Build 521 broke two out of three of my music kiosk computers

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

MacOS 10.13.6 / Mac Pro 3,1 (2008), 12 GB RAM / Roon 521

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Built in wired gigabit Ethernet (all devices)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Machine #1: Mac Mini 2010 running Windows 10 (latest patches) + Oppo UDP-205 via USB
Machine #2: iMac 2008 running Windows 10 (latest patches) + Oppo HA-2 via USB

I use old obsolete Macs in my house for Roon kiosks in my three music zones. Two of the three machines I run in Windows 10 (Boot Camp) in order to take advantage of Oppo ASIO drivers. This has worked well for nearly two years. The third Mac (a Macbook 2009) can also run Windows but spends most of its time in MacOS since it there for an Oppo 203 that doesn’t have a USB link.

Roon 521 is causing showstopper problems. The Mac Mini now won’t complete the launch of Roon at all, just comes up and the application locks up with a “can’t respond” message to Windows. The iMac does launch Roon but the screen is unreadable save for an album cover artwork…no text discernable. I’ll include a screen shot. The iMac WILL play music though, but it’s only practically controlled from another machine.

If I run either Mac in MacOS, Roon 521 does work. The Macbook 2009 can also run Roon 521 in MacOS or Windows 10 without complaints. I’ve tried a new install of Roon on both machines with no success (although I did not uninstall the old version first…I might try that next).

I’d drop these two machines back to 511 if I could since I can’t use them as is, unless I boot to MacOS.

Yeah, that’s the problem with BootCamp. One is dependent on the drivers that Apple includes.

It looks like Build 521 needs newer Windows drivers than what BootCamp has.

Still, tagging @support.

Perhaps but one of my old boot camp Macs is still working. Has to be something more specific going on.

One more data point…

I uninstalled Roon 521 on the Mac Mini machine that was freezing up, including the databases. Upon reinstall, I ran Roon and was greeted with the screen asking me to choose a Core again. That looked good so I did, then Roon brought up the main screen and locked up again. It looks like it may have been trying to load album covers and failed, or was doing something else before that happened and failed. Here’s the screen shot.

Hi @Sevenfeet,

Can you send us logs for each machine? Please use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link.

Thanks!

Here’s the link:

The text issue with my iMac 2008 seems to be shared among other users I’ve seen in that ATI graphics seems to be the common factor. This machine has a old Radeon HD 2600 HD at its graphics core.

The Mac Mini is a Nvidia 320m graphics machine and is experiencing a lockup shortly after Roon client launches so it seems to be a different problem. I launched both clients shortly before compressing the log folder to send so you should have good fresh data.

Mine has a similar problem with ATI graphics…mine is an older Radeon 2600 XT.

Thanks for sending those over, @Sevenfeet — I’ve passed this along to the team and we’ll be sure to follow up as soon as more information is available.

Those are the log files for the core machine only, which I’m not sure how helpful that is. I can try to find the log files for the Windows machines and get them to you.

Hi @Sevenfeet,

Yes, if you can please locate the logs from each client affected by this behavior that would be helpful. You can use the same instructions to locate the logs there, the folder would be under %localappdata%/Roon/Logs.

Sorry this took so long to get to you. Here is a dropbox link to the client log files, both on Windows 10 running on old Macs. The Mac Mini is the one that freezes on launch. The iMac is the one with the ATI text error seen by others.

1 Like

Hi @Sevenfeet,

Thanks for sending those logs over and no worries regarding the delay. I have added a link to your logs to your case notes.

The investigation is currently with QA but if we need any more information we’ll be sure to reach out, thank you!

Hello,

We’ve released a new update, Roon 1.7 Build 528, which contains improvements that we believe will help with the issues you are experiencing here. Please see our release notes below:

Thanks,
The Team At Roon Labs

A post was split to a new topic: Roon hang on Windows 10

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.