Budget DAC recommendation?

Sorry to hear this.
I’m baffled.
Screenshots of your audio settings and signal path might help.
Roon support may ask for this as well so it would give you a head start.

Yes will upload and start a support thread

2 Likes

Hi Peter,

I also recommend iFi, for example, USB-dac iFi audio ZenDac v2

Up to 32 bit 384 Khz PCM and DSD 256

Within budget, shows bitrate (coloured led light around the volume dialer), single ended + balanced headphone amp, preamp function (can be switchedoff). Powered by USB or bypass power by iFi Ipower 2.
Most important it comes with USB-2 drivers (can be downloaded after registering the DAC (or by entering the serial number).
Works great on my Windows PC. Disclaimer for MAC because I do not own that.
Hans

1 Like

Your issue is somewhere else, not the DAC. You need to do some logical diagnosis to sort out your issues
The DAC is nearly at the end of your audio chain, highly unlikely it’s the problem

3 Likes

Look at the (portable) ifi DAC’s very good quality equipment not so pricey!

I had similar issues with a different (and somewhat more expensive DAC, Pontus II) The problem was not the DAC or the Mac, it was the USB cable. I went with a fancy and expensive USB cable and had nothing but problems with the config disappearing as a Roon endpoint. Powering off the DAC/Roon and restarting it sorted it for a short time. I tried different DAC’s, switched between Mac and a Raspberry Pi feeding the DAC, wifi and hardwired connections. The issue in the end was the USB cable. After moving back to a basic generic USB cable the problem went away completely.

3 Likes

Mind blown. I’ll try a new usb cable for giggles.

I would look at the Pro-ject S2 Digital. Punches way above Its weight class

2 Likes

Hi @Peter_Rustin -

Also a Mac user - my DAC is a Schiit Gungnir multibit that I’ve had for a few years now. Lately, not sure exactly when, perhaps after I updated to Ventura, my Mac often doesn’t recognize the DAC when I plug it in. I use my laptop as a remote, so the DAC is unplugged during the day while I’m at work and gets plugged back in when I get home. It never loses its connection once it recognizes the DAC, but I usually have to try several times, with the DAC on or off, Roon open or not, before the MacBook Pro will ‘see’ the DAC. I have had times where the only fix was a reboot of the Mac.

Not sure it’s a related issue, and no, I haven’t tried a different cable yet (no hub and the DAC has its own power supply) but it seems like a recent problem, and maybe Ventura related. I did get a new cable when I got this laptop - all USB-C, so I got an Audioquest Forest USB cable - nothing fancy, but maybe that’s the issue.

I suppose that’s not actually helpful to you, but I wanted to toss another Mac/DAC data point in there. When I have some time, I’ll swap out the cable and let you know.

Could it be all the plugging and unplugging wearing the connectors on the cable or port on the laptop? :thinking:
If so, hopefully cable and not the port on the laptop… :grimacing:

1 Like

Assuming that’s directed at me, the laptop has 3 ports and the port I connect to doesn’t seem to make a difference as to whether the DAC gets recognized. That still doesn’t rule out the cable itself.

1 Like

I hit Reply to you, @kneville, but it did not link or show that it was a reply… maybe i am doing it wrong? Not sure how else to reply than to hit the “reply” under your post. oh well, not a big deal as you got the message…

1 Like

I’m really thinking that this is a Ventura issue, and so remain less than hopeful it will ever be resolved…

@kneville … See now @Peter_Rustin was able to get the “reply” to work…must be me…