Cannot connect to Roon Arc perhaps VPN is causing Issues?

Roon Core Machine

Mac Mini Late 2012

2.6 Ghz Quad Core Intel i7

16gb 1600mhz DDR3 Ram
MAC OS Catalina 10.15.7

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Router FiberHome GPON connected to google mesh wifi using smart dns proxy vpn

1. Who is your internet service provider?

PLDT Home Fibr

1. Please list the make and model of your modem and router?

FiberHome GPON

1. Do you have any additional network hardware, like additional routers or managed switches?

None

1. Does your network have any VPNs, proxy servers, or enterprise-grade security?

Yes, Smart DNS Proxy IP masker and VPN

Connected Audio Devices

USB out to DAC and headphone amp. USB out to DAC and Speaker amp. Chromecast to amp/dac for speakers via toslink.

Description of Issue -

What is the exact port forwarding error message you see in the Roon Settings → ARC tab?

I tried using the auto setup and go this error.

{
“connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“112.ddd.eee.fff”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“null”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”}
}

I tried using different Ports that I read about on this forum but I never really asked for help until now.

I also have this issue. I am using a VPN though and I’m not sure if that is causing issues. I have read that is shouldn’t. Here is what mine says:

{
“connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkTimeout”,“status_code”:998,“error”:“”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“112.ddd.eee.fff”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“null”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”}
}

Any help would be appreciated very much!

Hi Jose,

Thank you for reaching out for assistance with port forwarding. I’ve split your post into a separate thread so the team and other users can assist you more directly.

Typically, errors like the one you see can be caused by a misconfigured Port Forwarding setting, if you are not seeing Ready listed in Roon Settings -> Roon ARC, please look over this guide before proceeding.

If you have reviewed this guide and still have not resolved the issue, can you provide the following details about your network setup to help expedite troubleshooting?

1. Who is your internet service provider?

2. Please list the make and model of your modem and router?

3. Do you have any additional network hardware, like additional routers or managed switches?

4. Does your network have any VPNs, proxy servers, or enterprise-grade security?

5. What machine are you using as a Roon Core, and how is it connected to the internet?

6. Are there any specific error codes displayed in the Roon Settings → Roon ARC tab? If so, can you post the error here?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @Jose_Emmanuel_Ernest,

Thank you for posting and bringing this issue to the attention of the community. I’ve merged your threads since it appears you had duplicate posts regarding this issue.

Officially, Roon ARC does not support VPNs, although some users have specified configurations in VPNs that will allow for port forwarding or other connectivity mechanisms for ARC. Tailscale is the most common solution on this forum, as it functions uniquely from other VPNs, effectively placing ARC in your local network even outside the home.

However, most other consumer VPNs and proxy servers are known to interfere with port forwarding and UPnP, depending on the configuration and rules you’ve set. In most cases, they will block ARC out-of-the-box.

If you try temporarily disabling both for the sake of troubleshooting, is ARC able to autoconfigure port forwarding in Roon → Settings → ARC?

The diagnostic trace you included above shows a 998 status code error; this actually means that your Core is failing to reach Roon’s servers independently of its connection to ARC. The VPN is likely filtering traffic to/from the Core, and you will eventually encounter issues even on Roon Remote in this configuration.

While the #support section doesn’t officially support VPNs, there are many savvy users who will be happy to assist in the #tinkering section if you create a post and specify the VPN you are using in the title.

In the meantime, please report back if ARC port forwarding succeeds with the VPN disabled, and we’ll go from there. Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.