BUG: Roon incorrectly imports from folders with similar names

Roon Core Machine

MacMini, 2.3Ghz Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM

Networking Gear & Setup Details

• Ethernet connection → Netgear gigabit switch (GS108) → Ubiquiti managed switch (US-16-150W)

Connected Audio Devices

• EAD DSP-1000 via MacMini optical output/TOSLink1
  • OktoResearch DAC8 via built-in Pi running RoPieeeXL via ethernet/gigabit switch
  • 2020 MBP via WiFi

Number of Tracks in Library

• 1750 albums / 19,200 tracks

Description of Issue

Roon is configured to automatically import muisc from my “media” volume (i.e., directory path /Volumes/media), which it does with no trouble.

However, whenever an external volume is mounted, Roon begins scanning and importing from the new ly-attached drive. Specifically, I have Carbon Copy Cloner configured to automatically mount an external disk for nightly backup of /Volumes/media – as soon as the backup drive is mounted, Roon begins scanning and importing, resulting in duplicate copies of everything in the library (yes, it took me quite a while to figure out what was happening!) When the drive is unmounted, the duplicates disappear.

My concern is that Roon churns the system furiously during backups, and this is a recipe for data corruption. Any thoughts on what’s going on, and/or suggestions to fix?

Thanks

kobi

When you plug in the external drive it is automatically mounted under the folder that Roon watches. This causes Roon to index it, which is the behaviour you’re seeing.

Your solutions are to monitor the folders below media that you’re interested in individually OR to find the mount name for the external drive and exclude it. Hope that helps.

No, the backup drive is mounted at /Volumes, adjacent to the internal volume:

Looking at the screenshot I just uploaded, it occurs to me that Roon may be including the /Volumes/media backup path due to a misconfigured wild-card search. Experimenting …

It feels as though a mount point that’s getting scanned has to be the answer the only question is how? That said I’ve been wrong plenty and haven’t given it up for lent so…

Good luck :slight_smile:

Confirmed – renaming the external disk so it doesn’t begin with ‘media’ immediately halts the spurious importing. Switching back and forth between naming the external drive ‘media backup’ and ‘my media backup’ reliably starts/stops the errant behavior.

So … this is a bug: the configured path of a storage folder, e.g. /Volumes/media, will actually result in a wildcard match on /Volumes/media*.

kobi

1 Like

On Linux systems, USB drives mount to /media, so this may explain things. Nonetheless, the path you’ve set includes the entire drive; is that what you intended?

Yes, that’s my intent.

Renaming this thread as a bug report.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.