Build 521 - Can not find Core on Unraid 6.7

Music and Core are on Unraid 6.7
Core Machine: Unraid 6.7 NAS with intel i3 motherboard.
Docker info:
name is “docker-roonserver” from Repository steefdebruijn/docker-roonserver
Network Details: wired ethernet.

Roon version was from Jan. 2020 and worked good until update today.
Remotes are iPad, iPhone, Win10 desktop.

Problem:
I worked great for about a month, until the update today. Now my remotes can not find core. I restarted the remotes, and the Unraid NAS, and the docker for Roon.

Hi @Robert_Blakely,

Can you describe your networking setup?

Are the devices seeing the Core and are just not able to connect or is the Core not showing up at all?

Can you confirm that RoonServer is running on the Core machine?

Network setup: AT&T provides DSL w Arris router. Router is wired to a wired switch that is wired to my NAS (Roon Core), and my desktop. My Aires G2 player is wired to router without any switch.

When running Roon on all 3 remote control devices, all say “Remote Connection. Waiting for remote core…”. I did not “select a different core” since it said I would “not be able to access the music you I had before”.

But from my iPhone I did select “select a different core” and my Unraid NAS is showing as “Ready” with a green dot, and there is a button to “connect” to it, that I am not clicking. And the app has no button to go back.

I assume it is “running” because the roon docker window says “started” “up to date” and “On”.

Hi @Robert_Blakely,

What is the model of this switch? Is it managed?

If you temporarily run the desktop as a Core machine are your remotes able to connect to it?

the switch is not managed. I am not home until this evening to get the model. It is inexpensive switch.

Are you telling me to setup my desktop to run as Core to see if it works w remotes?. How much time does that take the average consumer to do? Why do this test?

I did backups. Can I just go back to how it was before last update?

Hi @Robert_Blakely,

Yes, using your desktop as the Core temporarily would help us to understand if there is something networking-related or if it’s specific to that Core machine. The test should be pretty quick — You can go to Settings > General and choose Disconnect. Then choose This PC as the Core machine. You can switch between which Core is active at any time, so then you can try connecting to that Core from your other remotes.

I installed Roon Core on my Win10 desktop and everything works good. I pointed to storage that is only 100 albums, not to my main storage with 10,000 albums. But it works good on all my remotes: my ipad, iPhone, and desktop can all control what I hear on my Auralic Aires G2.

My switch is TP-Link 8 port gigabit model TL-SG1008D ver 5.1.
The switch built-in to my Arris router is 100MB speed.

Here are my docker settings in Unraid:

I have not used the backup container path. I did a back up a week ago into a regular Windows folder on my desktop. Are backups of any use for undoing a version update problem like this?

Below is the left half of the docker summary screen in Unraid:

Notice that other dockers, like SongKong, are indicating that I can do an update. I did not update Roon that way. The 521 update I started from within Roon remote app or from your web, I can not remember. Prior to 521 I may have done one successful update, but I am not sure.

Hi @Robert_Blakely,

Would you kindly use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link? Thanks!

The Logs are here
Robert Blakely Logs.zip

I did try a lot of things tonight, like restore backup, which did restore, except it still could not find my core on NAS. And I corrected some minor things in Unraid.

Hello @Robert_Blakely,

Looking at your logs, it appears that something has gone wrong with loading your Roon database

02/20 22:45:42 Critical: Failed to restore backup. Your databaes may be in a corrupt state. This can most likley be recovered by Roon Support. System.IO.IOException: Directory /data/RoonServer/.restore_old/Appliance is not empty
  at System.IO.Directory.Delete (System.String path) [0x0006f] in <370a0c27f4b74d1a81431037df6d75bf>:0 
  at System.IO.Directory.RecursiveDelete (System.String path) [0x00051] in <370a0c27f4b74d1a81431037df6d75bf>:0 
  at System.IO.Directory.RecursiveDelete (System.String path) [0x00024] in <370a0c27f4b74d1a81431037df6d75bf>:0 
  at System.IO.Directory.Delete (System.String path, System.Boolean recursive) [0x00009] in <370a0c27f4b74d1a81431037df6d75bf>:0 
  at Sooloos.Client.ApplicationCommon.Init2 (System.String[] argv, System.Boolean supportupdates, System.String lockname) [0x001b1] in <2953e63ea5de4c889e320bbb6b08b87a>:0 

Please zip and upload your Roon Backup directory and send it to @Dylan in a private message. We will then have the QA team take a look at the database to what is causing this error to occur.

It should be noted that running Roon in a Docker container is an unsupported setup and we cannot guarantee that we will be able to get this working for you.

-John

I sent the logs and the backup files. Should I give up on recovery, and start over, with a new install on Unraid, and rebuild the library? I did not have any manual edits.
I was hoping to show off my Roon at a party tomorrow eve.

Thanks for sending those over, @Robert_Blakely!

We are looking into this, but in the meantime, can you try to set up a fresh database and run Roon for a little while with that database and let us know if things work for you when doing so?

• Stop RoonServer on the Core
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Restart RoonServer

HI @Robert_Blakely — Did you have a chance to run the above test?

Yes, I ran the above test and it worked good for days. but at 18 days it crashed again, and I had to do the above test again. For me it is not a test. It is actually starting all over with building the library. I loose my playlists every time. I lost internet for that period. Maybe that caused the problems?

Hi @Robert_Blakely,

Thanks for the update, and apologies for the continued troubles.

Can you send logs from the last RoonServer folder that started exhibiting this issue so we can take a look?

what did you learn from the first set of logs and roon backup files?

Hi @Robert_Blakely,

Last time we found the following error was occurring:

02/20 22:45:42 Critical: Failed to restore backup. Your databaes may be in a corrupt state. This can most likley be recovered by Roon Support. System.IO.IOException: Directory /data/RoonServer/.restore_old/Appliance is not empty
 at System.IO.Directory.Delete (System.String path) [0x0006f] in <370a0c27f4b74d1a81431037df6d75bf>:0 
 at System.IO.Directory.RecursiveDelete (System.String path) [0x00051] in <370a0c27f4b74d1a81431037df6d75bf>:0 
 at System.IO.Directory.RecursiveDelete (System.String path) [0x00024] in <370a0c27f4b74d1a81431037df6d75bf>:0 
 at System.IO.Directory.Delete (System.String path, System.Boolean recursive) [0x00009] in <370a0c27f4b74d1a81431037df6d75bf>:0 
 at Sooloos.Client.ApplicationCommon.Init2 (System.String[] argv, System.Boolean supportupdates, System.String lockname) [0x001b1] in <2953e63ea5de4c889e320bbb6b08b87a>:0 

We are hoping to see the latest logs once more after the backup so we can identify whether or not similar errors are occurring.

Hi Dylan. I have some time to work on this this weekend. You asked for the latest logs. I used instructions at https://kb.roonlabs.com/Logs.
My core path to the logs is \TOWER\rootshare\appdata\RoonServer\Logs
You can get your copy from 1drv link to roon logs
Do these logs show info only after I re-installed my core, or do they show before that, when the disconnect problem occurred?
I have not done a backup yet.

You did show me the problem you found in the first logs, but you did not say anything about if you tried to find a solution and gave up, or if your still working on it, or if you never worked on it because it had not yet been a recurring problem.

Also you asked for the back up files (8GB) and I heard nothing back about those, if you looked at them and found them useful or not.

If a crash occurs again (that requires re-installing the core), Should I do log copies, or any other copies, before I re-install the core?

I forgot to mention, I have had intermittent trouble with my WAN. Still trying to get it fixed. I don’t know if that affected my LAN. But Roon does use the WAN and LAN both, i think, so maybe a bad WAN caused my problems?

Hi @Robert_Blakely,

They would only show information from after a re-install.

We reviewed the latest logs you sent and we’re not seeing the same errors that we saw last time, so that is a good thing.

So, to recap:

• Everything works fine for your Windows 10 Core machine
  • Starting fresh worked fine for some time with the Unraid Core machine, but after 2-3 weeks of use the problem returned
  • We aren’t seeing the same errors in the logs from the second attempt

To be clear, did you also try rebooting your Core and router during this time? It’s possible that the network outage during this time did play into it and it was a different occurrence since we aren’t seeing the same errors appear in the logs. There were no critical errors that we could find, but we did see some networking errors that may have contributed to the behavior you saw.