Cannot connect to Roon Core - stuck on 'initializing

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Corei5 fanless NUC, latest build (1.7 build 555), firmware build 186

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ethernet to gigabit switch, which also connects to synology NAS ds1819+

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Devialet expert pro 220 (wireless) and iPad pro for remote control

Description Of Issue

Everything was working fine yesterday. Nothing has changed in my setup since then. This morning I get the ‘Cannot connect to Core’ message on my ipad. Did all the usual checks (made sure I was on the right wifi network with the iPad, restarted Roon on the NUC, etc). Nothing. I also see that the ‘activity light’ on the NUC is constantly flickering, which means it is very busy doing something but I have no visibility into what that might be and there is nothing running on the NUC except ROCK. The only option on the Ipad is to select a different core. when I click that, it ‘sees’ the NUC/ROCK with a yellow button and the message ‘initializing’. What does that mean and why is it initializing without being prompted to do so?

It has now been stuck on initializing for 29 minutes and the activity light is still flickering like a psychotic christmas light. What can it possibly be doing and why? Do I just let it run? Do I unplug the NUC and force a hard reboot?

Reboot your core.

After the activity light stopped flickering (40 mins or so), I rebooted the core, restarted the server, no more activity light. But still no connection . On the Ipad it still says ‘choose your Roon Core’ where it lists my NUC with the yellow ‘initializing’ button and the blue ‘connect’ button greyed out…

Uninstalled and reinstalled the remote app. Now it reconnected immediately with the message saying ‘a software update is available for one or more of your devices.’ That could not be done without crashing my whole system? I clicked update and now I lost connection again…

System finally came back, after an hour of frustration and futzing…

There was a Roon OS release yesterday. After installing, I had the same issues, but it was solved by a NUC power off / power on.

I agree. The issue was that the NUC seemed very busy for almost an hour and I was afraid to reboot it until it finished, for fear of perhaps corrupting the library database or something. All seems normal again now…

Hi @Patrick_Van_Osta,

Glad to hear that the system is stable again after the update!
Do let us know if you run into any other issues, and we’d be happy to take a look, thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.