Can a Nvidia Shield be used as an audio output device?

Hi,

Just wondering if a Nvidia Shield can be used as an audio output device? I already have one plugged into my AVR (Anthem) to could play audio over HDMI.

If it can, does it support hi res audio?

I’ve done a few searches and mainly found questions about running the server on the Shield, that’s not what I want. I want only to use it as an audio output device.

Thanks

1 Like

You can sideload the mobile application but its not directly available from the playstore on the device. It runs but controlling it is not easy on the device so its best to use it as an endpoint and control through the controller apps…You will need to start the app everytime you reboot the shield though.

1 Like

Thanks Simon.

Ok sounds like it can happen. The only apk listed on the download page is “Roon Remote” tho, is that the one, can it play audio too?

Thanks

Yes the android remote also turns the device into an endpoint for playing back, You can name what you like after you add it to you your core in the Roon server software,

1 Like

Thanks have got it working and sounds good!

Quick question if I may, what audio quality does it support? I disabled Max Sample Rate and Max Bits Per Sample, and I can see it does output 96Khz when I play it, however if I play 192 is still seems to output 96Khz (and sounds fine).

Is this a limitation of the Shield maybe? I’ve got it plugged into my AVR (32-bit / 768 kHz Differential-Output D/A Converters) over HDMI.

Thanks

It can handle up to 192 but only certain apps have leveraged this though. Doubt Roon does as the app is made for tablets and phones that probably dont have the ability to go that high. The shield is a pretty unique Android box so would probably need its own app.

1 Like

realise its a very old thread but - i dont think its unique at all (shield that is)- its fairly standard android tv (the same as found on sony/philips/etc tvs, google set top boxes, etc) - the only unique bit is nvidia’s streaming/gaming service which isnt really relevant. it uses the standard android tv interface (oreo) etc etc. Still being updated and actively sold 3yrs after initial release - so i think not so niche as some of the hardware on the supported list for roon (e.g. oppo).

Much larger user base than most of the supported hardware on the list, and requested many times over the years in many threads. i realise im the broken record on each of them, but think roon is missing an easy win here given the number of requests for high definition sound on the shield over hdmi via av amp. Ignoring the shield portion - if shield becomes obsolete i will be getting a similar replacement e.g. firebox, or the new google 4k chromecasts that are under development that will also have android tv… likely ill keep the shield though as nvidia reported at its earnings report that the shield was selling well still and the last OS update was 2 weeks ago…