Cannot Connect to Roon ARC Outside Home (ref#TISJIE)

Affected Product

Roon ARC

ARC Issue Category

Can’t connect outside the home

Description of Issue

Room works perfectly at home. Going into settings > Roon ARC in the Roon remote app, the system says the server is reachable and configured correctly - however, the arc app doesn’t find the server.

Roon Server Platform

Linux (NAS/SonicTransporter/Antipodes/Ubuntu/etc.)

Linux Server Type

Ubuntu

Roon Server Specifications

Mac Mini (2011), 8GB RAM, i7, Ubuntu 23. Connected to Synology NAS for music storage

Connected Audio Devices

Apple HomePods, Apple TV, iPhones, etc

Home Network Details

Virgin Media 1gig broadband, no fixed IP from ISP. Router is a Ubiquiti UniFi Dream Machine Pro. Firewall port forwarding to the specified port is in place, and UPnP is active as is NAT-PNP. Intermediary Level 3 switch connecting everything

Screenshot

Layer 3 switches are almost a router, I’d look for the cause there. Can you try without it / replace it temporarily with a simple Layer 2 switch?

Hiya

Yep, I’ve bypassed the switch and plugged the Roon server directly into the router - still the same result (after a reboot as well).

I’m 99% convinced that this is something to do with the Ubuntu setup, rather than this being anything to do with the UniFi side of things - that’s all been configured as per other posts which have confirmed it working.

I’ve also tried disabling the firewall on the Ubuntu/Roon server as well - just in case this was causing any issues. Not sure if IPTABLES is still working away in the background maybe (and so may need to update the config here)?

Maybe this?

Make sure to not use 40229 but the actual port ARC is trying to use as per the settings

1 Like

Thanks for continuing to give me some suggestions! :slight_smile:

Ive done that too - as per the instructions on the Roon Linux setup page. Commands were:

sudo ufw allow proto udp to any port 9003 from 192.168.1.0/24

sudo ufw allow proto tcp from any to any port 9100:9200

sudo ufw allow 55000/tcp comment ‘Open Roon ARC tcp port 55000’

55000 is the port specified in the Roon app on the Arc page (as in the screenshot I posted initially).

I’ve also tried disabling UFW entirely, and still get the same result.

And then within UniFi, I have set up a port forwarding rule from WAN:55000/tcp > 192.168.1.76:55000/tcp which is all the correct detail.

I’ve also got UPnP switched on, along with NAT-PNP as per other threads on this community where other UniFi users have run into issues.

Is there an end-to-end Ubuntu setup guide anywhere detailing all the steps required? The easy install script provided by Roon is great, but I’m not sure it covers everything needed? I could be wrong though!

I’m on Ubuntu 23 not 20.4 or 22.4 by the way.

I know my way around Linux but never set up Roon on Linux, so I’m not the best help here. FWIW everything seems fine to me. (And thanks for the complete info!) . No idea though. Anyone?

From a simplistic perspective, since you know you don’t have a fixed IP from your ISP, have you configured something else to be available via port forwarding on your Ubuntu box - to be assured that you can get to that, and that it’s not something with your public-facing IP address? Perhaps a web server?

1 Like

Yes, I’ve got other things working externally with no issues.

Just to provide some more detail, I have used an online port scanner and can confirm that:

1. My external IP address is IPv4 and there is NO IPv6 associated (I know ARC doesn’t use IPv6)
  2. Scanning port 55000 shows it is open

So, from that, I’m taking that the router IS configured correctly. This is as much as I get with other services running which I’ve allowed to connect from outside.

This makes me even more convinced that the issue lies with the Ubuntu box, and not a network problem.