Build 783 Bug: "appearances" show up, but main albums do not always display [Under investigation]

@support
Here is my view of drummer Johnathan Blake’s page. I have three of his albums in my local library. You can see tracks from them in the highlighted tracks, but there is no Main Albums section. Next you see that he has played on nine Tom Harrell albums, and below that are his other appearances.

But no “Main Albums”! Other artists, I see the Main Albums section.

1 Like

Here is another similar case. Artist Michael Dease. I have seven of his albums in my library. In this screen capture you see traces of that in the “My Library” highlighted tracks (incidentally, this is a totally spurious bit of pseudo-functionality whose display you should allow users to suppress). But there is no “Main Albums” section before moving on to the Appearances section.

2 Likes

I’m having the same problems as before under artist>my library>albums. Not all are showing. But when I search a specific album it shows up. No fix here for me

1 Like

I have also noticed a similar problem for one artist so far.
@Dan_Levy mark support in the post or no one will even read it.

2 Likes

@Dan_Levy’s report has triggered me to look a little closer through my library. And why indeed that other bug with missing “Appearances” seems to be fixed in 783, there is still a problem with some artists not sowing on “Albums in my Library”. And while I am not entirely certain, it appears that this was freshly introduced in 783.

One example:

I have the singer Benjamin Bruns on two Albums: A Live Strauss “Salomé” from Frankfurt and a recording of Bach’ Matthew Passion under Masaaki Susuki. Both of them are Qobuz streams in my library.

On his artist page, his “Appearance” on the Bach Passion shows up, but his “Main Album” in Strauss Salome is not listed. But in that non-sensical track selection above the album list, there are actually tracks showing of that missing Salome main albnum.

This needs further investigation / fixing.

1 Like

I am not getting ‘My Library’ albums showing properly either. Albums are there in Abum viewer, just not under the artist.

1 Like

Thanks for the examples, @Dan_Levy & @bbrip — Our team is looking into this.

2 Likes

One example from me:
Artist: Ania Dąbrowska overview:

Discography:

After clicking on the album:

Hasn’t this been a known issue for a while? I thought it was addressed in the latest release bit it was not.

All of a sudden most of my albums don’t show anymore. Let’s say in my MacBook core I have 20.000 tracks (which always worked fine), all of a sudden only 297 show up. Tried everything, rebuilding libarary, rescan, clear cache. Even re-installed Roon etc etc. No result…very frustrating

@MrSalieri, This is example is a bit different than what is being reported above, but I confirmed that we do have a ticket in for that issue.

@bbrip, the examples you’ve provided appear to be specifically about editing. Our QA team did some testing here and found a case where edited primary artist links are causing this behavior to occur and we’ve put a ticket in to get this resolved.

@Dan_Levy, your case seems to be a bit different as well since you don’t have a streaming service/discography page. How many of the artists in your library are you seeing this issue on? Are there any patterns you’ve noticed? Were the credits for these artists added manually or were they generated by Roon’s metadata?

Similar issue here. If I lookup Artist Abbey Lincoln, Discography does not see the 3 albums I have in my Library from her. But if I use search or Focus, it finds them. I’m sure I’ve seen similar on other artists but it seems random. Most artists show albums in my library correctly.

For me, I notice most with Daft Punk. It just shows 3 appearances in other artist’s tracks and none of the many albums I have. Don’t think I have touched any meta data.

@Dylan, thanks for asking. Yes, I have disabled my streaming accounts from Roon so that I could get a better view on what is happening. I haven’t noticed any patterns. I am confident that with both of the artists whose views I screen-grabbed and uploaded that at least some of their main albums were identified by Roon and had had credits populated by Roon. It’s possible that at least one album per artist was not identified by Roon.

As long as you are reading this, I’d appreciate being in touch with you about the longstanding problem of composition credits. Persistently: sometimes a song with a Roon-identified composer will not show up in that composer’s list of credits; some composers’ lists will display only a fraction of his or her compositions (even ones identified by Roon’s data); why a given composition will list only a fraction of recordings of that composition, even when they are Roon-identified and very frequently when composer credit is manually added. This composition issue has persisted as long as I have been a Roon user and seems like it got worse in 1.8. I haven’t found a really good single topic about this though there are always mentions of it. Should I give up hope that this is being tackled? Anyway if you feel like reaching out privately I’d appreciate hearing from you. Thanks.

1 Like

Just to confirm, if you enable the streaming service again do you see the same problem?

I’ll shoot you a PM shortly for some more details on this so I can check with the team.

Thanks!

Thanks the problem indeed seems to be that Roon does not check which artists are actually in the users Roon library, but only checks against streaming service /cloud.

The check needs to be first and foremost against the library. That is where the user keeps his changes from correcting / adding metadata.

Same problem actually with Composers: I had an album with a missing (not yet in library) composer. After adding him manually, clicking him does not show any reference to his composition in that album. It just leads to a “dead link”. If you need screenprints, lmk

1 Like