Build 102 Cannot play 24/192 tracks anymore [fixed]

When I try to play 24/192 tracks from my local library on my AURALIC Aries, they fade out with some noise after about 15 seconds. 24/96 tracks work without issues.

I use the same files with Lightning Server from the Aries. That works without any problem. Build 99 played them too.

HW: i7 (for Roon only), 16GB, files on local SSD, GB Ethernet (wired), Aries (wired)

Thanks for the report @MacMusic – could you upload a file you’re having issues with to Dropbox (or similar) and PM me a link? We’ll try to reproduce in house, but it may be easier with the same files you’re using.

Also, what DAC are you using?

My Aries is directly connected to Avantgarde Acoustic Zero 1 XD speakers, which have an internal DAC.

I have tried many different files, e.g. Herbie Hancock Maiden Voyage (Bluenote). You most probably have it.

Maybe this helps:

02/05 23:05:15 Trace: [zoneplayer/raat] sync AURALiC ARIES (ARIES Digital Outputs): realtime=1939032589641 rtt=0us offset=985967350us delta=-500us drift=-124us in 21,687524s (-5,731ppm, -20,632ms/hr)
02/05 23:05:18 Debug: [prebuffer] status 1920000/1920000 (100%) @ 22/476 sec
02/05 23:05:19 Trace: [transport/raatclient] SENT {“request”:“update_transport”,“quiet”:true,“status”:{“loop”:“disabled”,“shuffle”:false,“state”:“playing”,“seek”:20,“stream_format”:{“sample_type”:“pcm”,“sample_rate”:192000,“bits_per_sample”:24,“channels”:2},“now_playing”:{“title”:“Maiden Voyage”,“artist”:“Herbie Hancock”,“composer”:“Herbie Hancock”,“length”:476,“album”:“Maiden Voyage”,“one_line”:“Maiden Voyage - Herbie Hancock”,“two_line_title”:“Maiden Voyage”,“two_line_subtitle”:“Herbie Hancock”}}}
02/05 23:05:19 Trace: [transport/raatclient] SENT {“request”:“update_transport”,“quiet”:true,“status”:{“loop”:“disabled”,“shuffle”:false,“state”:“playing”,“seek”:21,“stream_format”:{“sample_type”:“pcm”,“sample_rate”:192000,“bits_per_sample”:24,“channels”:2},“now_playing”:{“title”:“Maiden Voyage”,“artist”:“Herbie Hancock”,“composer”:“Herbie Hancock”,“length”:476,“album”:“Maiden Voyage”,“one_line”:“Maiden Voyage - Herbie Hancock”,“two_line_title”:“Maiden Voyage”,“two_line_subtitle”:“Herbie Hancock”}}}
02/05 23:05:19 Trace: [transport/raatclient] SENT {“request”:“update_transport”,“quiet”:true,“status”:{“loop”:“disabled”,“shuffle”:false,“state”:“playing”,“seek”:22,“stream_format”:{“sample_type”:“pcm”,“sample_rate”:192000,“bits_per_sample”:24,“channels”:2},“now_playing”:{“title”:“Maiden Voyage”,“artist”:“Herbie Hancock”,“composer”:“Herbie Hancock”,“length”:476,“album”:“Maiden Voyage”,“one_line”:“Maiden Voyage - Herbie Hancock”,“two_line_title”:“Maiden Voyage”,“two_line_subtitle”:“Herbie Hancock”}}}
02/05 23:05:19 Trace: [transport/raatclient] SENT {“request”:“update_transport”,“quiet”:true,“status”:{“loop”:“disabled”,“shuffle”:false,“state”:“playing”,“seek”:23,“stream_format”:{“sample_type”:“pcm”,“sample_rate”:192000,“bits_per_sample”:24,“channels”:2},“now_playing”:{“title”:“Maiden Voyage”,“artist”:“Herbie Hancock”,“composer”:“Herbie Hancock”,“length”:476,“album”:“Maiden Voyage”,“one_line”:“Maiden Voyage - Herbie Hancock”,“two_line_title”:“Maiden Voyage”,“two_line_subtitle”:“Herbie Hancock”}}}
02/05 23:05:19 Trace: [transport/raatclient] GOT [-1] {“status”:“Success”}
02/05 23:05:19 Trace: [zoneplayer/raat] sync AURALiC ARIES (ARIES Digital Outputs): realtime=1943595089617 rtt=0us offset=985967343us delta=-7us drift=-131us in 26,2500315s (-5,022ppm, -18,078ms/hr)

Ok, thanks @MacMusic – we’ll do some testing and follow up if we need more info. Unsure if this is our issue or something with the Aries, but sorry for the trouble in any case.

I don’t know, if it is the Aries. But it worked well with build 99. if you need more logging information, just let me know.

I have downgraded to build 99 again. It plays without issues. So all fine for me now

You can notify me, when you have a fix or update to test.

Is there any progress on concerning this topic?

Hi @MacMusic – we haven’t heard any reports of this from other Aries users, but we’ll take another look. Can you let me know what version of Aries firmware you’re running?

Hi Mike,

I am using firmware version 3.1. The problem looks like I would have a slow network. The seconds in the control apps progress bar jump in 3-4 seconds steps. After 20 seconds it stops playing. You have most probably seen this already in the log.

I have a wired connection, fix IP address.

The network is not slow. While playing 24/96 files I have copied 500 GB with a speed of >100 MB/s in parallel without any playback issue. The cpu just idles.

Maybe you solve it with your next version. Shoud be ready soon, isn’t it?

Best regards,
Kai-Uwe

OK, we’re going to investigate this and try to reproduce the issue. If we can reproduce this, we should be able to resolve this.

Thanks for the report @MacMusic!

Hey @MacMusic – we tried to reproduce this but we weren’t able to, despite the fact that our setup is very similar to yours, at least as far as we know. Something must be different, so we need to figure out what that is.

Can you post a screenshot of your settings in Lighting DS so we can replicate the setup?

Also, any chance you’re using UPnP media server features on the device, or anything else that might be taxing the CPU in a way that’s different from our setup? Maybe a hard drive plugged in, that you could try disconnecting temporarily?

I’m sure we’ll be able to resolve this once we can reproduce the issue, so let me know as much detail as you can and we’ll take another shot at it.

Thanks!

Hi Mike
My first post, and, from a very impressed and happy Roon user.
FYI as of this weekend I too have been unable to play 24/192 flac files successfully. They play for a minute of two before there is some warbling for a couple of seconds followed by silence. The Aries can either continue to count down the track as though it is receiving data or, it stops. In one instance earlier today it went silent and then began to display a very slow count for a few seconds before stopping. Restarting the track doesn’t help but the next track will start ok from the PC before it too gives up.
My setup is a QNAP TS-451 server, Windows 10 PC then to the Auralec Aries. All connections are high capacity ethernet/switches.
The DAC is a Nuprime IDA-16 integrated digital amp. I tested the various albums using Lightning DS - no problem. As an interim fix I am using Roon to reduce resolution down to 24/96 and then everything works fine. And…everything has been rebooted a couple of time as well. I also checked that the QNAP is running SMB 3.0 - something I saw mentioned in some posts from last year. DLNA Media server is running on the QNAP but that has been the case for a while. I can’t think of anything that has changed within the music ‘system’.
An awkward problem but I can’t help but feel the problem is in Roon rather than anywhere else in the chain.

Best regards

Pieter

Sorry for you. But good to read that I am not the only one.

Guilty as charged :anguished:

This is fixed for our upcoming 1.2 release, guys. Sorry for the trouble!

Thanks for the advice Mike. Really appreciate hearing from you so promptly and great to know there is a fix in the wind.

Cheers

P

1 Like

fixed! thank you

2 Likes