Build 102 HQP issues

@anon94274355 Are you experiencing the hiccups only when using ‘auto’ ? also do you get the hiccups when running HQP just by itself or using Roon +HQP? Whenever I had hiccups (more like a pause, not scratchy), it has always been my network.

@KMan Only when the “Auto rate family” is enabled in preferences. Once I disable it everything plays fine. The Issues with playback are present with and without Roon.

The song still fully plays but there is like a pulse or hiccup sound that is underneath that you slightly hear every 5 seconds or so.

@anon94274355 This looks more like a HQP problem, you may want to post it at the HQPlayer thread in CA forum, you may get a quicker response.

No rush. Jussi is here active in this thread, so l’m confident it will be fixed with future versions of the HQP betas.

@KMan Everything seems to be working great now with “Auto rate family” not sure if any update was done on the NAA software side, but whatever it was it’s now working. Note, I haven’t done anything to the network, just restarted the Sonicorbiter and tried the ARF preference again in HQP and all now works flawless so far (1.5 hours continuous playback with different bit rates and DSD files).

@anon94274355 Glad everything back to mormal. Nothing works like the good ol’ restart!

1 Like

The issue is back, maybe @jussi_laako can help me … I’m thinking it has to do with bit rate changing from what was it’s previous setting “Auto rate family” checked (happens when playing radio mode which stops playback and I have to hit the disconnect link).

For the time being I’m just going to use RoonReady in the SonicOrbiter SE which just works consistently. When using HQP I constantly have to quit/restart/reboot/disconnect link all at various times to get it to play, and I sometimes find it just a hassle to deal with even though it does provide improved SQ.

@anon94274355 Are you using HQPlayer 3.13.2 or something else?

@Jussi I’m using 3.13.1, I didn’t realize 3.13.2 was out. I’ll install it now and hopefully that fixes the issue.

@jussi. I installed 3.13.2 and redbook plays fine so far with “Auto rate family” checked but now I just get a hissing when playing a DSD file (and my dac screen still says 352.8), 3.13.1 had no problem play DSD128.

My 4 settings are poly-sinc-mp / NS5 / Auto / Auto.

The Sonicoribiter was rebooted and RoonServer restarted too.

@jussi, Now DSD does not even work in RoonReady (just hissing)? I’m sorry but I think HQPlayer does something that messes up CoreAudio in OSX… unfortunately I’m having too many hiccups of things not working, it may be time to give up using HQP although it sounds get, too many headaches of thing just not working all time (I’m not a tweaker who enjoys problem solving when it comes to CA).

With direct integer mode, CoreAudio will get messed up if two applications try to use same device simultaneously. OS X is one big pain.

So how do I get it to work?

3.13.1 worked… but now I’ve tried multiple times restarting / disconnects / shutting down / unplugging… no luck at all.

For now I’ve just turned off DoP so it plays my DSD files as PCM 352.8… not the best solution though.

With these settings?

[quote]For now I’ve just turned off DoP so it plays my DSD files as PCM 352.8… not the best solution though.
[/quote]

What is your expected outcome? With DSD capable DACs, most people would prefer PCM to DSD upsampling so they would set the last one to “SDM” instead of “Auto”.

I prefer PCM over DSD for most of what I listen too.

I listen to a lot of hard rock, metal and bass driven music and I find for the most part DSD sounds too relaxing and smooths the sound and the bass doesn’t seem to be as punchy/powerful to my ears.

Yes, 3.13.1 had no problem playing dsd with the above setting playing radio in roon it would playing 358.2 / 384 / DSD128, but 2 things would eventually start to happen 1. There would be a constant hiccup or pulse underneath the music every few seconds 2. in radio mode it would just not play the next song, I had to hit the disconnect link and then play almost every song.

Only change between 3.13.1 and 3.13.2 is fix in matrix/convolution processing for the DSD -> PCM case…

The case you are describing is working for me, so I’m trying to figure out how to reproduce the problem.

@jussi I was finally able to get DSD after going through the same steps as before except I changed “auto” to “sdm (DSD)”. Ultimately my preference would be to keep pcm as pcm and the 100 or so DSD albums as DSD… This is why like liked the addition of the “auto” and “auto rate family”

@Jussi, I just wanted to see now that I have DSD working again, what would happen if I switched to “Auto” and checked “Auto family rate” and all is working now as it should and as of right now both issues I had before are gone.

Could the issue of been caused by installing 3.13.2 and having my settings on “Auto” and not “SDM (DSD)” or having the “Auto family rate” checked?

@Jussi, Sorry but the same issue just happened with the “There would be a constant hiccup or pulse underneath the music every few seconds” when switching from 384 to 352.8 and note there was no issue going from DSD128 to the next song which was 384 but the issue appears going from 384 to the next song which is 352.8.

After playing multiple songs of different fomats only 44.1 up-sampled to 352.8 has this issue.

@Jussi I was playing around in the settings to see if I could get rid of this constant hiccup or pulse underneath the music every few seconds that happens when the sample rate is 352.8 with auto rate family selected, after playing a 384 song.

When I changed the max sample rate from 384000 down to 192000 this issue is solved, although I seem to be getting more stops in radio playback mode then I’ve noticed in the past few months.

To reiterate when I turn on my DAC and the first thing I play are 352.8 tracks, everything is fine, but once I play a 384 track every 352.8 track after that has these issue.

Can you please comment on your thoughts as I haven’t received any feedback from you regarding this issue.