Can't add albums to library, “+” button and it keeps spinning [Ticket In]

Roon Core Machine

MacOS 13.4; 2022 MacBook Air, M2, 24GB

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Core MacBook Air is connected via ethernet to Netgear Orbi RBS50 Satellite, which is connected via WiFi to Netgear Orbi RBR50 Router.

Connected Audio Devices

MacBook Pro (MacOS 13.4) & iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 16.5) over WiFi

Number of Tracks in Library

1,050 Albums; 13,796 Tracks

Description of Issue

While playing music, when attempting to add a Qobuz Album that’s either in Queue or Playing, from another computer or iPhone app, the “+” (Add) circle continues to spin and the Roon app hangs after the popup appears indicating that the Album has been added to Library. The only way to stop it from spinning is to kill and relaunch the app. Sometimes it also crashes the app on its own while it’s in “spinning” mode.

I believe this sometimes also happens when doing the same operation directly from the Core app itself, but not as often as when using a remote app, either on a different Mac computer or iPhone.

FYI: Yesterday’s update to Roon 2.0, Build 1277 has NOT solved this problem.

Hi @GSpot,

1. Do you have an example of a Qobuz album that recently caused this hanging (or crashing) behavior on your Mac Remote or Core?

2. What kind of QoS settings do you have enabled in your Orbi satellite? This device can work like a traffic cop and limit bandwidth, and I believe WiFi multimedia QoS is enabled by default. Try disabling it, or even better, testing on your Core directly or on a Remote connected to the WiFi of the main router.

3. Does playback stop when you see this spinning/hanging? Or will playback continue until Roon crashes or is force-closed?

We’ll keep a lookout for your response. Thanks!

1. Do you have an example of a Qobuz album that recently caused this hanging (or crashing) behavior on your Mac Remote or Core? It’s not just one album. It continues to happen about 75% of the time with all albums. If a Qobuz album is either in queue or if it’s already playing from queue, and I try to add the album to my library, it hangs and/or crashes roughly 75% of the time.

2. What kind of QoS settings do you have enabled in your Orbi satellite? This device can work like a traffic cop and limit bandwidth, and I believe WiFi multimedia QoS is enabled by default. Try disabling it, or even better, testing on your Core directly or on a Remote connected to the WiFi of the main router. I’ve checked all the advanced settings for my Orbi Router and Satellite and I do not see any setting called, WiFi multimedia QoS.

3. Does playback stop when you see this spinning/hanging? Or will playback continue until Roon crashes or is force-closed? No, Playback does not stop when it hangs, crashes or is force-closed.

1 Like

Hi @GSpot,

We’ve reproduced internally using an album from your diagnostics, ¡Cubanismo!, and have a quick follow-up question:

1. You seem to have a large number of tracks in your queue on average. If you clear the queue and then try adding (+) a Qobuz album to the queue, do you still encounter this?

2. Are you playing to any endpoints other than system output of the Remote (iPhone or Mac) when this happens?

We’re investigating this with QA and will follow up with more information.

We’ve reproduced internally using an album from your diagnostics, ¡Cubanismo!, and have a quick follow-up question:

1. You seem to have a large number of tracks in your queue on average. If you clear the queue and then try adding (+) a Qobuz album to the queue, do you still encounter this?

Yes – I often allow large queues (~15-20 tracks) to build while music is playing and I’m vetting new Roon Radio suggestions, before confirming to the queue. However, the hanging/crashing when attempting to add an Album to the library, that’s either in the queue or actually playing (and I actually like it and want to add it), can happen irrespective of a large queue size.

1. Are you playing to any endpoints other than system output of the Remote (iPhone or Mac) when this happens?

This condition typically happens when I’m using the Roon Remote app either with a (non-core) MacBook or an iPhone. I do not recall for certain if it happens when doing it directly from the Core MacBook, but something tells me it’s happened there as well.

Also, of potential interest… it seems that the hanging/crashing bug typically happens after ~1-3 successful “Album Adds,” but then starts to fail after that. As an example, as I’m building a Roon Radio queue, the first 1-3 albums that I attempt to add are successfully added, but as the queue builds, additional adds begin to fail.

We’re investigating this with QA and will follow up with more information.

Hi @GSpot,

Sorry for the delay and thanks for your patience. We’re zeroing in on the cause of the issue with QA and development. In the meantime, to check in, have you experienced this in the last few days? If so, can you share an approximate timestamp? A fresh set of logs should bring us home and potentially illuminate a fix.

Some of these questions may appear redundant, but can you please specify (at your convenience):

• Does this ever occur if you queue only one track, or just the entire album (via “Play All” button on Album Details page)
  • Can you reproduce this on any screens other than Artist Details or Album Details?
  • Can you name an album that always causes this behavior? Or tends to cause this behavior?
  • What about a specific track that reliably causes this issue?

Thanks! I’ll have more information shortly.

Hi – Thanks so much for checking-in. Being buried with work lately, I haven’t been “binge-ing” or repeatedly adding Qobuz albums to my Library as much as I was when I reported this. As such, though I’ve been regurlay doing normal listening, I have had a few heavy listening sessions over the last 1-2 weeks and therefore, I haven’t experienced the issue!

Perhaps you guys successfully squashed the bug or it’s simply due to the fact that I haven’t been pushing it as much as I was. I will try over the next couple of days to do some more Qobuz binge-ing/adding, see if I hit any snags again and keep you advised. But apparently, so far so good!

Thanks for your excellent support!!

Hi @GSpot,

Sounds good. We’ll keep this thread open for a few weeks in case you encounter the issue again during your normal listening routine. Thanks!

Hello,

So I have discovered a related bug – which may actually be the root of “the” original bug that I initially reported.

So I’ve found that when looking at a list of Versions for a given album, and you click the “+Add to Library” purple link on the right side of the version, the Album “may” have been added to the Library, but when you actually select the version that you ostensibly just added to your library, the “+” sign (vs the “Heart”) symbol is showing for that album – indicating that it wasn’t successfully added to the Library. Clicking the “+” sign here, invariably results in a spinning-circle/hanging situation!

Only way out at this point is to kill/re-launch the Roon Remote app, at which point, it usually shows the heart, indicating that it was successfully added to the Library.

Please see attached screenshots as an example:
Here, in the Versions view, I just clicked the “+Add to Library” purple command on the right…

Upon selecting that (just added) Version, the circled “+” symbol was displayed, implying that the Album was not in the Library. Clicking it results in the spinning circle, which never stops, unless you kill/re-launch the application…

After re-launching, the circled “Heart” symbol correctly shows that the Album has been added to the Library…

Hi @GSpot,

Thank you for the precise report! The team will investigate and follow up.

1 Like

Back to the originally reported bug (in addition to one most recently added):

I have confirmed that the problem with attempting to add Qobuz albums from the Queue has not been resolved – in fact, it has gotten worse. Now, the problem even sporadically occurs when attempting to add a Queued album to the Library, even when doing it directly from the Core laptop. I thought the issue was limited to when doing this only from a remote app (whether from iPhone or MacBook).

Again, it seems to not have a problem adding Queued albums to the Library for 1 to maybe 3-4 times, but once you attempt more than that, the applications hangs with a spinning circle, and the Core must be killed/re-launched. Even after a re-launch, it sometimes still has the problem and the system must be re-booted. This happens both when the Queued track has not yet played, as well as after it has been played.

Here are some screenshots:

Trying to add the album for the Track at the top of the Queue history (note, this track was already played):

After clicking on the Album icon from that track, I clicked on the “+” symbol inside the circle to add the Album to my Library (note that a message popup appears at the bottom indicating the the Album has been “Added to library”:

However, the spinning circle persists and does not stop:

After killing/re-launching the Roon Core application, you can see that the same Album was not successfully added to the Library – but in fact, when I checked my ‘Recently Added’ Albums view, it was actually in my Library – even though the circled “+” symbol was still showing:

UPDATE: Upon further analysis, it appears that the bug may be simply limited to an erroneous indication of the circled “+” sign in the Album view, which doesn’t always accurately indicate that the Album is indeed in the Library, by correctly showing a circled “Heart” symbol.

I have discovered that the Albums that I thought weren’t adding, were in fact, actually in the Albums Library, despite the fact that they still showed the circled “+” symbol in the individual Album view. And once they’re actually in the Library and the erroneous circled “+” symbol is showing, attempting to click the “+” symbol to Add it, results in the spinning circle hang.

Hello Roon Team,

I noticed that this thread is set to close in 17 days. Until the bug is resolved, is there any way to keep the thread open longer? I’ve spent a lot of time testing and would hate to see that lost and have to re-create a support request.

Thanks!

Hi @GSpot,

The auto-close has been removed, but in any case, there’s an open internal investigation ticket, so this issue won’t remain in the dark. Please let us know if you have any new symptoms to share, as we’re still attempting to reproduce reliably with QA.

Thank you, Connor!

Hi @GSpot,

We’ve ruled out queue size as a variable here - this might be a deeper logic issue within Roon’s treatment of Qobuz library objects.

Do these steps specifically reproduce this at will?

1. Go to Qobuz browser and scroll up to “New Albums”
  2. Choose any album and go to its details
  3. Click on “+“ button (It means add to library)
  4. Return to Qobuz browser and scroll up to “New Albums”
  5. Choose the same album that you added to library and go to details page
  6. The “+” button should be erroneously visible at this point. Clicking on it causing spinning.

QA is hoping for a copy of your Roon database, as well. If possible, at your convenience, please navigate to your DB location, compress it into a ZIP file, and upload it here.

Thank you!

Connor – thanks so much for staying on this. Bingo! Followed your steps and received the exact result.

I zipped my Roon DB folder, but cannot seem to find an upload function in the link you sent: Roon Database Collector

Any insights?

Thanks!
/Paul

Roon Server Machine

Linux ROON-OptiPlex-7020 5.15.0-76-generic #83-Ubuntu SMP x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux; Intel(R) Core™ i5-4590 CPU @ 3.30GHz; 8GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM; Local files stored on QNAP NAS

Networking Gear & Setup Details

mikrotik running RouterOS v6.49.2 using capMAN with numerous AP, but RoonServer, NAS, is all on wired Ethernet

Connected Audio Devices

• iMac (has both remote and roon bridge) connected via USB => DAC => Amplifier

Also have other 2 channel hifi system and sonos enabled in audio devices.

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Some albums I’m unable to click the “+” to add to library. It just stays spinning. Just like described here: Can't add albums to library, “+” button and it keeps spinning [Ticket In]

Some albums work fine, others don’t. I manualy synced with Tidal to no avail. I’ve tried going to tidal to add to collection (their heart icon) and it added no problem.

Man, there’s so much I love about Roon, but just basic functionality is putting a big wet blanket on it. This is just the latest issue (I’m concurrently dealing with random stop playing issues, never mind crossfade almost never works, even on exact same bit rate/sample files from local or tidal). Anyhow, any advice on something that I may have wrong or something within my control to be able to add something to the library. Roon has successfully allowed me to discover new music. Now I guess I have to write it down? Or fire up Tidal app and add it to collection there?

Where opening/closing remotes, no change happens and no ability to favorite, I added it in Tidal. I then rebooted Roon Core, upon reboot it was favourited - I guess that would pull from Tidal then I would think?