluesound Node 2i’s arriving tomorrow to replace my Sonos connects!

PS: it happen about 90 minutes after I first sent this. In the middle of shuffling my international fusion jazz genre it just disappeared in the middle of a song.

And twice today, 2/8/19

Hi @Richard_Guth,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you here. I am wondering if this issue could be due to multicast going wrong somewhere in the setup. I think that logs might help here, can I please ask you to:

• Note the exact local time of the next failure (ex. 11:06AM)
  • Manually retrieve the logs from your Nucleus using these instructions
  • Retrieve the logs from your BlueSound device (Navigate to IP Address in a web browser -> Diagnostics -> More -> Copy and paste the text into a text editor and save the info.
  • Send this info over to me as a shared Dropbox or Google Drive link, if you do not have either service I can provide an alternate upload method, just let me know.

I am also curious to hear if the 3 other Bluesound Node 2’s are experiencing the same issue, if they are then this would point further to networking and multicast discovery going wrong somewhere.

– Noris

Thanks @noris for the response and info. It hasn’t happened since Sunday night when I was sleeping, so I don’t know the time. Hasn’t happened since - longest run so far!

I made some changes that might have helped.

1. I bought a audioquest C7 power cable for that bluesound and plugged it directly into the venom power purifier instead of the synergistic. (One less connection)
  2. I installed the other three bluesound nodes. So maybe they are supporting each other or Roon is less confused now that there are 4 of them and only 1 Sonos instead of 1 bluesound and 3 sonos.

I’ll get the logs and drop them in Dropbox for you if it happens again.

FYI, the bluesound nodes were not in sync when grouped in Roon the first few days. So I ran them as a zone via the bluesound app for a night and the next day Roon saw them As one node or zone and the music was in sync. Nice trick to know if it happens again, when I try to group them via Roon tomorrow.

Hi @Richard_Guth,

Glad to hear that the Node hasn’t disappeared since Sunday! The connections change may have helped but do let me know if it occurs again. As for the Bluesound sync issue this is something that we’re aware of and working with Bluesound to correct, you can take a look at this thread for more information.

Thanks,
Noris

@noris so I am having the Roon drop my blue sound node i2s again. I have posted the Nucleus logs here, https://www.dropbox.com/s/a7afcjs8b1jdfnc/Richard_Guth_Logs.zip?dl=0

But I am having trouble getting to the BlueSound node. In the BlueSound App, under help/diagnostics, I find this ip address for the node: “192.168.1143”, so in a web browser I type in http://192.168.1143/ and it defaults to “http://192.168.4.119” which then gets a message that the server is not responding. Any suggestions?

IN the meantime, in the Desktop Bluesound App, I went into Help/Diagnostics and then clicked “more” in upper right corner and did get a lot of logs for all of the nodes. So I copied them into a word document and they are in the dropbox folder too. Let me know if that has what you need or if I need to send you something else.

The drop happened like this, I was playing a Tidal Play list. the sound stopped for a few minutes (5-10). So I went to my desktop Roon App, and it was stalled in the middle of a song, So at 12:24pm on 3/19 I clicked the right arrow and then the BlueSound Node disappeared and I got the message to “select a zone” and the node was gone. It happens almost daily with one or the other of my 4 BlueSound nodes. Often overnight, or first thing in the morning when I start to play some music.

Hi @Richard_Guth,

Thank you for providing that additional information.

A 192.168.1143 IP address for the node is not a valid one, I beleive you meant to write 192.168.1.114, which is a valid one. 192.168.4.119 is not in the same subnet as the router, so I would expect this lookup to fail. You mentioned that you got the logs of the Node, would you mind sharing those with me? I could not locate them in the dropbox link you provided.

I recall that you said that the Bluesound is plugged into a couple of power strips and purifiers, but how is it connected network-wise? Is it on WiFi or Ethernet? If it is on WiFi, can you try connecting at least one of them on Ethernet and let me know if the same issue still occurs?

I looked up the Techicolor router and these types of routers are listed in our networking best practices as needing some special settings to be applied to them to properly work:

Technicolor Routers
We’ve seen that some technicolor routers cause Roon to have difficulties communicating to networked endpoints. This can be resolved by adding exceptions for Roon and RAATServer to the router’s IPv6 firewall settings.

Can you give this a try and let me know if that changes anything?

Thanks,
Noris

The router is from Comcast, so I will need to do some research on how to change the settings. Give me a couple of days.

I got that bad IP address from within the BlueSound App. Must have misunderstood what it is.

The bluesound diagnostics is the word doc in the folder. Here is a link. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fgaa9ho6bbbg2fc/AADhAGOi3U1UYwtF7QxdeLmEa?dl=0

The BlueSound nodes are all Wi-Fi. I can connect one to router via Ethernet. Can also connect the others to Mesh Network Accel points and see if that helps.

Thanks for your assistance.

Hi @Richard_Guth,

Thanks for sending those diagnostics over, I do see the connection dropping but the reasons are not quite clear. I would go ahead with the proposed tests, first connect the Bluesound via Etherent to see if there is any change, and if the issue still occurs that way I would look into the IPv6 changes that I previously mentioned.

Thanks,
Noris

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.