Build 1324 feedback and staged releases

same here, no update for Server and roon, still on Build 1311
ARC had an update on my phone to Build 220

but i read that:

New releases will continue to ship to all Roon subscribers, but in certain cases updates will initially only be available to some users, with others receiving it a day or two later in most cases.

Yes, but also

Today’s release includes changes that enable our team to roll out new releases to the Roon user base in stages

So I would naively think B1324 must first be rolled out to begin with before future staged rollouts can happen.

Though maybe it’s enough if this release is available online and the staging starts right now from the old B1311 to the new B1324

It’s ambiguous

3 Likes

If they messed up in that manner then the ‘new release’ post should be taken down.

Instead they just corrected the release number.

I’m bored with this. Out to do some yard work. :wink:

Roon should STOP doing releases on Fridays. Invariably, there are problems with almost every new release. Do releases early in the week only.

7 Likes

I also note that the post that is supposed to show latest versions at all times still shows 1311:

(This post should always be pinned to the top but Discourse does not allow that; or to precise, it is a forum-wide option to enable pinned posts to become sticky ones at the top. But this is not enabled on this forum and by default it gets unpinned if you read it and then disappears far down in the list)

This also still shows Arc as 214/216, but I’ve seen several posts today of people claiming having updated to Arc build 220…

Today’s announcement doesn’t make sense in the light of what’s happened. Something went wrong and Roon staff should by now have cleared things up…

1 Like

Definitely updated my Arc to B220 this morning and I just verified this to be the case.
As for Roon itself I still only see B1311 and my server stating I have the latest version…

Yeah this post seems not to have been updated at all

In the release notes I read

New releases will continue to ship to all Roon subscribers, but in certain cases updates will initially only be available to some users, with others receiving it a day or two later in most cases.

Beside the initial invalid build number could this be the reason most people do not get the update?

If you’re going to read the release notes, please read the whole thing :slight_smile:

In the future, be sure to check our release notes if the latest update is not available to you. When an update is being released with a “staged” rollout, the release notes will notify Roon users and will provide additional details about when everyone can expect to get the latest changes.

The release notes of 2.0.24 do not state anything about this specific release being staged. Based on the above, the release would be delivered to everyone at once (and not gradually).

When I try to update Roon shuts down then doesn’t reopen. I click on the shortcut and no response, it seems to have been moved? I reinstalled but then it says there’s an update notice, but closes down and doesn’t reopen again. HELP\

To get proper help focused on your particular case It would be good if you open your own new topic in Support for this and fill out the questions about your system,

And then we have other threads where people do get update prompts starting from 1311 but after updating it keeps popping up the same update prompt like here:

And then we have this:

There seems to have been a staged update process after all, which the release notes did not make clear at all. Some (many?) users who could update to 1324 experienced problems. This guy seems to have figured out what was a problem for users on Windows.

And during all this, not a word from Roon support. To me, this looks more like a social experiment than a product update by a reputable software company.

1 Like

It probably is a staged update. I just find this whole debacle rather sad:

• Releasing on a Friday. Not a good idea.
  • “minor bug fixes and improvements”. Can we be even more vague than this? :sweat_smile:
  • Explicitly stating you’re only doing staged releases when the release notes say so. Then from day 1 doing the opposite thing.
6 Likes

To add some more points:

• Publishing erroneous patch notes
  • Don’t react to hints and questions in any way

Then watching the drama on the forum unfold but still no reaction/statement of any kind (pinned thread for example).

5 Likes

Thank you, I noticed after I sent this that there were many others having the same issue but will know better how to submit a ticket next time.

It’s a bit of a mess currently. Normally it is nearly always better to open a new topic rather than attaching to ongoing ones because issues can look similar but may have different causes and solutions depending on specific setups.

In your case many people have the same issue anyway :frowning: I was just concerned that yours might get overlooked because in this particular thread here, people tend to be discussing the meta issues with how Roon handled this update, rather then the individual specific problems it is causing for users. The problem you are experiencing is most likely the one here, and there is a workaround:

FYI:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-fails-to-open-after-latest-update-ref-kytxck/252673/27?u=suedkiez

2 Likes

Evidently not -

A really confusing and ambiguous release announcement…