Bose Soundbar 700 built-in Chromecast

Roon Core Machine

Windows 10 Pro, Intel Celeron J3455 6GB RAM

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Actiontec T3200M (from provider Telus in Vancouver, Canada)

Connected Audio Devices

1. Chromecast connected to TV which is connected to Bose Soundbar 700
  2. HDMI port on Core machine to AmazonBasics 4K HDMI to HDMI and Audio (RCA Stereo or Spdif) Extractor Converter, and then TOSLINK S/PDIF fibre optic connection to Bose Soundbar 700
  3. Roon Bridge on my PC to Bose Companion 2 Series III speakers connected to PC

Number of Tracks in Library

No local library. Streaming from Tidal.

Description of Issue

By a software update in Jan 2022, Bose Soundbar 700 now has an in-built Chromecast. I am able to connect to it and play from other apps such as BubbleUPNP and YouTube Music. But Roon is not able to see it - it shows only the Airplay option, which is of lower quality than Chromecast, as far as I know. Can this be fixed please, so that I can leverage the built-in Chromecast of the soundbar.
Thanks.

Hey @Suman_Sinha,

Thank you for getting in touch with your question. We’re sorry to hear that you’re having issues, we’d be happy to help.

One thing that I notice here is that your Roon Core CPU falls below our recommended specs. That isn’t likely to be the cause of your issues here but it’s something I wanted to mention. Right now it looks like you have a small library, that machine may keep you going for a while but probably won’t be up to the task once your library grows significantly. We’re music lovers, our libraries are bound to grow so I just wanted to put the potential issues on your radar.

For your Soundbar issues, can you please post a screenshot of your audio page so we can take a look at what you’re seeing? Also, have you tried a reboot of the devices in your audio chain? We’ll be watching for your reply!

Thanks Jamie for your response and for drawing my attention to the CPU specs. These are still early days of my experimentation with Roon. If I do stick with it, I will definitely upgrade my Core. I do like what I see so far, except for this frustration with the Bose Soundbar, which is the most expensive piece of hardware that I own currently, and so have no option of ditching it to get another!

The screenshot of my audio page is attached. As you can see, Roon recognises the Soundbar but only via Airplay, not Chromecast. Here’s the link from the Bose website which talks about this new feature: Chromecast Built-in FAQ | Bose

And yes, I have rebooted concerned devices (Core, Soundbar, Router). I have even done a factory reset of the Soundbar!

Hoping you can help. Thanks!

Hi @Suman_Sinha,

Thank you for posting the screenshot.

Let’s try a RAATServer refresh. You can generate a new RAATServer instance on your device by following these instructions, but please be aware that this will reset your Roon Settings → Audio Tab to factory settings and I would advise making a backup of any custom DSP settings you have:

• Create a Backup of your current Roon database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RAATServer”
  • Rename the “RAATServer” folder to “RAATServer_old”
  • Restart the Roon App to generate a new RAATServer folder

Please let me know if the Bose Soundbar appears among your Chromecast options after the reset. Thanks!

Hi @jamie, I tried out the steps you suggested.

Screenshot from 2022-04-01 22-57-53

But it’s still the same:

Thank you for getting back in touch @Suman_Sinha. I’m reaching out to team for try to figure out the problem.

In the meantime, have you tried power cycling the soundbar and your Core machine, by chance? If not, would you please give that a try?

Thanks @jamie. Yes, I have tried power cycling before. But just to be sure, I did it again just now - both the Core machine and the soundbar. But no luck. Same status as before.

Hey @Suman_Sinha

Can you please try clearing your endpoint cache? You can do so using the following steps:

Note: Deleting these files will

• Log you out of Tidal/Qobuz
  • Delete your endpoint names.
  • Delete saved DSP configs.

If this doesn’t help, please restore the backup you made before trying these steps.

Hi @jamie, I just tried that out, and it didn’t help either.

Thank you for the update @Suman_Sinha. I’m checking with our Senior Tech Support and Hardware Expert for other recommendations. I’ll get back in touch when I have more details.

Hey @Suman_Sinha

It looks like your Core can see that Bose Soundbar 700 but that it’s constantly disconnecting.

This appears to be a Bose issue that may have been corrected in the most recent firmware release. According to posts from Bose Support in the Bose Community on Reddit, Chromecast on Bose isn’t compatible with all streaming services.

You may want to reach out directly to Bose Support for more clarification.

Thanks @jamie for your support.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.