Can I listen to Roon using ARC but on my laptop?

Roon Core Machine

NUC i5 10th
8GB

Description of Issue

I use Roon at home for some years now. You’ve made Roon ARC so I could listen to Roon on my phone, but what I really would like to be able to do is listen to Roon using my laptop while at work.
Is this possible?

Hi, fellow user her
Good question!
The only workaround I see is to airplay from phone to laptop. (not tried)

I hope there are others that know better

If you mean that there should be an app for Windows, macOS and Linux that can be installed on the laptop:

1 Like

That works. I’ve tried ARC at home. And I can select AirPlay capable devices as output. Including my MacBook Pro.

As long as the phone and laptop are on the same network it should work.

1 Like

I suppose it wouldn’t be a big problem to implement the technique used in ARC to reach your Core in the standard Roon app. But I think Roonlabs is afraid of Netflix-alike sharing of accounts. On the other hand I would not share my network with others.
I suggest the should implement this but limiting it to a single user.

You can setup a VPN or even use a remote software like Teamviewer or Splashtop. I’ve used Splashtop for years to run Roon on my home PC and having it play out the work PC’s speakers (it can forward the system audio of the remote PC to the local PC) .

1 Like

I use Roon at work. I have Tailscale VPN from my work laptop to my router, so I can access the core and I’m using SqueezePlay as the audio endpoint to connect to the core.

For some reason (which I haven’t got around to debugging) my core doesn’t see the audio endpoints connect to my laptop when I’m at work behind the VPN. It does show the endpoints when I’m at home.

The SqueezePlay solution works fine and is even easier on the machine in terms of resource usage.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.