Build 952 Feedback

search no work on iphone and Macbook pro

I just upgraded and find this release to be Slow and buggy.

I wanted to create a new playlist and adding songs to that playlist takes 5 to 10 seconds.
In the mean time Roon is not responding to changes and then suddenly makes the changes I made like moving to the next song. So it does remember the commands given but somehow is stuck.
Adding more songs to the playlist makes it go slower and slower…
I had it a few times that even waiting for 30 seconds for Roon to respond , it was still stuck and just continuing to play the song I selected. Even after shutting down Roon on my MAC the music continued to play.( music is streamed to a raspberry pi.)
Roon core is running on a intel NUC with linux. I have Roon installed on my MAC while streaming music to a raspberry pi as end device.

Update.
I tried to reset the core remotely but it came back with the response that it wasn’t able to do so. I therefore did a hard reset on the NUC and now it seems to be stable

update 2
2 hours after the reboot it’s again falling back to the problems I described. Memory usage is fine I have 94% left of my 114GB . I was able to reboot remotely this time. OS is 1.0 build 227

Update 3

I now have rebooted at least 6 times. after a reboot Roon works fine for an hour or so. Then it slows down and the graphical information what you see on the screen is not in sync with the part of an album you are listing to. When leaving things untouched at one moment song and display are back inline until you press move the next song. 10 minutes later you are stuck and there’s no control anymore. Only solution left is to reboot

1 Like

Updating. Woke up to my server hibernating again due to thermal failure.

After restarting I noticed a pretty aggressive RAM consumption by Roon Core (it was growing almost 1gig per 10 minutes).

I opened my Mac Mini which was sleeping. Roon Remote was running there, but with no zone selected since I turned off the DAC and let the remote hanging - the screen looks like this when this happens:

As soon as I selected an “active” zone the RAM devouring stopped. Instantly.

I tried to reproduce the problem by turning off again the selected DAC and checking memory usage but it was not repeated. Maybe I need to wait for the remote computer to sleep.

Hope this helps ascertaining the problem origin. Definetly connected to this new relation between remotes and the core.

4 Likes

Add me to the list of 952 issues. I’m experiencing same issues as you but with a Mac Studio M1 Max. Roon Client in my Mac Studio shows no progress on the play bar and jumps from like 1 min to 1:20 mins. Reopening the Roon client fixes the issue. Also had to reboot Roon Core (ROCK on NUC 10i7FNHN) almost daily. This behavior started happening after 952.

1 Like

Search function could not be used due to using method which is not available in older .NET Framework platform in Windows 7-8.1 / Windows 10 TH1-TH2.

06/03 08:02:48 Critical: [search] Failed to perform search for query carabao.: System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: ‘System.Collections.Generic.HashSet1<!!0> System.Linq.Enumerable.ToHashSet(System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable1<!!0>)’.
at PetitSearch.SearchIndex1.ResolveActiveScoringFeatures(List1 requestUsedFeatures)
at PetitSearch.SearchIndex`1.d__19.MoveNext()
— End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown —
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at Sooloos.Broker.Music.LibrarySearchIndex.d__45.MoveNext()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at Sooloos.Broker.Music.LibrarySearchIndex.d__44.MoveNext()
at Sooloos.Broker.Music.UnifiedSearchResults.d__80.MoveNext()
at Sooloos.Broker.Music.UnifiedSearchResults.d__77.MoveNext()
at Sooloos.Broker.Music.LibraryApi.d__1.MoveNext()
at Sooloos.Broker.Music.LibraryApi.<>c__DisplayClass0_0.<b__0>d.MoveNext()

This bug looks similar to previous critical bug that caused database failing to initialize and was fixed days later. Please fix this bug for Windows devices can’t update .NET Framework to version 4.8 thank you.

Regards,
Keetakawee

3 Likes

Occasionally when I use the back arrow on W10 laptop remote the session will terminate instead of backing up to the previous screen. Guess this is considered a crash but starting a new session always works. Have not spent any time using the IPAD or Android phone remotes so can’t say what might be happening with those.

I just came back from Best Buy with 2 x 16GB RAM modules to replace the 2 x 8GB in my NUC. Lets see if this fixes the need to reboot the Roon Core…

Maybe it will last twice as long before it restarts :thinking::grin:

4 Likes

I am not a Windows user and can’t comment with knowledge upon this issue. But, I can see that the affected Windows versions are old and have been unsupported for many years. My take on this is that the moment has come when Roon should clearly define technical requirements of its supported platforms—such as minimum .NET version required. If an old OS cannot be updated to the required .NET version, it should be updated before installing Roon. Eternally working around framework limitations on old and very old OS versions cannot be a solution…

2 Likes

I guess so. It’s been unclear and developers didn’t run proper tests on older versions. It’s good that they still try to fix it but abandoning older version that used to work will cause a few issues with their partnered products running on older platform. Some companies run Roon core on older Windows 7 or Windows 10 without Windows update so that’ll render devices obsolete through automatic software update.

LOL. Well at least the 32GB RAM was cheap ($114 for the 2 x 16GB) and the 2 x 8GB that I took out of the NUC went into a work HP x360 laptop. Win - Win :wink:

2 Likes

I have roon running with the app open for 13 hours now. Playing music the last 6 hours nonstop.

On my M1 MacBook Air 8gb ram.

Roon uses 1.51gb ram. CPU usage is between 2-5%. CPU temperature is 32 degrees Celsius.

No disconnects, no music skipping and no looking for core.

All wirelessly.

Just a real bad update
Slow on MacBook Pro
Slow on iPhone X

WHERE IS A NEW UPDATE to solve all of this???

PS Search is also horrible…

Who at Roon signs off on these updates???

1 Like

I don’t think I need to do so currently, but this is why my fairly recent ROCK build is 1x16GB. $55 will take me to 32GB, should that become necessary. :slight_smile:

3 Roon crashes in 3 minutes - did not experience that in 3 years. What’s up here?

I haven’t been experiencing crashes with build 952, but something is clearly wrong. The UI feels very choppy, like its rendering at a low framerate. Opening an album takes a long time to load (more than 5 seconds). It’s hardly usable in its current state. I am experiencing these issues on all my devices, both Windows and macOS. My core is running on a Linux VM on my NAS. All of my computers have tons of resources (all at least 32core CPU and 64gb of RAM), so it shouldn’t be a hardware problem.

If my system is not running smoothly anymore, I would always try a complete reboot up to the router first, but the team has already discovered something in some protocols and changed it over as a test. If it’s the solution, I’m sure it will be rolled out to everyone in a timely manner.

What is this? First time seeing this message ever on my iPad remote. Keeps coming back as I use the app.

3 Likes

I had that pop up for a few seconds the other day. I’ve never seen that before (Roon user since 2016), and it hasn’t reappeared yet.

I have seen this when build 952 has crashed and restarted itself multiple times in the last couple of days.
I have not seen it in that area, but on many playing screens this last few days.