Build 952 Issues

@Support

What’s not working

I use a SonicTransporter i5 as the Roon Core. Everything was working fine until the 952 update. Now I cannot play my local music for more than a few minutes without Roon on my imac, or mac mini, or iphone controller freezing and I have to quit Roon and start Roon again. We also get a Waiting for Roon Core. Sometimes the music will just stop, and hitting play will resolve for a bit. Most times the Mac or iOS Roon app will freeze, but the SonicTransporter will keep playing. I have re-installed the Roon software on the macs and ios devices. Andrew at SGC, suggested I needed to re-install Roon on the SonicTransporter i5, but then I have to reimport the Database from a back-up, which I would like to avoid, especially if the next update will resolve this newly introduced issue. My library is local wav files only, no Tidal or Qobuz. Would appreciate some guidance.

How often does the issue occur

Every time few minutes to a couple of hours

Details on your Core machine (OS, Hardware specs, Roon build)

V1.8 build 814

Core is on a SonicTransporter i5 Version: 2.8

Library Size: 2,894 Albums, 49,970 tracks

Music is .WAV

50 various playlists

10 Bookmarks

Details on your Remote(s) (OS, Hardware specs, Roon build)

Roon Remote from Apple App Store

macOS for iMAC and Mac Mini from Roon

Networking details (especially what hardware you’re using, how everything is connected, and anything notable about how it’s all configured)

Draytek Vigor 2926 router with 2 Cisco SG112 gigabit 24 port switches

Audio devices in use

2 VSSl A6 for audio distribution around our home. VSSL A.6x and a Marantz 7013 for our main listening

1 micro Rendu network connected optically to the Marantz

Library details (where your music is stored, whether you’re using a streaming service, how many tracks are in your library)

Music is stored on an internal Sonic Samsung 2 TB SSD in the Sonic

Hello @Ron_Horwitz ,

Does a restart of the Roon apps on the remotes (iMac / Mac Mini / iPhone) resolve the issue, at least for a bit? Does music always continue to play in the background? If music plays in the background without issue, it could be related to this issue we are tracking:

If the music sometimes stops as well, it could be network-related. You can try to temporarily host the Roon Core on one of your Mac devices as well, to see if the issue reproduces from that Core or if just the SonicTransporter is impacted, instructions for Core switching can be found below:

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Open Roon on the other PC you wish to try as the Core
  • Roon Settings → General
  • Disconnect
  • On the “Choose your Core” screen, press “Use this PC”
  • If asked to Unauthorize, you can go ahead and do so. You are limited to one active Roon Core at a time but you are free to switch between them as often as you’d like.
  • Verify if the same behavior occurs on the different PC

Thanks
Music never gets interrupted
Appreciate all the info

I have restarted all macs and ios devices several times and it does resolve for a couple of hours and the the apps cannot communicate with the core and require a reboot. if the apps freeze the Sonic keeps playing but cannot be controlled. But at times the Sonic core will just stop playing and I have to reboot the sonic and the max / ios apps. I am also checking my network for IP conflicts, but this started as soon as the system updated to 952. Thanks Noris

Hi Noris, will there be an update soon that resolves these issues?

Thanks, Ron

FWIW - I run Roon server instances on both a SonicTransporter i5 and on MacOS (MacBook Air M1). It makes no difference in my setup:

connecting to either server (using Roon on the same Mac as control), since build 952, repeatedly the behaviour occurs as described by @Ron_Horwitz

and

It also happens when deploying against the the Roon Server on the Mac, so it is not specific to the Sonictransporter, and my best course of action seems to await the next build, especially since the release notes hint at some work (tinkering :grimacing:) with:

Judging by the substantial volume of similar and other problems reported in this forum for this rather troublesome build, my working assumption is that the overhaul has backfired somewhat, for an unfortunately wide range of setups.

Anyway, it seems a bit pointless and a waste of time to now go hunting for issues in my - previously stabile - setup, or raise a support ticket. Undoubtedly Roon staff has plenty of data to work with and is focussing resources on producing a new build - with hopefully a Core/Remote connection mechanism that works reliably as it did before :wink:.

Good luck and keep your cool @noris and colleagues - light, tunnels and all that. And some sleep perhaps after all the :coffee:

2 Likes

I’m back home after being gone for a week. Within an hour of using my Dell XPS 15 as a control device for my Nucleus, I got a screen lock-up.

I hope Roon has a fix for this tomorrow. Otherwise, they ought to scrap this build and roll everyone back to the previous build.

Welcome back Jim! It has been a hell of a week. They released 952 over the holiday weekend, seemingly with out testing and it has been hell ever since. What I love is we have to reboot 20 plus times a day. yet there is no definitive response, taking responsibility from Roon. Try this, try that, rebuild your database, try a different core, etc, etc. 952 is a bad release and they need to resolve ASAP. After they release a working fix, I for one will turn off my auto updates, so I am not caught by surprise again.

Thanks Ron. I was still on-line, running Roon core on my laptop. I only had one or two lock-ups running core on Dell. The issue seems to be when running the Dell as a control device. I wonder if it’s losing connection to Nucleus when the screen is minimized?

Yes, we have recently made progress on this issue and we are working on an update that we believe will help. As per policy, I cannot comment on a timeline of when the release will be ready, but hopefully soon. All updates will be posted in the thread I linked earlier:

Thank you for your patience while we work on this.

Yep. I have a Sonic Transporter i9 and since the last update it regularly loses connection to the core. Hoping for an update soon!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.