Bryston BDP-2 Disappeared from Roon as Endpoint

I’ve been using a Bryston BDP-2 for streaming HQ Tidal for a number of years. The BDP-2 has always consistently show up as being an endpoint to be used which is attached to my main system. Recently, I had not used the system for several months and when I decided to play it, I find that Roon cannot see it even though the unit says it’s Roon ready. This has consistently happened despite multiple boot attempts. The Sonos speakers all show in Roon as being available via Airplay, although I usually use them with the Sonos controller.

Any help would be most appreciated.

System Make-up:
Core is iMac , OS 10.15.7

27 inch late 2013
Processor 3.5 GHz Quad Core Intel i7
Memory: 16 GB 16 MHz DDR3
Startup disc MacIntosh HD

Roon Build 1.8

Remotes various iPads, iPhone

Network: FIOS Arris Router Model NVG468MQ with ethernet CAT 5/6 cabling into a Cisco 2800 switch

Audio Devices: Auralic Vega dac
Roon Endpoint: Bryston BDP2
Multiple Sonos Zones

Library Details: I use Tidal virtually 99% of the time although I do have a NAS

Did you try switching the BDP back to MPD and trying playing something through that? Then switch it back to Roon Ready? Just to see of all is good with the network and such.

I hate to admit it’s been so long since using it in MPD mode I’ve forgotten how to do it. I guess I’ll need to drag out the manual…

Fire up MM and click the Dashboard button on upper left. If you are already in the dashboard the button in the lower left “playback” is a drop down. Select MPD. It’s proly indicating Roon Ready now. Also looks like there is a firmware update for Bryston now so you may want to consider applying that as well.

I tried to access the unit on the Network putting bryston-bdp-2.local into the browser. It is not coming up at all. Likewise, the BDP-2 is not showing on the network in the finder. I think I’m going to have to take this up with Bryston support. I do appreciate your help though. Thank you.

I have had similar issue(s) with my BDP1. There may be 2 separate Issues at play here:

1. The BDP somehow spontaneously turns MPD back on and thus turns Roon off.

2. Changing from Roon to MPD then renders the BDP unresponsive.

In the case of 2. the advice from Bryston to me was to regain network access by doing a factory reset via the front panel menus/buttons. If this is as per my BDP this is quite fiddly, you only have a very short time between booting and the BDP becoming also non-responsive to the front panel buttons.

Once you’ve successfully reset, then go into dashboard/services from the MM browser and start Roon.

This may be a BDP1 specific issue, but now I always do a factory reset if changing to or from Roon and avoid having anything else set up on the BDP (network shares, Qobuz login etc) when running Roon.

Thanks for the reply. I’ve been trying to speak to Bryston tech support without success for several days. I did receive an email that didn’t help. In any case I have no idea how to do a factory reset from the front panel and I’d be reluctant to do that if I’m not certain I can access the unit from a browser.

Unfortunately, Bryston Sales and Support appears to be MIA. From what I hear, they have been sold and my Bryston Dealer says they got shut down with Covid twice over the past year. Now they are swamped with orders and can’t be bothered to answer the phone. This is not looking good.

This is how Bryston advised me to do a factory reset from the front panel (basically just using right and down arrows in sequence, also see page 30 of MM manual)

“Push right arrow button, down to settings (top line), push right, down till reset global settings is on the top line, then push right. The menu layout can be found on the last page of the manic moose manual.

http://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDP/Manic%20Moose%20Manual.pdf“

If it’s the same problem I had, the difficult part is that you only have a v. short time after start up before the front panel also becomes unresponsive. It worked for me after a number of attempts (ie turning off and on again if unsuccessful, to have another go)

At your own risk of course, but as far as I can see, if your BDP is already unusable you either succeed in resetting or you don’t.

You could also try getting Bryston’s attention on the Bryston Audiocircle Bryston Limited (esp. @unincognito)

Just a thought, have you tried entering “my.bryston dot com“ in your browser instead of “ bryston-bdp-2.local ” probably no difference but worth a check first

Mystery Solved!
So I received a call back from Bryston Tech (Chris Rice) and we figured out that even though my Core iMac stated it had an active wired ethernet connection, it in fact didn’t. It was running off WiFi. My son had unplugged a cable from the router. Sorry to have wasted everyone’s time.