Build 88 Avast anti-virus blocks Roon on OSX

This is a bit of an edge case, I’m afraid. Virus scanning is still not very common on Macs and Roon (being based on Mono, a cross platform .Net implementation) is slightly different from your average OS X app.

Of course, that does not make it any less annoying – but most probably the reason why it has not been caught in beta testing. Anyway – I’m sure this will be picked up by one the Roonies soon.

Edit: Q.E.D. :smiley:

@danny In cases, where you are using the computer as your main computer AND a Roon server, I can see why anti-virus would want to be run. In my Roon Server / Main Computer test case, I use AVG without any issues ever; but I am on the PC side so not a true comparison. I can say on the PC Side that AVG lives with Roon and RoonServer quite well. No hiccups ever. :grinning: Acronis backup and restore as well.

I had the some problem with Mac OS X El Capitan and solved it temporarily as follows. It basically uses the the same procedure that was suggested before with some tweaks. Please be aware of the sequence, otherwise you probably would not be able to download the installer and activate Roon correctly. Hope it helps.

1. Deactivate WebShield and File System Shield in Avast Preferences
  2. In the File Systems Shield Settings add the Path /Applications/Roon.app (if you had it installed previously)*. This should exclude the Roon App from being scanned in the future.
  3. Download the Mac .dmg from Roon
  4. Run the Roon Installer
  5. Launch Roon
  6. Open Avast again
    6a. *If you do not have a previous install of Roon add the Path now
    6b. Activate WebShield and File System Shield in Avast Preferences
1 Like

We’ve made some changes here for Build 94, and we’ve heard back from Avast as well.

This should be better now, but I’ll leave this thread open in case anyone has any more issues here.

Thanks all!

Thanks @mike, smooth upgrade on this end.

1 Like

Not so smooth at my end. Update went fine, but after the next restart Roon reports Database issues.