Bryston bdp-1 huge pause between tracks

Good day,

i’ve encountered the following problem on bryston bdp-1: when i’m trying to change the track it takes from 3 to 6 minutes until it starts playing, at the same time tracks in the queue play without delay. Another roon endpoints in the same network and roon core do nit have such problems. I suppose the key is some settings in bryston or its firmware etc. I’m not very experienced in this, could bryston users please help ?

just to clarify - problem occurs in tidal, local files switch without delay.

Try logging out in Tidal, and reentering the log in information on the BDP-1. I’m a Qobuz user. Works fine.

I’ve relogged in tidal through roon application on my laptop, but it didn’t help. In bryston I’ve found only rone setting regarding ROON - it is roon ready switch on/off…

Make sure you are signed in to Tidal at Settings>Services (in Roon)

Your BDP-1 settings (mybryston.com) should be configured this way (pictured) for Roon Ready.

Local files attached to the BDP-1 will be accessed via MPD in Services. Roon Ready needs to be selected on the BDP-1, AND you will need to ENABLE the player in Roon (pictured)

In Roon. Settings>Audio

Thank you. I use only roon ready mode of bdp-1. Roon identifies it smoothly while in roon ready mode activated, no problem with that, the only thing that i can’t fix is huge pause between tracks as i’ve already mentioned. I’ve also noticed that memory of bryston shows 93-96% - is that ok, it should be lower?

The BDP-1 struggles a bit with memory. The BDP-2 (with upgraded IAD) is light years ahead performance wise. I have two BDP-2s and a BDP-1 presently in service. The BDP-1 will work fine, but you can see the memory gets taxed easily. Database loading is slow. Is your unit UPDATING every time you turn it on? If so, turn off the UPDATE…Dashboard>MPD tab

Duplicate 10/char

I have both a BDP 1 and 2. Both work fine as endpoints. The key for me was to have the latest software update. Cleared up all issues. Works and sounds great.

Make sure your Roon Server is up to date and has enough horsepower. I use a 2013 Apple IMac with sold state drive.

The BDP-1 is functional. The BDP-2 with IAD smokes the BDP-1. You have to keep the BDP-1 kind of stripped down on functions. The memory will jump over 100% and it has trouble recovering. Database functions eat a lot of the memory.

Is your BDP-2 pre 2015 or factory IAD?

My BDP 2. Is Pre 2015. Added a scratch SSD.

My BDP 1 is matched with BDA 1 works great

Sorry, what doest that mean ?:slight_smile:

All software and firmware are up to date. I have roon rock installed on intel NUC , ssd both for system and storage

You should update the BDP-2 IAD board. Brings sound quality performance up to nearly BDP-3. Chris Rice, the Manic Moose designer says he can’t tell the difference between SQ on the BDP-2 and BDP-3. It’s about a $500 upgrade for the IAD board. Many of the pre-2015s have the updated boards. They were upgraded by consumers.

I use external SSDs on both BDP-2 since I use them mostly in MPD mode. Mid-2015 Bryston started shipping the BDP-2 with the upgraded boards. I use my BDP-1 strictly as a Roon renderer (no drive attached).

When you turn on your BDP-1, does the unit immediately show the letter U under the BDP-1 on the display? This would mean the unit is updating, which uses a lot of memory.

yes, it is updating, but i can’t change this option in MPD because it asks for login and password, i really don’t know where i can get it :slight_smile:

… type bryston in both fields…uncheck the update at startup box in the screen shot I showed you previously.

Here’s a tip…join audiocircle.com

There is a Bryston subgroup. Lots of users there, and Bryston monitors it to some degree and can offer help there as well. User unincognito is Chris Rice, the Manic Moose developer. He’s the expert on the BDPs.

thanks a lot for your help. I’ve turned update at startup off but memory usage is still 96%…