Roon Core Machine

Roon 1.8 build 814 - both Core and Bridge
Core on QNAP NAS, Bridge on Raspberry PI 3B+

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Marantz ND8006 via USB-DAC

Library Size

Description of Issue

When my player is in standby mode (or switched off) then it’s not visible on the Audio devices list:

When I start my player it immediately becomes visible but in the “Device not found” state:

The same behavior is regardless of the playing mode on the device (USB-DAC, CD, network servers, …)

The only way to make it working is “Scan for devices”. Then it looks and works fine:

That’s required each time the player starts or resumes from standby.

What could be the reason of that?

Try to directly connect the DAC to the QNAP. See if the behavior is the same or different.

That’s not really feasible. I’d need several meters of cable and a few holes in the walls :slight_smile:

However I’ve tried with Roon Bridge installed on Win notebook. And here everything works fine.

So it must be Linux implementation and/or Raspberry related problem.

You just need to move the DAC there to test detection, without all the audio connections.

Hi @Piotr_Pekala

Yeah, that seems to be the case based on your testing.

Was this setup working for you previously? Was there any change to this set up around the time this started happening if so?

It was installed yesterday so that’s a fresh setup.

What can we do in order to diagnose and fix that problem?

The Airplay connection to my player is not really satisfactory, so that’s crucial for me to enable native Roon connection. I can’t imagine to buy a commercial subscription without that.

After re-flash of OS image (recommended Raspberry Pi OS with desktop image v5.10) and installation of Roon Bridge on clear OS the result is exactly the same.

Two other observations:

1. Restart of Ronn Bridge service also solves the problem in two situations:
  • when player is started and visible in Roon (with Device not found tag)
  • when player is inactive - then during next launch of player, Roon shows it for a few seconds as “Device not found” but then it goes to normal state and starts to behave normally.
  1. When I launch player, aplay -l for a while shows “Subdevices: 0/1”. Maybe lack of handling of those statuses in Roon is the reason for the problems described?

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones], device 0: bcm2835 Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones]
Subdevices: 8/8
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
Subdevice #7: subdevice #7
card 0: Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones], device 0: bcm2835 Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones]
card 1: ND8006 [ND8006], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
Subdevices: 0/1
card 1: ND8006 [ND8006], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
Subdevices: 1/1

Hi @Piotr_Pekala

Please note the exact local time + date when this issue next occurs and the name of the track that was playing and upload your Roon Logs from the Core and the bridge by using these instructions. The best way to get them over to me would be via Dropbox / Google Drive, but if you don’t have either service please let me know and I can provide alternate upload instructions.

I’ve already solved this problem. Solution is far from ideal but works if you don’t need to use your device for other audio-related purposes.

There was a conflict between ALSA and pulseuadio (that is being installed on Raspberry PI images with desktop since the beginning of the year) and pulseuadio was locking audio device for 1-2 seconds.

Removal of pulseuadio:

sudo apt -y purge “pulseaudio*”

makes the conflict impossible.

Anyway, better handling of such situation in Roon would be useful for the future and other use cases.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.