Bonded pair dsl modem audiophile

The new router from CenturyLink seems to have a harder upper end than my previous Comcast that came in on coaxial. I thought maybe an aftermarket router with Wi-Fi might be better. Any suggestions welcome. Running on a Nucleus and I like it, USB disruptor and Audioquest Vodka Ethernet. Wadia DAC. Bill

Is this a joke? I sincerely hope so.

AJ

3 Likes

For those in the computer community, with their vast knowledge of how computers and digital interfaces work and function. ignorance of real sound values are bliss. I recall that medical doctors of their time treated George Washington’s pneumonia with leeches until he was dead.

Stop right there. The top post in this thread is the antithesis of “vast knowledge of how computers and digital interfaces work and function.”

And imagination of “real sound values” is a kind of bliss, apparently.

Believing that different Internet connections – DOCSIS and DSL – of sufficient bandwidth sound different when streaming audio is akin to believing that physical discs delivered by UPS sound darker and boxy, while those delivered by FedEx sound more lively and purplish.

AJ

1 Like

I suggest you complain to Century Link. Do tell us what they advise.

This forum is rather hostile to this kind of discussions. Not as bad as two or three of the other forums out there, but still… maybe not the forum as such, but some of it’s members :grinning:
Does it help to disconnect the new router from your network? Or are you using the switch in the router for your audio components?

I went from a single pair DSL (10 Meg) to two pair that go about 30 Megs max. The bonded pair router is different but sounds the same. Century Link runs CAT5e to a phone style jack with 6 connectors, then to their supplied modem/router. It may be the “newness” of all the wire and router, as it feels as if it is starting to break-in. Or maybe I am getting accustomed to the shift.

Now, I know the digital theory goes that bits are bits and things like Ethernet wire of a given standard do not sound different, but they do, But that is a fully useless argument to undertake that is not of any interest. And yes, I am aware of the check sum error correction in digital transfers. I just thought maybe someone had already tried some options that they felt improved the sound, namely a softening of the highs, especially as to a projected character. This question was not intended for the pencil neck techies that think they know all the answers in audio,

The Roon NUC is a slight lowering of the noise floor and allows a tiny bit more detail. I would say it is 2% improvement over my laptop running the show. The rest of my system is all tube, pre-amp with switchable capacitance on the OTL output and alternative hand-wound transformer out, amp is 6C33C based, all custom built. Soundlab U-2 speakers (modified). My mentor was Al Stiefel, the founder of Audiofest here in Denver.

So, yes I am using the supplied router switch, but the NUC is the only user of Ethernet ports. The home TV’s do run on the Wi-Fi only. And I think Century Link is installing fiber locally (1 Gig), and it will be interesting to see if the sound changes noticeably.

Bill

Discussion of experience and theory regarding audio gear is appropriate on the Forum. Threads where there are differences between users as to the very possibility of particular gear affecting sound quality and the experience of other users regarding such gear have created Moderation challenges in the past.

If you are going to contribute to this thread, please restrict your posts to discussion of the ideas and not the other posters. Before you hit “Reply” ask yourself if you are saying something about yourself, your understanding of theory or your own experience. Try to resist saying anything at all about the other people posting in the thread or what you think of people who have similar beliefs to them, it just detracts from the discussion and can easily result in the thread descending into breach of the guidelines.