Bricasti M5 - Roon does not see Roon ready device

Roon Core Machine

ROCK Core on NUC8, Roon 2.0 build 1244

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Router - Livebox 6
Ethernet connection: NUC ROCK, Bricasti M5.

I see in router settings:
ROCK IP address : 192.168.2.13
M5 Bricasti IP address : 192.168.2.100

Connected Audio Devices

M5 Bricasti.

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Hello!

In the Roon app among devices the Roon Ready Bricasti M5 - does not appear.

Previously, I had to turn Bricasti M5 on/off many times for Roon to find it.
But now this trick no longer works: Roon does not see the Bricasti M5 at all

Thanks for the help!

Two things worth trying:

• is the Bricasti M5 running the latest firmware ? If not, try upgrading it.

• power down everything, including your router, wait 10 seconds and start it all up again.

thanks for the answer!
I turned everything off and separately from 10 seconds to 1 hour - it did not help.

As for updating the firmware: I have not found information anywhere that this is possible. Do you have experience or do you know where to learn more about this issue?

Do you use a switch or all devices are on the router. Maybe are some settings .What I see in other M5 threads are networking problems, one thread with same problem as yours had to get another swich.
Does M5 have an app?

Edit: Or firewall on router, and some settings

2 Likes

No experience with this device, but firmware has been an issue for other devices. Having said that, I couldn’t see any resources for firmware on the Bricasti website so it may not be an option here.

1 Like

The firmware update can be done via PC connected to the same network as the M5. I too had a problem like you have with my M5 when I first had it in the first few months after it’s release, but only intermittently.

My dealer emailed Bricasti in my behalf, and they emailed me a newer firmware. I flashed it, but it did not do much.

After some communications with my dealer, and since I did not want to send my unit to the US since I don’t live in the US, my dealer obtained for me a new network board directly from Bricasti. The board holds a microSD card. The dealer let me do the replacement myself since I don’t live in the same city as he does, so I did that.

With the new network board, the problems I had disappeared. I did not know for sure if my problem was fixed due to the microSD card or the board itself, or maybe it was just a very early manufacturing glitch. I bought the unit the month it was announced. But, it has been trouble free ever since.

But one thing you could check is access the M5 web UI. The address is 192.168.x.x:8080. Can you access it?

If you could access it, you still have a better chance of doing a firmware upgrade if that is really necessary. Mine has a firmware 1.2 and I am sure it is very old but I don’t think it matters.

Regards and best of luck.

Hogio

2 Likes

Thanks for the information about your experience.

unfortunately I can’t access to the M5 web UI - I put the correct IP address but I can’t login…

The cheapest thing you can try is just try another Ethernet cable. Sometimes, many problems arise from a faulty Ethernet cable. I hoped you give it a try if you have not already.

2 Likes

I tried 5 different cables - the same result: in the router settings, the streamer will get its IP address, but ROON does not see it

:frowning:
Have you tried another app? some other player just to see if it works

I haven’t tried other programs. I am completely satisfied with Roon

Just to see if it works. To know if it is something special that roon needs from the network settings in order for it to see the M5

thanks for the advice
I turned on the Bricasti M5, and in parallel turned on the Naim Muso 2 as a Roon ready device. So, to my surprise, the quickly installed Audirvana and JRiver immediately found Naim Muso, and did not see the Bricasti M5. Roon similarly sees Naim Muso and does not see Bricasti M5. Therefore, I conclude that the problem is in the Bricasti M5.
I purchased it second-hand, so contacting the service will be problematic. Well, it behaves strangely: everything works, it turns on, it just abruptly ceased to be defined by programs as an output device … wow

2 Likes

:frowning:
hope you’ll find a way. Maybe if you contact them they’ll know how to guide you.

A few minutes later I was surprised that Audirvana and JRiver saw the Bricasti M5!
Are there any tricks I can try for Roon?

Most probably I would start troubleshooting the network settings. Like in the post I mentioned above where

Can you do any firmware update on the router?

latest version installed

1 Like

One idea is to try and connect M5 directly to your core. I did that once with Zen Stream. I just bought one usb c to Ethernet dongle and had that on my core machine connecting to the router. And the streamer connected directly to the ethernet port. If you have such a dongle and want to try:

I think it would not simplify things unless there is a problem with the Ethernet adapter of the NUC. From the look of his symptoms, I doubt that’s the case.

1 Like