Can you choose which disk you want to install Roon on?

Did I miss the option to install to a disk other than my C:drive? Not much space on C and the database is getting big… Thx

You can point Roon at any drive. I have an icybox by USB3 just now as a tempory solution.

Thanks. I’m sure I’m being daft here but I cannot see any setup options when I run RoonInstaller.exe? It just installs to the C:drive for me?

Run the Roon program set up. When Roon is open, go to the left hand top three horizontal bars and click.
Look to the bottom and click settings.
Then click Storage.
From there you can add and remove ‘Watched Folders’. Remove your C Drive and add a path to your music store.

Cheers, Chris

Chris - GusGranite wants to install the app itself to somewhere other than C: drive. He’s not referring to the location of his music.

Cheers Chris, I appreciate your help. I am not explaining myself very well here. I can add music from other drives no problem but I would like to install the actual Roon application to my D:drive (not C:). This is because the Roon install directory grows to many GBs in size when it imports my files data. Another option would be to just store the Roon database on D: but I cannot see how to do that either?

Thanks,
Gus

This is concerning… how many gigabytes are we talking about?

This was not an easy decision to make, but we figured that in 2015, even with hundreds of thousands of tracks, this should be a tiny % of your boot drive.

I’m concerned if you are experiencing a bug that might be causing this explosion in size that would impact you enough to need to move to another drive. Please do let me know how big the directory has become, and how big your drive is. Also, out of curiosity, are you running and SSD or a spinning disk as your boot drive?

Hi Danny, I’m running 120GB SSD as my C:drive with only about 9GB free. Yes, storage is cheap but reinstalling your OS still takes a while… After about 200K tracks indexed the Roon directory was at approx 3GBs I think (I stopped it and uninstalled until I could get the answer to this question). Other than disk space, I also like to store my databases on D:drive (1TB) so that if I need to reinstall or upgrade the OS on C: then I can quickly find the databases again without having to re-index.

Thanks,
Gus

Is it possible to run the setup exe with an install switch via command line to point it to another drive?

I tend to do the same, installing programs / data on a different drive/partition to make wiping an OS less painful.

Maybe the best option is just a ‘move database’ feature. My photography software ACDSee does a really good job of this. You can move the database and run a backup of it from with the application.

I thought I would discuss this with some developer friends to see if I thought this was a bigger issue than it really is. They all agreed that not being able to install or move the database to another drive is a big oversight - it’s a standard these days (just like JRiver, iTunes, etc). I hope this is still in the change request queue?

@GusGranite – we’re not fundamentally against allowing the install/db location to be moved. The location we picked was so that auto-updating could work silently, and not bother Windows users with UAC popups. This wouldn’t be an issue on your “D drive”, as you would have permissions to write there, but it is not a trivial change to our application.

Now I’m going to be frank with you. Please take this as the reality of a startup that isn’t doing things exactly as you need, and not some type of attack on your very valid use case.

The issue at hand is just prioritization of the feature, and unfortunately for a very small subset of our users, the feature is very low our on priority list. iPad support, RoonSpeakers, Metadata improvements, HQ Player and Squeezebox integration, plus a lot of usability issues are all ahead of “moving install/db location” on the roadmap. Between our launch and today, we’ve released numerous audio related features and improvements, plus a new platform (Android). All these were also all ahead of “moving install/db location”.

If you had bought Roon, I would have gladly refunded your purchase as we didn’t meet your needs. Instead, you took a trial and canceled before charge, so such charges were avoided. This is the point of the trial, and I’m glad we didn’t charge for something that would have frustrated you.

I’m guessing this feature will eventually happen, however, as much as I’d like your business, I’m not going to lead you on with false promises.

If your situation with free space on the SSD changes, and you want to give Roon a spin again, just let us know… we’ll reinstate your trial.

6 Likes

@danny – the continued openness and candidness in communication does not cease to amaze me. It is a solid confirmation every time of the reasons why I trusted a start-up with a not inconsiderable sum for a ‘life-long’ license.

Several of features that are currently on the high-priority list are of no or little interest to me. And that’s fine: my basic needs (Meridian streaming support) were met from the start, the app has become 100% stable in just a few releases and I was able to configure a core system explicitly to Roons needs, running flawlessly at little cost.

As it goes with ‘young’ software: the buy-in point should be when your primary needs are met – the rest is mere icing on the cake (and there’s a lot of cake to ice!). This open line of communication helps avoid disappointment in the timing and prioritizing of new features and builds a solid foundation of trust in a healthy and interesting future for Roon and its ecosystem.

Please keep up this refreshing approach!

2 Likes

I agree. Danny’s approach is refreshing, especially those of us who are familiar with how things are handled on the JRiver message board.

Hi @danny - Great response. I totally appreciate your candor and echo the other feedback re customer service. I really want to see Roon succeed and have been been spreading the word about how great it is on Twitter as well so you have my support.

I’ll be reinstalling my OS when Windows 10 is fully released so will be able to jump into Roon then. Moving the DB can stay low priority.

Gus

1 Like

There “may be” a fix. I have the same challenge with music composition software that includes sound banks, samples, etc. They install huge numbers of large files in the “Public” folder. I’m facing a similar challenge with Roon as it’s database can grow to many, many megabytes and my system has a 128 GB system SSD (drive C:) and a terabyte HD (as drive D:). I’m just now testing this strategy on Roon and so far it seems to be working without issue but no guarantees. Use a free tool called FolderMove 1.2 free. What this utility does is create a “symbolic” link from one folder (stored on drive C: in my case to another folder (in my case Drive D:) and then moves those files. Most programs don’t know that they’re now running off another drive. The Roon app and Data is stored in a folder called (C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Roon\Application\ where username is your user account) I then setup a similar folder structure on my other drive (D:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\ and then choose the source path and the destination path with the software automatically creating the rest of the folder path in this case the \Roon\Application path and moving the files). If the folder move/symlink process fails, it will tell you and you’ll have to move the files back to the original location, or delete and reinstall. It doesn’t work sometimes if there are background instances of a program running and they “lock” the files in the folder that you want to move. But based on my short-term trial of this strategy. Roon seems to be working OK. Sorry if this is too technical but all of this technology is built into Windows already and the Folder Move utility just makes it much easer to do.

I have just implemented the FolderMove software and have created a symbolic Link for both RAAT server and for ROON and relocated them onto a RAMDISK.
It seems to be working , but I have a feeling the primary memory is still being used as the resource manager in Task manager looks very active.

A RAMDISK just acts as disk drive; it does nothing about the required RAM a program uses when it runs. Or maybe I’m misunderstanding what you are trying to achieve.

I was exploring the possibility of running ROON and the embedded player from RAM.
Apparently SQ is improved as a result of less noise.