Cannot Connect to Roon Server on Ubiquity UDM Pro Network (ref#K91F1M)

Affected Product

Roon

Roon Issue Category

Networking

Description of Issue

I cant connect to roon server from ubiquity network. I can see the device on the network. The roon app can see the device but when I say connect it does not connect. Could you send me the detailed firewall settings I should have for ubiquity UDM Pro? The general instructions you have on your site dont seam to equate to the options in ubiquity.

Roon Server Platform

Roon Server Specifications

Roon Whirlwind with 8TB storage

Connected Audio Devices

Mark Levinson 519, Linn Klimax DSM and iPhone and Ipad.

Home Network Details

Ubiquity UDM Pro. Lots of devices all functional. Roon server is wired and plugged directly into the UDM Pro. Link light on, device is discovered in unifi app and the roon app but cant connect to server when saying connect. I think its the firewall but dont know what settings to update.

Hi kalich,

Thanks for taking the time to write in! Sorry to hear you’re having issues with your Nucleus.

As a first step, can you attempt to plug the Nucleus into a monitor via HDMI, and let me know what you see?

We’ll first want to determine if the issue is hardware-related, or a networking issue within your local network. Let me know, thanks! :+1:

Thanks for responding. Sorry for my delay. By connecting the HDMI I see build 227 stable. It says roon can be accessed by opening any roon Remote product. I can also follow the suggested IP address with my browser and everything checks out “OK” there too.

Thanks again for the support.
Jason

Hi @kalich,

Thanks for the update! With this information, it’s likely a network issue you’re dealing with.

A few tips with settings in the UDM Pro that may help:

1. Try enabling STP (not Rapid STP)
  2. Try also to disable jumbo frames and flow control - globally.
  3. Check your router and/or any wireless access points to see if they support IGMP snooping and turn it off.
  4. Can you confirm that your Nucleus and remote devices are running within the same subnet?

Just confirmed each suggested and still reproducing the same problem. Still receiving the "waiting on your Roon Server… when attempting to connect. It is the whirlwind server and not the nucleus in case it makes a difference.

• Comments inline.

A few tips with settings in the UDM Pro that may help:

1. DONE - Try enabling STP (not Rapid STP). It was RSTP but did not clear up the issue after setting
  2. Confirmed - not used. Try also to disable jumbo frames and flow control - globally.
  3. Confirmed not used - Check your router and/or any wireless access points to see if they support IGMP snooping and turn it off. It is off.
  4. Confirmed Running on the same sub net - Can you confirm that your Nucleus and remote devices are running within the same subnet?

Thanks for the update @kalich!

To confirm, you’ve also re-booted your router + Roon Server after attempting the above?

What are the current DNS settings on your Ubiquity router? Can you temporarily test out using Google or Cloudflare? That would be (8.8.8.8) or (1.1.1.1)

Here is some additional information from another thread you may find useful as well:
ROCK no longer connects after network change to Unifi/Ubiquiti UDM-Pro - #13 by Andrew_Stein.

Yes I rebooted after configuring the above. I changed the DNS settings as you suggested then rebooted client and server. Im still not able to connect.

Hi @kalich ,

I saw this thread and I wanted to jump in with a few suggestions/clarification questions.

What exactly does this mean? Are you getting any specific errors? Can you share a few screenshots of where you are seeing the Nucleus and the error states?

Just to confirm, the issue is happening both from the iPhone and iPad, correct? And when this issue happens, there is no VPN involved?

Is this your desired Roon Server to use? I noticed that you posted in the Nucleus support category, but if you are trying to use your Whirlwind as the Roon Server instead, please let us know of this aspect.
Are you able to access the Web UI without issues?

Can you manually connect to the data/logs folder for your Roon Server? You can use these instructions to manually access your Server logs. If you are able, please upload a set for review to the below link:

https://workdrive.zohoexternal.com/collection/8i5239cc05950ac07456889838d9319545a82/external

1 Like

I do want to use the Roon Whirlwind. I have a nucleus also and it exibits the same behavior. I am able to connect to the web administration UI without a problem. I will work on getting the logs for you. Thank you.

1 Like