Roon Core Machine

Windows 2016 VM given 16GB of ram

Networking Gear & Setup Details

PFSense router with asus wifi router in AP mode for wireless

Connected Audio Devices

Chromecast

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Whenever I try to cast to a chromecast (I have 2 and get same behavior on both) it just skips past all of the tracks and won’t play anything. I checked the log and get a few lines of errors seen below
“urn:x-cast:com.google.cast.media”, “payloadUtf8”: “{"requestId":290,"type":"INVALID_REQUEST","reason":"INVALID_MEDIA_SESSION_ID"}” }
02/05 18:59:01 Warn: [zone Family Room TV] Track Stopped Due to Error

I am running roon server on a windows server 2016 VM. I did have to open some ports on the windows firewall to get everything working. I can’t remember if it was for roon arc and regular roon or just roon but I had to find the ports to open in a random post on here i believe. I am wondering if I need to do the same for chromecast devices. I can provide more of the log if needed.

Roon don’t support running on VMs so this may well end up in the tinkering section

I wonder if its just a windows firewall thing and not a VM. I had it on a Linux VM at one point with no issues.

I was able to find this forum post that listed ports 8008 and 8009 needing to be open for chromecast to work. I am running server 2016 so I think this is more of a windows server thing than it is VM since Windows server is more locked down by default. Once I opened these up on the windows firewall chromecast started working.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.