Bluesound Sample Rate Conversion and grouped zone dropouts

Just got a reply from Bluesound, which I’ve pasted below. Not too encouraging. If the problem was truly just an issue of the Bluesound unit responding incorrectly when Roon interrogated it as to its capabilities it would probably be a couple lines of code (or just constants) that needed fixing. I could understand a long delay in releasing a fix due to QA time and wanting to group this bug fix with others, but I get the feeling the problem is much bigger than just the wrong value in a table of constants. Glad I didn’t go out and buy any more Bluesound units. Hoping my pessimism is misplaced.

Just have to wait and see. There is Walking Dead in the meantime. And cake.

That was only six days ago to be fair…

I’m guessing as a hardware vendor with plenty out in the field, they can’t just make a tweak and release without thorough testing. Maybe they have an established test/release process? Maybe changes would have a knock-on effect elsewhere? Maybe they’re busy?

I know nothing about Bluesound, just speculating… in any case no one bug fixes and releases quicker than Roon! :slight_smile:

I think I covered delays associated with QA, aggregating bug fixes into one release, etc. The important point is it appears they don’t know what problem is and/or don’t have a fix for it yet. So, unless bluesound is the type of corp that doesn’t like releasing status updates until an actual code release occurs, it means the problem could be more complex than just an incorrect response as to the bluesound unit’s capabilities. Guess we’ll just have to wait and see. Agree on the responsiveness of Roon.

The forced conversion to 48K was first raised with Bluesound on Feb 1st.

What puzzles me is that it affects speakers (mini, flex, play bar) but NOT node 2. This leads me to think that it is something the Bluesound have done and that the issue is not with Roon.

Hi all, I have a NAD c390dd with DD-bluOS card installed.

I’ve been playing around with Roon and after reading this thread I thought I’d check my diagnostics.

I took the following screenshot, but not sure what to make of it!

I’ve highlighted what I think is the relevant info, can someone shed some light as to what is going on?

For everyones info, all my settings are to pass through files unchanged, no DSP going on.

Cheers, James

Even so, we’re still in February… :slight_smile:

No idea why I walked into this conversation, I don’t even have a BS device, but I do think we need to manage our expectations sometimes.

I think a month or few is reasonable to wait for a company to diagnose and issue and report on whether they’re going to fix it (or more likely these days fix it and then tell customers). Us Devialet owners have been waiting years for Devialet to fix a handful of bugs with their flaky AIR software. Still now the same bugs persist with constant announcements of ‘were working on it’ and that’s after a public and embarrassing petition calling for action and the head of Devialet finally stating they were going to get it sorted. Now we’re back to excuses. So I guess when I read a few weeks of unsolved problems with other hardware I just think ‘ok, maybe a little patience is required here’ :wink:

Yes, this was Roon’s initial position i.e. problem was on Bluesound’s side of the fence. I have heard nothing else from Roon since then. So it’s really unclear what the root cause(s) is (are).

I guess everyone has their own tolerance/patience level for bug fixes. The real reason I was posting a status update is I and some other gentlemen who have been posting on this thread were considering buying additional bluesound units with the release of rev 1.3. I intend to vote with my pocketbook and hold off until I’m sure this problem has been resolved.

I’m one of those standing on the sidelines waiting to buy some BS speakers as Roon endpoints. As soon as I get confirmation they will play at 192khz my order gets launched!

No issues with the powernode :slight_smile:
Sounds great

Node 2 is also OK. Speakers - I have tested Pulse Flex, Pulse Mini and Pulse Soundbar - are not. They all force conversion to 48K. I haven’t tested Pulse 2 - seem to remember @brian saying that this was OK. It’s because the problem affects some Bluesound products and not others that I think that it must be a Buesound issue and not a Roon issue - but I might be wrong!

How could you be wrong? The situation is,
Roon asks the BlueSound device, “Hey, what is the highest rate you can handle” and the
BlueSound device says, “Oh, Hey There Roon, I can handle up to 48K.”
Roon says “OK, if that is what you can handle, then that is what I’ll send you.”

The question is why is the BlueSound device responding to the question with 48K.

1 Like

Another week and still nothing further on this silly issue i see.

It can’t be that difficult to resolve surely whether it requires development and a bit of coding by Bluesound/ Roon or both.

I won’t hold my breath or get too excited about it. The green dot in the signal path is taunting me is all !

Test of Node 2: Please read carefully to avoid a lot of back and forth in this thread concerning what Roon sends to the Node 2.

If anyone has a Node 2 and an external DAC which will display bit rate, it would be an interesting experiment to send audio with a sample rate greater than 48KHz to the Node 2. I realize Roon says it’s sending the correct bit rate data and I’ll assume that’s the case. However, Roon has no idea what Node does with the data that’s being sent. So there’s always the possibility the Node is converting to 48KHz w/o notifying anyone. Anyhow, it’s a quick and simple experiment. Anyone up for the challenge?

Latest from Bluesound. Not holding my breath that this gets resolved any time soon. Glad I didn’t rush out and buy more units

I have a simpler layout: Roonbridge:MainRig:PowerNode 2:Pulse Mini. I am also getting downsampling to 48K for the Pulse Mini and not the PowerNode 2 (at least the path does not say it is downsampling!).

@Andrew_Haines @brian

From my own testing (I have Node 2, Pulse Mini, Pulse Flex, Pulse Soundbar) and from other feedback it seems that Pulse Mini, Pulse Flex, Pulse Soundbar ARE affected by the ‘convert everything to 48K’ issue whereas Node 2, Powernode 2 and Pulse speaker are NOT affected.

This pattern fits with what is in the image files that can be downloaded from the Bluesound website - the files for the products affected include (raat only_48000=1) whereas the files for the products not affected do not include this.

Looking at the Roon product matrix it seems that the Node 2, Powernode 2 and Pulse were tested in house (by Roon) but the others (Flex, Mini, Soundbar) were not. Interesting coincidence or red herring?

We’ve had helpful updates on the MQA situation but a deafening silence (other than be patient) on this one.

I don’t have any problem with being patient - but it would be a bit easier to do so if we had a little more clarity.

1 Like

Second this - using Roon to listen to bluesound for the aforementioned devices is a compromise and watered down experience at the moment.

I now have a Flex, Pulse Mini, and Pulse 2 set up. With just the Pulse Mine added to a zone I was golden. When I added the Pulse 2 and Flex I started getting the dreaded dropouts. By pulling only the Flex out of the grouped zone, things appeared to be stable again. I’m going to experiment with combining Bluesounds into a group via the Blu app and see if that helps at all.