Cannot add music after power outage

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Roon 1.6 (475 build)
Macbook Air
El Capitan OS
I7, 8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Synology DiskStation D112 NAS

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Bryston BDP-2
Hardwired ethernet

Description Of Issue

File system path on NAS is
smb://DiskStation/music/
then
music/jazz
(I also have music/classical and music/pop), jazz folder has within it folder by artist and within that folder a folder for each artist’s album.)

Network is hard wired ethernet, and NAS, files and music are recognized and playable by Bryston BDP2 in MPD mode, and also by Oppo 103 (2nd system).

This arrangement was set up over a year ago and working with Roon. Setup method at that time
smb://DiskStation/music, select “music” folder, this folder would open to “jazz”, “classical” and “pop” folders.

Using “select folder” command selected “jazz” folder and Roon scanned contents. Did the same for “classical” and “pop” folders.

I have been unable to get Roon to work in this manner since the power outage.

Specifically, under “Storage” Roon sees Diskstation at 10.0.1.9\music>Classical folder but there is the message “This drive is not available. Check the drive or edit this folder if it’s been moved”. It has not been moved and selecting “edit” and browse does nothing but get the same error message.

I deleted one folder, “Jazz” and added network share by this method

smb://DiskStation/music, select “music” folder, this folder would open to “jazz”, “classical” and “pop” folders. If I select “Jazz” the folder is automatically opens to every artist, making it necessary to select every artist folder individually (and I have c200 artist folders), making it impossible to select the “Jazz” folder by itself as was done, and worked perfectly, in initial setup. Also, if I try the “Select All” to get all the artist folders the command is greyed out and unusable.

Would appreciate help in this, thanks.

What happens if you open Finder on your MacBook Air and press ⌘K (command-k) and enter the following?

smb://DiskStation/music and then repeat with
smb://DiskStation/music/jazz

First command line takes me to “Music” folder and lists the Jazz, Classical and Pop folders within.

The second line with “Jazz” will not connect.

Is this IP-address still correct for the DiskStation? If the DiskStation uses DHCP with a non-fixed address then, because of the reboot after the power outage, the IP-address might have changed.

Address is fine, and Roon sees the “Music” and sees the Jazz, Classical and Pop folders that contain the artist and their albums. The problem is that when I select the Jazz folder, which is the one to load in its entirety, Roon opens it so that every artist is listed, meaning that I would have to select each artist individually to load into Roon, which is not feasible as there are likely 200+ artists in Jazz. When I initially set Roon up I just selected the Jazz folder and everything loaded. I am wondering if the latest update has caused this problem.

On the top you can see the currently Selected Folder.
Chose folders from the Folder Listing below right, until your desired Jazz folder is shown as Selected Folder. Please ignore now any content of the Folder Listing and …

… click on the blue button labeled Select This Folder to accept your selection.

I ended up importing the entire “Music” folder and ignoring the Jazz, Classical, Pop, which appears to have worked in terms of getting the music in, though I will try the method BlackJack has laid up when all scanning is complete. Going to be a little inconvenient re browsing artists and albums I am not familiar with as I have a large library, but may use the directory in my NAS as well as listings on the Oppo and Bryston in MPD mode.
Many thanks to everyone for your help.

1 Like

Hi @Patrick_O_Charchin,

I would definitely suggest checking to make sure that the IP address of your NAS hasn’t changed as @BlackJack has suggested. Once you have confirmed that the music folder has imported as expected, you can use Roon’s focus feature to sort through your artists/genres. Do let us know if you have any further difficulties, thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.