Browser connection to Antipodes is fine, but remote connection fails 90% of time

Hi. Please can you help. My connection to the antipodes via a web browser runs perfectly.
However, my remote app has only worked once on my phone and never again.
And on my PC, the remote app has worked perhaps a dozen times, but usually taking 20-30 mins to get connected.
And I have no idea what it is that 's getting it to work. (Other than I have rebooted many times!)
The connection is via an airport express connected to my wireless and with an ethernet cable into the antipodes.
Please can you help me get to my music!
Thank you
P

Hi @Peter_Barnes ----- Thank you for the report and my apologies for the troubles here. To help aide in my evaluation of this behavior you are experiencing, can you please provide me with the following information:

1. Besides the airport express, what other networking hardware are you using (i.e router, switch, repeaters, extenders, power line adaptors, ect)? Can you please provide the make and models of these devices, as well as providing a description of what the chain of communication looks like?

2. I understand from your report that you have rebooted numerous times. When you under go this process, is ALL of your equipment power cycled or just the antipodes?

3. Since noticing this behavior with your remotes, have you tried reinstalling the application on those devices? If so, what was the experience like after the install? Was it any different or the same?

-Eric

Hi Eric,
Thank you for getting back to me.
My modem is an iiNet supplied TGiiNet-1 – their entry level NBN modem.
I am on NBN.
The wireless is strong throughout most of the house very strong in the living room where the Antipodes/Roon setup is.

I have tried:
A direct Ethernet (connected directly to modem) to the Antipodes
The Apple base station to the Antipodes
And today I bought a TP link range extender TL-WA850RE to the Antipodes

My laptop is an Asus Zen running Windows 7 64bit

So – Roon is on the Antipodes
I’m using a browser on my laptop to ‘manage’ the Roon install/ applications/settings
And trying laptop/phone (Samsung Note 3) and tablet (Samsung SM T810) to run the Roon Remote App

And with all these setups I have found the Roon Remote application to be very flakey – that is it drops and picks up again – and with the phone/tablet, has been near-impossible to connect

And my perception has been that when the Apple base station is in play – it is actually impacting my network in the house, in that the whole network seemed to be dropping.
Certainly the Remote’s flakeyness was happening more with the Apple in chain, than when I had the Apple out of the mix.

Which is why today I just went and bought another extender/access point – the TPlink

Other things to note are that:
I was definitely able to connect with the Antipodes via my browser at times when the Remote app was failing to make a connection
And I was definitely able to watch a youtube video on my PC while the remote app (on my PC – which is the least flakey remote app) was failing to get a connection.

So, there is definitely a problem with the Remote app not managing to hold a connection, when a connection for other devices is in place.
And there is possibly a specific issue with the Apple base-station, impacting my home network, which seemed to be triggered by my trying to use the Remote app.

Interestingly, this evening I have set things up with the TPlink and initially everything was very flakey, I couldn’t get the phone or tablet to connect at all, but now, in the time I have been sitting here, neither the phone nor the PC Remote app has fallen over. It’s as if something self-corrected in the first 15 mins online. Is that possible?

Best and thank you again.
For reading a LOOOONG post
P

@Peter_Barnes, did you see the email reply I sent you from Antipodes Support in response to your email?

Hi @Peter_Barnes ----- Thank you for following up with me and taking the time answer my questions. Both are appreciated!

I wanted to touch base with you, to see if any new progress or observations have been. Have you tried reinstalling the application yet? Looking forward to your feedback!

-Eric

A post was split to a new topic: Roon remotes not connection to Antipodes Server