Can microRendu handle multichannel?

Hello.

Can the mR take 8 channels through ethernet and output the same 8 channels through USB? Of course, to a multichannel DAC. I’m doing 4-way stereo with digital crossovers. The idea is to load the digital filters on HQPlayer and output 8 channels to the mR.

Thanks!

The short answer is that it depends on the DAC. That DAC would need multi-channel support on Linux as-is. What DAC are you considering?

Lynx Hilo. I already have it and do 4-way stereo through JRiver.

BTW, I’m doing 24/192 PCM; no DSD needed.

1 Like

The issue will be if the Hilo presents itself as a multi-channel device via USB on Linux. My guess is the it does not.

Thank you Jesus. Indeed, Lynx does not support Linux, so unfortunately a dead end for me.

I would not mind having a look at that setup via remote connection. Send me an email: sonorejr@gmail.com

Hello Jesus. Bummer I didn’t see your message earlier: I started a new installation on my PC. Still trying with WS2012R2, but attempting the HQPLAYER route for convolution. Once that works I’ll add Roon, and then Tidal. And if it doesn’t work I’ll reinstall back again with JRiver. Bottom line is I don’t have a machine to show now.

I will likely come back for help :blush:

I’ll be more than happy to share my setup with you.

Regards
Horacio

I have the ExaSound e38 8-channel DAC. I know that it works with Apple and Microsoft computers via USB and presents itself as an 8-channel audio device. Will microRendu support that?

1 Like

No. ExaSound has not released the Linux drivers for their DACs.

Sonicorbiter - Multichannel
I have been conducting some tests in order to get my hands around multichannel playback. Here are the results so far:

The following is based on tests conducted with a miniDSP UDAC-8 - asynchronous USB to 8 channel analog RCA converter. The DAC is capable of 8 channel @ 24/192kHz so no DSD tests have been conducted. I’m powering the DAC with my UpTone Audio LPS-1 power supply set to 5V and it sounds great considering the overall cost:

TESTED OUTPUT MODES

1. Roon / RoonReady output mode - confirmed
  2. JRiver / MPD-DLNA output mode - confirmed
  3. MPD direct with MPD controller - confirmed
  4. Logitech Meda Server / SqueezeLite - busted, does not play
  5. HQ Player / NAA - confirmed

DEVICE SHORT LIST
miniDSP UDAC-8 - confirmed
RME Fireface UCX - would be interesting to test
ExaSound multichannel DACs - busted, exaSound needs to provide Linux driver

KNOWN ISSUES
MPD is converting stereo into whatever number of channels your DAC supports. MPD does this by copying the stereo channels into the remains channels. Multichannel files appear to play fine with multichannel test file.

SONORE computer audio - Rendu | microRendu | Sonicorbiter SE

Jesus,
I just tried to play Multichannel sound (1+2 mains; 3+4 subs) with 1) a Microrendu and Roon 2) a SonicOrbiter based System (Vortexbox UK, Audiostore Prestige 2) and 2 devices: a) MiniDSP UDIO-8 and b) RME ADI 2 Pro. Roon is set to 7.1. mode; I am getting for both devices the message “Failed to Initialize Audio Device” once I hit play. It’s all properly recognized with Roon, but won’t play.
If I use a Mac instead as the bridge or Core device - no problem.
Any idea?
Mark

What does Apps / DAC Diagnostics show?

Here‘s the Vortexbox Nova + RME ADI-2 Pro FS, will post Microrendu settings later:

And here the same setup with the Microrendu:

I had some discussions with Roon offline about this issue and Brian suggested we try a change in the RoonReady code. We are going to do this, but it will take some time to implement and test. If the fix works and does not seem to break anything else we will release it soon.

1 Like

Great thanks! I assume it means that in this case both the Microrendu and Sonicorbiter based servers would work in a 7.1 setup, hence my Vortexbox Nova machine as well?

I’m not involved in the Vortexbox Nova project so I can’t say one way or another.

Will any of the endpoints running the Sonore os (I have a SonicOrbiter, a microRendu and an ultraRendu) pass multichannel audio to the miniDSP U-DAC8? This Thread implies yes, but I need to check.

It should work, but it does not work at the moment and we are looking into it. I’ll post the solution were when we have it resolved.