Bring back local search / offline functionality for offline Roon Core [restored with Build 1365]

Oh well… at least I’ll be ok because I can’t update to V2.0 until I update the OS on my Roon Core!

:wink:

5 Likes

I will be always on - But when my Internet has an outage, I cannot use Roon anymore - so the local stuff gets more or less useless in such a situation.
I don’t care about the must be online (which is for other products as well) - But as everything is local, the Core should always run - even when there’s no Internet available.
I bought Roon as a Local Software - Not a Central Solution which requires Internet.
And I could not find much about security, when enabling ARC.

10 Likes

Prior to this summer I would have said that a constant-on internet service for Roon is not unreasonable. But twice in the last few months, we experienced AT&T internet outage for 6 hours or more each time.

I understand why Roon requires this but they are incredibly bright, innovative folks and I have to think they could come up with a way to temporarily allow local music playback without requiring the mothership. Is it a show-stopper? No, but it sure would be a great feature for those times when listening to music is far preferred over listening to the family bitch about the internet being out. :smiley:

3 Likes

A post of mine from last year, congratulating Roon on being able to run offline. 1.8 was a stepback - images etc were no longer stored in the database, so it became a much less enjoyable experience using Roon while away. Roon 2.0 is clearly a no go. I will keep my laptop core as 1.8 so at least i can use it albeit without the “rich metadata experience”. But i have to add my +1 to those who are disappointed about offline fuctionality.
I would be very surprised if there is any going back however. Roon want subscribers, and those with big personal libraries, hefty cores and poor Internet access are certainly in the minority…

3 Likes

Please stay on-topic folks. Vote as you desire, but keep it in mind that this forum is not your soapbox.

4 Likes

I agree that this is a bit of a step backwards - however for the rare occasion when internet is down, I will look for other solutions to access and play my local files. JRiver comes to mind…

In my opinion, it’s a minor drawback in exchange for the huge added value of being able to access my library on the go.

3 Likes

Sorry I had to laugh reading your last sentence. I imagine similar thing would happen to me during that time :rofl:

1 Like

The key question is whether Roon (going forwards) can have both mobile access on the go and offline access at home. I don’t know the answer to this, but hope it’s a yes!

3 Likes

Plex can manage it. I mean, its music libraries aren’t nearly as full featured as Roon, but it seems pretty elementary that I can access media on a device on my local network regardless of how well the internet is working.

5 Likes

Please remember this is a “feature suggestion” thread, not a general discussion thread.
There are plenty of those in existence already.
Let’s try and keep comments pertinent to this feature suggestion.
Thank you for your patience and understanding

2 Likes

I would also prefer to retain the ability to play the local files I own without access to the greater internet. All local software of this nature (Plex, etc) works this way, and it is frustrating that Roon seems unable to keep pace.

6 Likes

Vote added! :+1:

1 Like

I vote for ROON playing without internet connection. If some features don’t work then so be it at least I can still listen to my own files

7 Likes

assuming it took 5+ years to get mobile with a few hundred votes lets hope with this it wont take thaaaaat long :wink:

1 Like

I disconnected my Internet connection after upgrading to 2.0 and was still able to play content from my local library. I’m not sure how long this would last though. What I was not able to do with the Internet disconnected was restart Roon Server.

Yesterday, I simulated an Internet down by unplugging the external cable from my router. Right away, I tried to play one album briefly like a minute and then changed to another album and hit play on that second album. The second album stopped playing after 2 seconds, with the progress bar frozen and the play button showing a triangle play button, not a double bar pause button. Pressing that triangle play button did not anything.

So, all in all in about a couple minutes it stopped working.

1 Like

Vote added, we have invested in core machine with storage for local files, ripped cd collections and bought digital albums. But now we cannot play those from our own server from local network w/o internet.

If there were no local albums Roon would not even be needed so it would make sense to better support local album listening.

15 Likes

Full ACK!!!
Its a shame for local library users.

3 Likes

Could the Roon team elucidate why this choice was made?

One of the reasons I’m using Roon, is that it provides me with a good local server to play the music that I bought (and store locally) all around my home without much hassle. Removing this seems like a major step back.

7 Likes

Danny’s reply on another thread gives some further details.