Can Roon control more then one amplifier?

Roon Core Machine

MacBook Air, 1.7 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Networking Gear & Setup Details

WiFi

Connected Audio Devices

Linn Selekt DSM streaming Tidal with ethernet connection to fibre broadband. This drives the internal speakers.

Old Linn Classik connected to Linn Selekt via SPDIF cable, this drives the outside speakers.

Number of Tracks in Library

8221 tracks

Description of Issue

Firstly Roon is sophisticated and brilliantly constructed, a very polished music player and front end, well done. It is my answer to quality sound and music discovery.

I want to be able to control the volume of my outside speakers on Roon, not play anything different, just control the volume on the amplifier that is connected to the Linn streamer and that drives the outside speakers. I need to upgrade the current Linn Classik amplifier (connected to the Linn Selekt DSM streamer) with something second hand as the outside environment IMHO doesn’t warrant top of the line audiophile equipment.
If I choose a 2nd hand amp, say for example a Marantz network audio player NA6006, which is Roon compatible, will Roon see this via wifi and enable me to control the volume, seperate to the volume on the Linn Selekt?
Another way to ask this is, can Roon see more then one output device and control the volumes on each independently?

Thanks in advance, Jamie

the answer is that it depends on the settings for the zone and the device, you may be able to control the volume for each zone, You need to look in the device settings and see what options are available.
Go to “settings/Audio” then click the gear icon for the zone and select “device Setup”

Then look for “volume Control” and click on “device Volume”

“DSP Volume” gives me control of this zone in this example and shows up like this:

YMMV, this is on a Windows 10 PC, this may look different on other control devices (mac, iPhone, android, etc.)

It may require playing around with devices physical volume (amp volume knob, or speaker volume knob). It may take a little playing around to get it where you like it. You can also set limits (like it says in the screen shot) for the zone to protect the devices and your hearing (or if you have kids that keep turning up the volume :slight_smile: .

Also, you can undo your changes by loading the default values on the device setup page:

Roon will control the volume of any Roon Ready device, and as many of them as you like. So just check whether that Marantz streamer is actually Roon Ready.

1 Like

thanks team, appreciate the answer. J

1 Like