Can’t open music files on NAS storage

I have all of my music, about 25,000 tracks in a folder on a Netgear NAS drive. I have just started using Roon, with an Antipodes DS as my core. I cannot output to my Logitech Transporters. The Transporters see the Antipodes, and I can access the music files on the Antipodes, but the Transporters see the music files on the NAS, but cannot open them.

I do not want to use Logitech Media Server and wonder what I am doing wrong… (all software is up to date)

Greg

adding @support so they get notified

Thanks,

Greg

Hi @Greg_Lazin ---- Thank you for the report and sharing this observation you have made with us. The insight and feedback are both appreciated!

Moving forward, to help aide in my evaluation of this behavior you are experiencing may I very kindly ask you to please provide me with the following information:

• If you have any other endpoints in your setup are they exhibiting the same behavior?
  • I am assuming you have already set “enable squeezebox support” to “yes”, but please confirm.
  • Just to be clear you are not running LMS along side Roon at the same time, correct?

-Eric

Hi, Eric…
Thanks for getting back to me.
I now have only one issue. I sorted the other one out…
If I enable the LMS App on the Netgear NAS, I can see the NAS on the Transporter, and everything works fine, except that the Transporter doesn’t show up as an output device in Roon.

If I disengage LMS on the Netgear, I cannot see the NAS on the Transporter, and the Transporter doesn’t show up as an output device in Roon.

All other devices seem to be able to be discovered, and I can play music from the NAS on all of the other devices…

Greg

Hi, Eric…@support

Thanks for getting back to me.

I now have only one issue. I sorted the other one out…

If I enable the LMS App on the Netgear NAS, I can see the NAS on the Transporter, and everything works fine, except that the Transporter doesn’t show up as an output device in Roon.

If I disengage LMS on the Netgear, I cannot see the NAS on the Transporter, and the Transporter doesn’t show up as an output device in Roon.

All other devices seem to be able to be discovered, and I can play music from the NAS on all of the other devices…

Greg
[/quote]

Hi @Greg_Lazin ---- Thank you for touching base with me!

Continuing forward, my sense is that you are running into issues here because LMS is running parallel to Roon at the same time. If LMS is communicating with your Transporter then it could be interfering with Roon trying to access the device.

I think our first step here is to remove LMS from the equation and focus on getting Roon to see the Transporter. With this in mind, please kindly provide/perform the following:

Additional feedback:

• Please provide a screenshots of…

• Your “storage” tab.
    • Your “audio” tab.
  • As asked previously, please confirm that you have “enable squeezebox support” set to “yes".

Troubleshooting exercise:

• Please stop LMS from running on the NAS.
  • Please reboot the Antipodes DS hosting your Roon core as well as the Transporter(s).
  • Launch Roon and verify if the Transporter still cannot be seen by the application.

-Eric

Hi. Eric @eric
Here are the screenshots. I have removed the LMS app from the NAS and rebooted it; I have done a factory reset on the transporter, and I have reset the antipodes.
The transporter does not show up…
The squeezbox support is enabled. I even switched it off and the back on.

Hi @Greg_Lazin ---- Thank you for providing the requested screenshots/feedback and giving the proposed troubleshooting exercise a go. The continued feedback is very appreciated!

Continuing forward, I have enabled diagnostics on your accounts so our techs can have a closer look into this behavior that you’re experiencing. What this action will do is the next time the application is active on your core device a diagnostics report containing a set of your Roon logs will automatically be generated/uploaded directly to our servers.

Once the mentioned reports have been received I will be sure to update this thread so you know that we have it and then I will swiftly pass them over to the team for further analysis.

-Eric

@Greg_Lazin ---- Letting you know that I have followed up with you via PM!

Thanks!
-Eric

Hi, @eric,

I contacted Antipodes and downloaded the latest firmware. Even though LMS wasn’t running, I deleted the Squeezebox app (Antipodes didn’t think it necessary).
That actually solved the problems. The Transporters are recognized, and all now seems to be working properly.

I have another question. I am purchasing a QNAP TVS-871 with a 256 GB SSD for Roon, a 1 TB SSD for Cache, and 6 x 6TB drives in a RAID 5 configuration.

Is there a benefit to having The Roon core on the Antipodes as opposed to the QNAP?

Thanks again for your help…

Greg

Hi @Greg_Lazin ----- Thank you for the follow up! Very pleased to hear that the transporters are now being recognized after having deleted the SB application :+1:

In regard to your question of the QNAP vs DS, it is hard for me to say exactly what the benefits would be here as I am not personally familiar with how the DS performs as core machine. Outside of what I read here on the community site, I personally have never been able to test the unit so my concept of how it performs would be completely hypothetical.

As I have told others who have asked similar questions about “which device is best for a Roon core” I always say the safest is bet is to follow the guidelines in our knowledge base found here (“FAQ: What are the minimum requirements?”) and here (“Roon Server on NAS”).

-Eric

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.