Bug in volume control after use of keyboard shortcut [Ticket In]

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Win 10 NUC i5-5250u build 610

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

All endpoints and core wired with unmanaged switches
Unifi AP for wireless

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Meridian MS600

Description Of Issue

After pausing music and the DSP5000 and MS600 being put into standby by ROON when play is pressed and then volume adjusted ROON thinks it is still at the volume before standby so volume jumps to this setting. Meridian is set to come out of standby on a lowish volume, either MS600 isn’t reporting this change or ROON doesn’t query on restart. Not sure what’s possible here!

Hi @Hectorson,

Does this issue impact any non-meridian zones as well or did you just notice it on Meridian gear?
Can I please ask that you let me know the exact local time + date + track you see this issue with?

Hi Norris,

I don’t have any other zones that automatically go into standby using the ROON feature.

Issue reproduced at 16.53BST 2nd Oct Track playing was Shy FX, Balaclava

Further investigation shows that this is only reproducible using the keyboard shortcut (Ctrl + Up). When the mouse is used the volume returns to its start up volume as expected.

I’m having some other challenges with a RAM module that is failing so you may see other errors in the logs prior to this.

Thanks

1 Like

Thanks for the information @Hectorson. I’ve enabled diagnostics mode for your account and what this action should do is automatically upload a log set next time your Core is active. Once this is received, I’ll take a look to see if there are any further clues in logs.

Hello @Hectorson,

Thanks for your patience here while the team has had a chance to review logs!

According to our technical team’s findings, it appears that your Study Zone is going to standby and then failing to communicate with Roon afterwards.

We ran some tests in the QA lab with similar gear, and have been unable to reproduce this issue on our end.

How are you putting the 251 to sleep, are you using the IR remote as well or only through Roon?

Hi Noris,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I’m not using the remote for the MS600 (not 251, I don’t own one!) the ROON standby feature is doing the work.

The interesting thing with this is that it works completely as expected when I use the GUI input for volume control but not when I use the keyboard shortcut. This is 100% reproducible with a sample of 20.

When the keyboard is used for the last volume control input ROON doesn’t process the return to a startup volume, when the mouse is used it does.

Hope this helps!

Matt

Hi Noris,

Just made myself jump with a further manifestation of this bug…

It turns out that I don’t have to wait for the system to be put into standby to reproduce the issue.

I can make a volume change using the keyboard and then use the Meridian remote, the volume change made with the remote is not reflected in Roon. If I then make a change with the mouse followed by the Meridian remote the volume change is reflected in Roon.

This can then leave a large difference between volumes and a click in the wrong place leads to the aforementioned shock!

Hope this helps track down the cause.

Thanks,
Matt

If there’s anyone out there with an MS600 using the digital output to Meridian speakers that could try and replicate I’d be grateful, just to help eliminate variables!

Thanks, Matt

Next instalment!

This is not restricted to my MS600 zone. It also happens with a SBT using the device volume.
It also does not happen on an android remote, so if I recreate the steps to make sure that the Core does not reflect endpoint volume changes the android remote will show the correct volume. This means that the endpoint and android remote show the correct volume whilst the core shows a different volume and then when adjusted from the core jumps to the new volume.

I’d love to solve this as I use the keyboard sat my desk a lot more at the moment and periodically get a blast at the wrong volume!

Matt

Hellooo?! @support

This must intrigue someone?!

Hi @Hectorson,

I have a SBT in my home lab and I can give this a try to see if the issue reproduces. Just to be clear, can you please confirm these are the steps you used to reproduce the issue?

1. Have music playing to SBT zone
  2. Adjust the volume from the SBT itself to something low
  3. Stop playback to SBT zone
  4. Start playback again to SBT zone
  5. Use Volume Keyboard Command (Control + Up) to try to change volume

Do these steps sound correct or am I missing any?

Hi Noris,

The first thing is that this is not zone/hardware dependent and can be reproduced on all zones in my environment 100% reliably.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Make volume change with keyboard shortcut on core.

2. Make volume change with any other device inc. a roon remote or endpoint device volume control.

At this point the core GUI does not reflect the change in volume

1. To confirm I then make a volume change on the core but using the mouse.

The device volume then jumps to the volume that is expected by the core.

1. Make a volume change with any roon remote or device volume control.

The volume is then reflected by the core and no issue presents.

Hope this helps.

Matt

1 Like

Hi @Hectorson,

Thanks for clarifying those steps, let me get them over to our QA team for further testing!

Hi @Hectorson,

I wanted to touch base with some good news, which is that our technical team has been able to reproduce this behavior and we’ve opened up a bug report with our developers.

While I can’t say for certain when this bug will be fixed, getting things reproduced in-house is a critical first step, and I will keep this thread up to date as the team passes along feedback and work begins to get this resolved.

Thanks again for the report!

@support,

Is there any progress on this?

Hi @Hectorson ,

I took a look at our internal tracker today, and I can see that your ticket is still in our development queue.

This means our developers are still planning to look at this, but we don’t yet have a timeframe for when that’s going to happen.

Once the ticket has been scheduled and work begins, I’ll have a better sense of timing here. Thanks in advance for your patience!

@support

Is there any update on the volume control being fixed? Its broken and causing the volume to jump when I swap control devices.

Hello @Hectorson ,

We have just released a new build of Roon, can you please confirm if you are still seeing this same issue on the latest build? QA has not been able to reproduce the issue on this release, but if you’re still seeing the behavior, please let us know and we can take another look, thanks!

All seems well at first look. Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.