Build 521 - Can not find Core on Unraid 6.7

Answer: I did not do that.  Did not know I could.

If a crash occurs again should I first try to reboot core and reboot router, before re-install?

If a crash occurs again (that requires re-installing or rebooting the core), Should I do log copies, or any other copies, before I re-install or reboot the core?

Hi @Robert_Blakely,

Yes

Also yes.

Please do both of the above and let us know if there is any change. Ideally, before starting with a fresh database, you can let us know and we can get the logs, enable diagnostics, and do some additional troubleshooting to find out the cause and get things resolved without a re-install.

My last update before this one was to 1.7 build 521 and updating caused a crash. Happening again with update to 536. My core’s path to the logs is \TOWER\rootshare\appdata\RoonServer\Logs
This time I am getting you the logs before i try anything like restart, or re-install. Here is the RoonServer and RAATServer logs OneDrive link to my Roon log files

I did re-boot the machine that has the core, but it did not fix anything, but it may have generated the 2nd log file. The other log file, I think is before I rebooted. I have not re-installed yet and will wait for instructions.

Last time Dylan said if a crash occurs again (that requires re-installing or rebooting the core), to do log copies, before I re-install or reboot the core
And you said ideally, before starting with a fresh database, you can let us know and we can get the logs, enable diagnostics, and do some additional troubleshooting to find out the cause and get things resolved without a re-install.

Hi @Robert_Blakely,

Thanks for the update — I’ve moved your post back to the original discussion and I’ll get the logs over to the team for analysis.

I don't know why my text did not wrap, or hopw to fix it. 

About 2 weeks ago Roon stopped working and before rebuilding the database, I did a power cycle of the Unraid NAS, and it fixed the problem, so I did not need to rebuild. But with crashes on version updates, the power cycle does not fix anything.
Also, this time, before power cycle, there was only one log file in folder RoonServer logs, even though it was running for about a month and I did a power cycle once 2 weeks ago. Then after the pwoecycle yesterday, it seemed to have created one more log file.
The folder RAATServer had 5 or 10 log files, so I shared those also in the same latest link.

Hi @Robert_Blakely,

This is definitely strange — In what you sent I only see two log files, both from 4/21.

Do you have any application running that might alter the directory where Roon is stored? In the logs we are seeing traces of corruption in these files, which can certainly happen if something is altering the database while Roon is writing to it. This, along with the fact that logs are missing, definitely point so something on the machine not working properly with Roon.

Can you elaborate on exactly how and where Roon is installed? It looks like something with the Docker is not configured properly to allow Roon to continue functioning how it should. Could you install Roon on this machine without Docker?

If you scroll up to my Feb 20 post you can see a graphic of my docker setup for roon. And my very first post shows my hardware and OS. I can not guess what is corrupting the roon database. So I will start over:

1. Instead of just rebuilding the library and database, should also re-install the Roon app docker? ( I have done a stop start, but maybe I should delete the docker, then remake it?)
  2. I am not sure how to do that, if you have instructions?
  3. Is it unlikely that router/switch glitches cause this?
  4. Should I re-install the remote apps on the ipad, and iphone, and desktop?

Then, I would start to watch the log file folder more for what is happening, and constantly think about if I do anything that would corrupt the roon database. So far I only use my NAS for Roon and for file storage and utility apps (like file browser and an app called “fix common (Unraid) problems”). Roon is the only app I use that is not a utility app. In the future I hope to use more apps on the NAS, but have not yet.

I’ve been having some issues updating Roon within it’s docker. I found the steefdebruijn/docker-roonserver pulls Roon Server 1.7 build 537, not the latest version. Not sure what’s up with that. Once this thing rebuilds the metadata (overnight) I’ll back it up, then try doing some updates to see if I can get closer to the current build 555.

For those of us running Roon on Unraid its kind of a wild wild west right now I think. I don’t even know if the docker you referenced is being maintained. I moved to to the commasky docker because I see it has had more recent activity. It too is on 537. Hopefully an officially supported docker could be made available…

At the moment I am not responding to the message to apply an update within the app. My best bet is to wait until the commasky docker update is available I think. When I used the steefdbrujin docker and responded to the update request in the app i had all kinds of problems.

1 Like

@Cedric_Richardson welcome to Roonlabs forums.
Yeah, you’re right about it being a bit wild-west. I’m surprised to see Roon Moderators chiming in up there in the thread supporting the Original Post(er) with his Docker installation! So that’s a real boon.

I took a peek at the docker code in the steefdebruijn. One of the things about Dockers, they don’t actually need to be maintained unless they break, or stop working for some reason. The docker references
http://download.roonlabs.com/builds/RoonServer_linuxx64.tar.bz2
Which should be the latest version of Roon Server direct from roonlabs. But it pulls 1.7 build 537.

For posterity here are a couple of other threads that are worth checking out:
Docker images for Roon” at roon forums (participation from @Steef_de_Bruijn)
Roon docker support” unRaid forums

I think the owner of the docker has to apply the update. When you open Roon on one of your devices it will notify you that an update is available. However, trying to update via the link provided in the application did not work for me. Have you tried that?

What I’m hoping for, similar to my plex, emby and other dockers, that the Roon Core in Unraid is updated when there is a new release. I think we are at the mercy of the docker owner (I could be wrong).

Hi,

Sorry but you are indeed wrong. The reason my image is working the way it does is because the community (including myself) needed a docker image honoring the roonlabs restrictions on redistribution of their software. To comply with that I threw this image online which installs Roon on first run. RoonLabs happy, docker users too. I have not had one single problem with all the in-app core updates pushed by roonlabs after initial install.

So it seems that some weird stuff is going on on unraid installs. I have no knowledge of that platform. One thing that pops into my head: what file system is hosting those docker volumes? I guess the music folder can be anything but the other three really should be some proper Linux or posix file system. Ext4 for example. I myself have everything hosted on zfs shares.

Steef

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.