Can Remote Roon Connect to a Core on a Mac OS That's in Sleep Mode

I’ve seen a few questions about this, but I could not find a definitive answer. Can I connect to the Roon Core from an iOS device, if the Core is running on a Mac server that’s in “sleep mode?”

This generally has worked for me, until the last couple of days. Now, I can no longer connect to the Roon Core, if it’s been more than 15 minutes since I last played music. In order to connect to Roon, I have to wake up the Mac OS server on which it runs.

The Roon Core runs on a Mac Mini (MacOS Catalina 10.15.7). “Computer sleep” (under Settings > Energy Saver) is set to 15 minutes.

Roon is version 1.8 (build 988).

1 Like

I would not expect Roon Server to ever be responsive when the computer on which it runs is in sleep mode. Core is a CPU and network intensive app (or can be, depending on demand). It works best on a dedicated system.

Thanks, David. Any idea if Roon Support has tested this on a Mac?

There’s a “wake for network access” setting in MacOS that gives users network access to a Mac, even when the computer is in sleep mode. That should, I believe, allow someone to use Roon when the Core’s server is asleep. I’ve had Roon for a year and, with a handful of exceptions, have been able access Roon from my phone and iPad.

And, while I appreciate that Roon runs better on a dedicated server, it’s been pretty well behaved on my Mac. I imagine there are a number of customers who run Roon on MacOS.

1 Like

Hi! I’m running on a Mac Mini 2012, I do have the sleep energy saving mode and when I connect with Roon remote I have no problem. I also have tested with HQPlayer enabled too.

To avoid confusion:
A ‘dedicated server’ simply is a generic term for a separate computer that only runs your music/Roon software…That can be a Mac/MacOS as well. Lots of people use for instance a Mac Mini as a dedicated server :wink:

Untick put hard drives to sleep, and enable Power Nap, to see if that work.

If you’re not using the MacMini for anything other than Roon.

//Corrected post.

1 Like

Do you know that this works?

ROCK is intended for the Intel NUC. The Mac Mini, if similar to my MacBook Pro, only supports UEFI boot, so ROCK would be a non-starter. Likewise, ROCK is unlikely to have the necessary kernel drivers for a Mac.

Ah yes, this is true. I completely forgot about EFI. :+1:t2:

1 Like

You might want to delete or edit your earlier post lest someone tries it.

Thanks, everyone, for your help. I’ll uncheck “Put hard drives to sleep when possible” to see if it helps.

1 Like

I think the only reason this may have been working is because something was preventing your Mac from going to sleep. Once it does sleep, Roon core can’t be reached unless you wake the host machine.

Nope, not in my experience at least. You can send a WOL package to the Mac, and that will wake it if you have “wake for network access” selected, but Roon doesn’t have this function.

This probably won’t help. This setting prevents the drive from sleeping while the Mac is awake, but is superseded when it sleeps.

The only reliable solution, if you want 24/7 access to your core, is to set ‘Computer sleep’ to ‘Never’ in System Preferences → Energy Saver.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.