Networking Gear & Setup Details

• Control of playback from iPhone 12Pro w/512GB and various iPads
  • Netgear Nighthawk R9000 Router (X10)
  • Current SW/FW on all systems
  • Internet: AT&T Gigabit Fiber, 1Gb Service

Connected Audio Devices

• Wired iFi Zen Streamer connected to DAC via Digital Coax out
  • Wired Aurlic Aries Mini connected to headphone amp via RCA analog out
  • Wired Bluesound Powernode connected to speakers via speaker out.
  • Wireless Bluesound Powernode connected to speakers via speaker out.
  • Wired Windows Desktop with sound card and speakers

Number of Tracks in Library

• Music Library = ~14513 Albums and 215K Tracks in Total
  • ~5500 of the total albums are Tidal
  • The remaining albums are local files consisting of Redbook FLAC, HiRez FLAC, DxD and DSD – all stored on the NAS.
  • Active Tidal subscription with some Tidal albums added to library (~5488 Tidal Albums in library)

Description of Issue

I am posting this as an additional datapoint/clue regarding general Roon performance – which in my case becomes quite poor when using bookmarks and can only be recovered by a restart of Roon.

I find that overall Roon performance degrades upon using bookmarks and then never returns to an acceptable state - initially the performance is fine. The only recovery is a reboot of Roon. It’s as if Roon isn’t doing garbage collection or there is some form of memory leak.

As an additional clue, I note that saved Bookmarks when recalled double up genre when used as a selection criteria. Here is an example: the first screen shot is a Focus track selection criteria I used and then saved as a bookmark. The second screen shot shows the saved bookmark when recalled. Perhaps this doubling of criteria is a clue? Also, the Focus feature takes a tremendous amount of time to build the list of available genre for focus.

Hi @c2c2c2,

The team has reviewed diagnostics available from this Core and come to some conclusions that might help:

1. You’re experiencing a known performance issue that we’re tracking in a separate thread: ROON painfully slow after update with large library sizes [Roon Investigating]. Fortunately, we’re working hard to introduce changes that will ease this performance decline and hope to have them pushed out in the near future. We will post on the thread above when that happens.

How many artists do you estimate you have in your library with over 1000 tracks? What about the same track with hundreds of different versions? This information might help us pinpoint the particular mechanism failing here.

1. Your Core is underpowered for your library size. With over 100k tracks, any large amount of indexing might cause declining performance on this processor. It might be worth considering a Core migration to the more powerful Remote available in your setup.

We’re happy to answer any questions.

My library contains 6900 artists.

I do not have cases of hundreds of versions of the same track.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.