Buying tips for a DAC

This week I have received my TEAC nt-505 as replacement in the living room for my Topping D70 that has moved to my study.

Both use two separate AKM 4497 DAC’s, and both sound in the same league.

The main differences are:

• TEAC nt-505 is a fully Roon Ready up to 24/192 via Ethernet connection as Roon endpoint/networkplayer
  • TEAC nt-505 can internally up-sample up to PCM 384 and DSD 512
  • TEAC nt-505 can be connected to Roon ROCK via USB and Roon ROCK can provide the usual DSP facilities.
  • TEAC nt-505 prefers ethernet connection over USB; in case USB sould be preferred, the ethernet has to be physically disconnected at the backside.
  • TEAC nt-505 is internally fully balanced to the level of having two transformers for power supply.
  • TEAC may well have a decent headphone amplification, but the output is an unusual 4 connection 3.5 jack on the front, or two 3 pin XLR output at the backside.
  • TEAC nt-505 has a menu setting to select pin 2, or pin 3 as hot for the two 3 pin XLR at the backside.
  • TEAC has a far, far better OLED display and a better/solid remote control.
  • TEAC has two internal clocks for 44.1 and 48 khz (like Topping) and
  • a rather expensive separate 10 Mhz clock (TEAC CG-10M) can be connected to the TEAC in order to improve DSD play back.
  • TEAC has internally MQA support
  • TEAC has LDAC and aptX HD support for playback from e.g. a mobile phone.

A review of TEAC nt 505 in Dutch is available at:

This review states:
In the test room we still have the Mytek Brooklyn DAC +, a DAC that is without a doubt one of the best in the world. It’s fun to compare, because if you listen to the TEAC NT-505 next to the Mytek, you can hear how two excellent devices each offer something different. The Brooklyn DAC + gives you more insight and fresh detail, the NT-505 presents a coherent image with light and just the right touch of warmth.”

Is this upgrade valuable?
Good question.
In case one wishes a good looking fully ROON Ready DAC/networkplayer, the answer is arguable, yes.
On the other hand, both Topping D70 (€ 550) and TEAC NT-505 (around € 1250) are soundwise in the same league.
And Topping D70 is still a best buy for its budget, arguable Topping D90 is a triffle better nowadays.

2 Likes