Broke up sound on certain frequencies

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

iMac Pro 2017 OS 10.15.2, Roon v1.7 build 511

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Amplifier wired to network from fiber supplier, Roon core is on 5G wifi through a wired Asus adapter

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

TEXT GOES HERE

Description Of Issue

Hi there @support :slight_smile: I have been quite happy with Roon the last couple of months, but to my surprise I have had some issues with my network I think. I first heard it when listening to an album from the harmonica player Gregoire Maret. I all sounds great when I play it on my imac pro through professional sound recording equipment, but when I listen in my living room through a Hegel 390 and Dynaudio Contour speakers, the sound of the harmonica in particular gets chopped and jagged. I thought I had state of the art network setup here from 3-4 years ago, but I guess I don’t then… :slight_smile: I do not however get the same error when I play straight (wireless) to the amp from Tidal on my phone… Where would you suggets I start looking for errors/“bottle-necks”?

Best regards, Arild Ness

Hi @Arild_Ness,

First, I would confirm that you’re using the newest firmware version for your Hegel and try rebooting the Core + Networking Gear + DAC.

If the issue is still the same afterwards, I would request a screenshot of your Signal Path when there is music playing which shows this issue. Are you using any DSP? I would also try turning that off just in case it’s playing a part here.

Are you playing the same version of the album? TIDAL sometimes has multiple versions available, so I would verify if the same behavior occurs for multiple versions of this album.

Hi again

I still have the same problem with ‘cracking’ harmonicas on several different tracks/albums
To me it sounds like it has something to do with frequency and/or delivery of the stream…
Could I ask you to be so kind and do a check on a system in your end, to see if you get somewhat the same problem?

best regards,
Arild Ness

Hi @Arild_Ness,

Thanks for reaching out again! Can I please ask that you provide the information I requested in my previous post?

The Signal Path tells us a lot of useful information, so please share a screenshot of this when you have a chance, this is an example of what it can look like:

I thought I’d try some harmonica jazz, so I added this from Qobuz -

That is one sh*tty recording, so maybe that’s part of the problem.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.