Can’t find Roon Core using Roon Arc: Need Help with Tailscale

Roon Core Machine

Windows 11 Pro (64-bit), i5-11400, 16GB DDR4-3600.
Internet connection via LAN connection.

Roon 2.0 Build 1182 Production (64-bit)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

2x Huawei OptiXstar HG8145X6N-AIS (Both routers are supplied by ISP provider (AIS), both work in Mesh WiFi with LAN linking both of them)

Connected Audio Devices

USB: Creative Soundblaster X G6 → EPOS H6 Pro Open

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Got this error when trying to setup my Roon Core for Roon Arc

{

“connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“49.aaa.bbb.ccc”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“2405:9800:AAAA:BBBB:CCCC:DDDD:8426:da9e”,“router_external_ip”:“100.ddd.eee.bbb”},
“status”: MultipleNatFound
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.1.1”,“found_upnp”:true}
}

What is the problem and what solution can alleviate this issue? Thanks

Note: router doesn’t have a WAN settings configuration to Bridge mode, and port forwarding. Need to contact ISP most likely. If I have to use one of the two features then please say so.

@xouross You need to setup port forwarding, I found this YouTube video on a similar but not identical Huawei router to yours, can you see if you have similar configuration screens?
Port forwarding.
You also have multiplenat, do you have more than one router in your network?

@Ratbert I have 2 routers connected in a network via LAN to use as a mesh wifi.

For port forwarding, my router does have that and I keyed in everything in the video except the Desktop IP seems to be on the below

picture.

Now how do I configure them? Roon ARC page from my device is this:

Welcome to the Roon community, @xouross.

The latest diagnostics you’ve provided suggest that your Core is having difficulty reaching Roon’s servers. There are several independent factors that can cause this error, and having two routers is the likely cause.

The ISP modem/router should forward port 55000 (or whatever is shown) to the mesh router. In turn, this should forward the same port to your core.

All devices should be on the same subnet, i.e., connect everything to the mesh router.

@Martin_Webster So I should add the port number shown on roon arc page into port forwarding option like this right?

Also do I have to match the ip address of internal host to be the roon core ip address given by the roon (192.168.1.111) or by the ISP router/modem (192.168.1.100)?

Your core, connected to the mesh, is 192.168.1.111 using port 55002. Therefore, create a rule in the mesh router for this.

Then create a rule for the same port in the ISP router that forwards to the external IP of the mesh router (you haven’t specified the subnet or IP address.)

Sorry, but I don’t understand how to do what you said.

So do I need to change anything else in here? or do I have to change something more than this page. Thanks

@xouross, this item from your ARC error message:

may show that your ISP is using something named CG-NAT, which shares public IP addresses among multiple users. If this is the case, Roon ARC cannot work across a CG-NAT’d network at the present time.

Is there anyway to bypass the CG-NAT? @Robert_F

You will need to contact your ISP and ask if CG-NAT is being used. If so, then see if your ISP can provide a static public IP address for your connection. If this is possible, some ISPs charge for the static address, others may not.

One alternative is to use a VPN such as Tailscale. Some Roon users have had success in getting ARC to work over Tailscale, and example is here:

My ISP provides this thing called DDNS (Dynamic Domain Name System) with port forwarding. Will this help providing the static public IP or do I have to contact ISP personally? Thanks. @Robert_F

Also, my router seems to provide this

Does this work in my case?

I believe that the screenshot you posted is for your local IP addresses within your home, not the public IP address your ISP uses to identify your network to the larger Internet.

I am not familiar with AIS, so my recommendation is to contact them and ask them about CG-NAT and if there are options to remove CG-NAT from your account.

My ISP uses CG-NAT from what I have gathered the information and it’s not possible for them to remove CG-NAT, asking me to pay more for a static IP.

I have read the workaround using Tailscale, is there any documentation on how to do on a PC? I read the linked article and still confused. Thanks. I use this link in particular and get confused along the way.

Hi @xouross,

You might try posting your tailscale questions in the tinkering section to see if someone can help you there. VPNs are considered “tinkering” to Roon support.

If you go the route of having your ISP give you a static IP, Roon support can certainly help. If you go this route and you call to have it done, let them know what you’re trying to do and they can help there too! Just explain that you’re doing port forwarding on 55002 and want it to go to your Roon core.

Thanks,
Wes

Thanks for the remind, I have made an appropriate thread into Tinkering section.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.