Cannot connect Roon ARC from outside home

Roon Core Machine

Roon Core on Synology DS218+ running DSM 7.1.1, CPU INTEL Celeron J3355, RAM 2045MB

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Dasan H660WM FTTH (Optic Network Terminal)  wired connection  Ausus AX56U (Mesh Router)  wired connection  Asus AX56U (Mesh Node)  wired connection  Synology DS218+

Connected Audio Devices

B&W Formation Flex x 2 (Roon ready)

Number of Tracks in Library

Around 1,000 tracks

Description of Issue

Cannot connect Roon Core by Roon ARC from outside my home.

The Diagnosis Data showed

{

“connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},

“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“218.aaa.ddd.eee”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},

“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},

“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.50.1”,“found_upnp”:true,“error”:“<s:Envelope xmlns:s="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/\” s:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/\“><s:Body><s:Fault>s:ClientUPnPError<UPnPError xmlns="urn:schemas-upnp-org:control-1-0">718ConflictInMappingEntry</s:Fault></s:Body></s:Envelope>”}

}

Hi @Chong-Bin_Tsai,

Thank you for reaching out. The error you’ve posted, in the context of your mesh network setup, can usually be resolved by taking one of the following steps.

1. Enable UPnP across all your daisy-chained modems/routers (The Dasan terminal, the Asus router, and the Asus node). If UPnP is not available in all of these routers, or you still receive an error, try step two below instead.

2. In your router and modem web administration pages, create identical TCP port forwarding rules. These rules should point to the static IP address and listening port that are listed in Roon → Settings → ARC.

If you continue to experience difficulty, please post screenshots of the web administration page of your routers. Be sure to obscure your public IP address for security.

Additionally, who is your internet service provider? We’ll want to verify if they have implemented CG-NAT on your account.

We’ll be standing by to assist.

1 Like

Hi! Thanks for prompt response. I did both steps. Still got error messages.
My ISP is Chunghwa Telecom in Taiwan.

The diagnostics Data now showed
{
“connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“218.aaa.bbb.ccc”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.50.1”,“found_upnp”:true,“error”:“<s:Envelope xmlns:s="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/\” s:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/\“><s:Body><s:Fault>s:ClientUPnPError<UPnPError xmlns="urn:schemas-upnp-org:control-1-0">718ConflictInMappingEntry</s:Fault></s:Body></s:Envelope>”}
}

Here are the screenshots of my modem and router

Thanks again for your help!

I was running the core on QNAP. QNAP has implemented a firewall and had to allow ports to be opened for ARC. I don’t own a Synology, but if you have a firewall try turning it off. Second, if you can connect to ARC from outside your home LAN, your firewall settings should solve the problem.

You can install Tailscale on your Synology and on your mobile phone. This is a VPN solution based upon WireGuard – no need to open ports of fiddle around with firewall settings. ARC on your mobile will see the Roon Core as it it were in the same local network, even when your are on the road.

In that case, it doesn’t have to be ARC.

Thanks for suggestion. I checked the firewall on the Synology DSM. It was not enabled.

Thank you for following my suggestion and confirming. Sorry it didn’t help. I hope someone else can offer you good advice.

I tried Tailscale and ZeroTier. Neither one worked.

I am curious that why dose Roon not adopt the “QuickConnect” technology used by Synology. I can always connect my NAS from outside my home using “QuickConnect ID” successfully.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.