Cambridge Audio MXN10/AXN10

Hello Everyone. I could use some knowledge/insight from you.

I’m in need of a new Roon Endpoint (connected to my NAS by Ethernet). My Allo DigiOne worked well but died, and I couldn’t get a DigiOne Signature to work, even with a bit of tech support. I just need something that works out of the box (Roon is my only digital source) and has some good sound quality to match my system. The MXN10/AXN10 seems to fit the bill.

My present system is:

Denon AVR 4308CI
B&W 705S2
Rega Planar 3

Questions:

1. Any reason to NOT get the MXN10/AXN10?

2. The whole DAC concept still confuses me a bit (ie. using the internal DAC on Denon vs. purchasing external DAC). Do I just plug the MXN10 by COAX to my Denon? Or would I benefit from getting a reasonably priced external DAC? Just wondering how to connect all the pieces and maximize my SQ.

Thank you for any suggestions!

The Cambridge Audio devices are amongst a number of devices on the market that can do various functions, a Roon endpoint being one. I presume your Denon does not have a USB input meaning you are looking at a device with Ethernet input and SPDIF coaxial out. There are ways to do this yourself but perhaps the Allo experience has put you off the DIY element. If so the Cambridge Audio gear is as good as anything. Look also at the Eversoslo DMP-A6 and Holo Red as rock solid Roon endpoints with the ability to feed SPDIF. The Eversolo also has a DAC that measures pretty well. Look also at the later Bluesound Node models.

Thanks Henry.

There is a USB port on the Denon, but this is a 2007 product. I think it may only for Memory Stick/Drive playback. So I assumed a SPDIF output from the MXN10 would be best SQ?

Doesn’t the MXN10 have a good DAC in it as well? How do you use this with the DAC that the Denon has? This is where my confusion lies. Do you bypass one of them, or do you use both in tandem. Sorry for my rookie questions!

Martin,

If you run RCA cables (analogue) from the MXN10 this means the MXN10 will decode the audio signal (using it’s DAC) and send it to the Denon, thus not using the Denon’s DAC. If you sent the signal using Optical or Digital COAX, then you have fed the Denon a digital signal, thus it will decode using its own DAC, thus bypassing the MXN10 DAC.

Which is better? I would assume the MXN10 DAC would be, so using RCA would be the solution if that was the case, but ultimately that is up to your own ears.

Super helpful. Thank you, Mark.

CA build quality is superb , I have had 2 x CXN and a DAC Magic in the past

Their support is first class , @SandsOfArrakis might comment , he went the whole chain with CA

The streaming module in the lower models is Sabmas CXN , I stand for correction , the EDGE NC as well, the StreamMagic app is also streets ahead of many hardware apps :sunglasses:

Yes I am the happy owner of a full CX2 set of gear from Cambridge Audio.

The CXA81 amplifier, CXNv2 streamer and the CXC CD transport.

The amplifier and the streamer are basically the big brothers to the gear that you have listed.

I have connected the CXNv2 both through its RCA and coax digital outputs to the CXA81. This way I can choose which DAC will be doing the digital to analog conversion.

As far as I understand it the only difference between the MXN10 and the AXN10 are their sizes.

They have an excellent DAC build in so you probably will be using the RCA output.

StreamMagic and Roon both work great. Highly recommended.:grinning:

1 Like