Cannot resolve "No Audio Devices Found" issue - past two builds

I’m originally send several notes to admin@roonlabs.com as I wasn’t seeing + new topics in the upper right corner of the screen I didn’t get any replies back.

The error I’m getting with Roon is “No audio devices found”.

The reason I feel this may be a Roon software issue is that Foobar 2000 has no problems finding my sound card.

System info:
Roon V1.2/build 147/64 bit
Updated on 9/1 to V1.2/BUILD 157, 64 BIT
Hardware: 4 - 1.5Tb HDs, 8G RAM, ASUS 5PQ Deluxe motherboard, Lynx AES16 sound card,
Thecus N4200PRO NAS w/4 -2TB drives connected via LAN into music server (not networked), outboard,
DAC by Playback Designs connected to AES16 Ch 1 & 2 via AES/EBU balanced digital cable.
Other software: Foobar2000, dbPowerAmp CD ripper, EAC, Team Viewer (for remote operation), Lynx AES16 application and ASIO4All

Background: This system has been up & down due to wonderful Win 10 issues. The last issue took the local MS tech group a little over three weeks to fix after an OS update on 6/1/16. After I got the box back I reloaded my apps including Roon. Once all was loaded and I figured out how to get the NAS to connect with the server, it was different than before the OS update, I was able to get the music files over to Roon. I brought up an album and I had sound out my speakers. I enjoyed it for an evening. I powered the system down for the night. The next morning, I powered everything back up, no problems. I went about my
daily routines during which the system went into its sleep mode - after 5 hours. When I attempted to play another album, nothing. At the bottom of the Roon screen there is a “No audio devices found” message.

I’ve gone through all the tabs that are displayed and I can’t find anything that would allow me to find/select the Lynx AES16 sound card. Checking the Lynx card, all the channels are activated, including Ch 1 & 2, level is max, 16bit/44.1kHz, preferred clock set to internal. Testing the Lynx card via the OS Device Manager produces test tones out the main system speakers. Foobar2000 finds the Lynx card and plays just fine. In the Roon Audio tab, I find “Network - these devices have been … ,+Add Network device HQPlayer” which didn’t fix the problem. I idn’t find any thing in the Setup or General tabs that
might allow me to select the Lynx card.

I have turned on McAfee “guard” and that didn’t help at all.

The latest Roon patch from Build 147 to 157 didn’t help either.

At this point I’m at a loss as to where/what the problem might be. Any help is greatly appreciated. It may even be cockpit error on my part.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide me in resolving the above issue.

Hi @Ron_Wuesthoff — Thank you for feedback and my apologies for the trouble here. I’d like to gather some logs from you so our developers can take a closer look into this issue. I will be contacting you via PM shortly. Thanks!

-Eric

Eirc,

I sent the files at 6:24p, PDT on Friday, 9/2.

Thanks for looking into this and for your quick response.

Ron W

1 Like

Hi @Ron_Wuesthoff ---- Thank you for the confirmation! I wanted to follow up, to let you know that I’ve received the logs and have passed them to our developers. Once they’ve had a chance to evaluate the information, I will report back with our findings. Thanks!

-Eric

Hi @Ron_Wuesthoff ---- Thank you for your patience as we have been actively investigating this issue. Our developers believe that there maybe something going on with the RAATServer and that is why you are in this state.

They would like to take a closer look at your setup in Roon. May I kindly ask you to please provide screen grabs from the “Audio” tab found in settings. Thanks!

-Eric

Eric,

I just looked at the “Audio” tab and it looks like they have found the problem. The Lynx AES16, all 16 channels/zone areis showing up. I’ll have to figure out how to grab a screen shots. The Lynx ASIO device is “device not found” however, the Lynx ASIOAll4 “device found”

In the past, the Lynx card has not been showing up at all.

It will probably be tomorrow morning before I can get a screen shot to you.

Eric,

Attached, I hope, is the screen grab you requested. Interesting thing though, last night it appeared to be working - i.e. all of Lynx AES16 channels/zones were showing up. This morning, I backed out of Roon, came back about 30 minutes, activated it and nothing. No Lynx card and getting “No audio devices found” again.

Under the “+Add Network Device” you get “HQ Player” is all.

I had hope last night, but not today again.

I’ll leave the Roon application up today so your folks can access if necessary.

Thanks,
Ron W

Hi @Ron_Wuesthoff ----- Thank you for the feedback and the screen grab! I will be updating my notes and passing all this information back to our developers so they may continue their investigation.

Out of curiosity, does performing a reboot of your system/setup ever resolve this issue for you?

Thanks!
-Eric

Eric,

Rebooting, going out of the application, turning off McAfee or turning it back on, has no effect on the issue.

I thought originally that there might have been some sort of issue McAfee, but that didn’t seem to be it. All the current problems stem from an update about June 1st from wonderful Microcrap for Win 10. I did a rollback to a previous update, and that didn’t seem to help either.

Thanks,

Ron W

Eric,

I stand corrected. I only turned off McAfee Guard, I haven’t removed the actual program. Sorry for my mis-statement.

Ron W

1 Like

@Ron_Wuesthoff ---- Thank you for the follow up. Just to confirm, once the application was disabled did you shutdown your entire system and then power back up/ re-launch roon? The reason I ask is in the past we’ve had users report issues on their setups which ended up stemming from things like firewall permissions and anti-virus applications. My apologies for the confusion, I just want to make sure we are examining all potential variables here. Thanks!

-Eric

Eric,

I’m by the server. I exited Roon, did a power down, powered back up, went into Roon, still “no Audio Devices Found”.

Ron W

1 Like

@Ron_Wuesthoff ----- And this was after McAfee Guard was disabled, correct?

Thanks!
-Eric

Eric,

It didn’t make any difference if McAfee Guard was on or off.

A friend of mine was over today and he turned the full McAfee app off, booted the system, turned Roon on and still the same result - No Audio Devices found.

Thanks,
Ron W

1 Like

Hi @Ron_Wuesthoff ----- Thank you for the follow up and confirmation. As our developers continue their investigation and pass more information back to me I will be sure to keep you up to date on our progress.

Thanks!
-Eric