Cannot get Roon running

It seems like the folks replying to me are users. I am so grateful for that support. How do get some tech help from ROON?

@noris is the Technical person from Roon. I’m sure he’ll stay in touch with you on this.

1 Like

Thanks Scott.

Hi @Ben_Katz,

Your library is quite large, it’s right on the edge of what should work, as Scott mentioned, you are in the minority of users who are getting close to the limits of Roon.

We are always looking into performance optimizations for RoonOS, so this may change in the future, but for now I would suggest using under 250k-300k tracks for this NUC, which seemed to be the breaking point as per your previous message:

Thanks Norris for coming to the party. Using ROON for only 250K tracks is not useful to me. Its not how I listen. I would like to have a conversation to see what I need to do to get this to work. As I said in the thread I am highly motivated to have this work as is evidenced by me spending $1000 before getting to enjoy it. I cannot be the only person with more than 250K tracks and I have purchased what ROON directed to handle the bigger libraries… @noris

I think you are definitely pushing it trying to use an i7 NUC with the size of your library. Even Brian Luczkiewicz (Roon’s CTO) seems to imply this in his post on hardware requirements for a good user experience:

If you’ve got a 4k monitor and 20,000 albums, look for a big scary Core i7 with plenty of ram, an SSD, and discrete graphics.

The advice from Roon Labs for very large libraries seems to be to go for a workstation PC build running Windows…

Edit: If you want to keep to the NUC form factor, then perhaps a model from the new (slightly larger, and certainly more powerful) Intel NUC 9 Pro range would be suitable?

Where or from whom was this advice you keep referring to?

I would suppose it is this from https://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Optimized_Core_Kit :

Indeed and a quick Google brings back the thread on running 500k+ tracks.

I read Brian’s post. The is referencing an i7 with 8GB of RAM and an SSD Boot drive all of which I have. I went the extra distance to run the Roon Rock Core He is also referencing a perfect experience and I cannot even get the remote to load. I poured through the KBs to get the specs and even listened to the Von Beekhuyzen channel

I don’t think the Knowledge Base says to do that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

No but when that channel agrees with the recomendations in the KB articles I thought it was solid. :slight_smile:

Sorry, but with 770k+ tracks you are firmly in the space where Brian says a “big scary i7 with plenty of RAM and an SSD” are essential. That’s not your father’s NUC.

4 Likes

I run a 270k track setup on an older i7-7700 16g. With ssd nvme drive and it’s fine, on the i7 Nuc it was was ok but struggled a bit under some conditions like multiple endpoints and upsampling. Music library was on a nas bit now on 16tb usb drive.

I have now unplugged the 2 drives and was able to get the remote to load. I have shut off all of the audio analysis and replaced in the 2 drives and it is slowly importing the files. I will update as it goes.

3 Likes

Still no change. The remote won’t come up but the core is churning away. How can I tell if it is still working

H @Ben_Katz,

Are you still able to access the Web UI? Does it show that RoonServer is running and stable?

I have the NUC server connected to a monitor and it says its up and that I can attach to it via the url. I guess thats up

I have now unplugged all the drives again and got the remote to come up i tried playing just tidal tracks and it worked for about 8 songs and then froze and I just ■■■■ it down. I then tried to just load the one drive that has already been loaded. It wouldn’t come up.

Ok it seems like every once in awhile I can get the remote to come up but never with any media attached. I only have about 300K tracks loaded. (Which I cannot play bc they aren’t plugged in) Whats the next step here