2 different Windows 10 laptops:
- [PRIMARY] Lenovo W530 with latest patches and updates
- [SECONDARY - a new setup solely to identify whether issue was with old Lenovo laptop] Brand-new Dell XPS 17 (9710) with latest patches and updates
Router: Google Nest Wifi routers and 3 mesh extenders
- Lenovo core was connected via wired Ethernet to router
- XPS 17 is connected wirelessly
- Chromecast audio
- Windows 10 laptop running Roon app
- Pixel 5 phone running latest Roon app
- Google Nest Wifi speakers
SUMMARY: Cannot connect to the Core from other devices. Cannot get the Core to control other devices.
I’ll try and make this as brief but clear as possible.
- I have been using Roon for about 16 months now. Set up Core on an old Windows laptop that has been physically connected to the same Google router for ages
- I use my Android phone as one control point - to browse my library and send audio to Chromecasts attached to hifi. I occasionally send audio to the little Google Nest speakers too
- I also use my work laptop as another client - mainly to listen to music on that machine when I am working
- I would sometimes find the Core was not found. This was generally because Windows annoyingly forced an update and rebooted the machine, killing the Core app. I have become accustomed to manually logging in and restarting the client every few weeks (thanks Microsoft)
- This happened earlier this week (Monday or Tuesday) but this time I found the windows app was still running.
- Seeing as I could not connect to the Core from my phone, I used my laptop/Core device to select a zone (one of the google speakers) and tried playing music: I could hear the ‘connected’ tone from the speaker, which happens when it received a playback command from elsewhere. However, no audio played. The Core seemed to be slow and confused.
- I tried restoring from a backup about a week old - when it was definitely working: no joy.
- Tried deleting app and all settings, reinstalled… restored backup: no joy
- Installed Roon on my brand-new work laptop (the XPS 17). Restored from a known good backup: SAME ISSUES!
- I cannot find the Core on my Android phone. Again, when I try to control another device, it seems to connect, but no playback occurs.
- Once, and only once, I saw a message pop up saying “audio device refused to switch input to roon”
- I enabled my XPS as a ‘zone’ or whatever it’s called. I can play music successfully.
I am not aware of there being any router / network changes in the last week.
I can’t figure out how to diagnose what is going on. It’s really annoying!
Has anyone got any suggestions at all!?