Can't connect roon core

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

QNAP TS-453Bmini, Linux4.14.24-qnap/192.168.50.205, Version 1.7(build 537) stable

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

ASUS RT-AC68U WiFi 2.4G/5G and Ethernet, ipad remote and Android phone remote

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

TEXT GOES HERE

Description Of Issue
I have had no issues since using Roon 2 months ago, I open my ipad remote and phone remote today, it can find roon core in QNAP NAS, but it ask me log in , I input my ID and password, it display “network error: please check your internet connection”. I checked network, it was ok, ipad and phone remote, roon core in QNAP nas are under the same network and can visit internet.

Hi @chen_Jianli,

Welcome to the forum! Can you access your QNAP logs by using these instructions and post a set here? You can upload to Dropbox / Google Drive / Send.firefox.com. Thanks!

Hi Noris,
I upload the QNAP logs to (https://send.firefox.com/download/c909bcd0fc4053c2/#jzF-4vJvBslk1RE4ysJRtg), you can download it.

Thanks!

Hi @chen_Jianli,

Thanks for sending those logs over. I took a look and it looks like you’re running both an outdated version of Roon Core and and outdated package of RoonServer on your QNAP. I suggest that you update to the latest version, please see:

&

After updating the package, please make sure you are on build 571 in Roon Settings -> About.

Hi Noris,
I according to your advise, update to the latest version, but unfortunately I can’t complete it,
the QNAP log display: could not download binary archive from Roon Lab website. please check your internet connerction. update process:(https://send.firefox.com/download/1a5c2fa740d423ce/#8G_BaIt5aY6jTkJ-uYU45A)

Chen

Hi @chen_Jianli,

Did you use the manual install guide that @BlackJack posted?

I would also check the DNS servers you have set up on your QNAP to make sure they are valid.

Also flagging @crieke in case he has other ideas of what could be going on here.

1 Like

Hi, Noris,
Yes, I used the manual install guide that BlackJack posted.

1. download the Roon Server for QNAP (2020-06-19) from roononnas.org
  2. Login on the QNAP Open the App Center,install RoonServer_2020-06-19_x86_64
  3. when installation process to 45%, installation stop. the log said : “Could not download binary archive from Roon Labs website. Please check your internet connection.”

Are you on the latest qnap OS version?

No, the QNAP OS version is 4.4.1.1146 CHN

I’d try updating your qnap to all of the latest versions.

It could also be, that the QNAP has issues getting the RoonServer tar.bz2 file from the RoonLabs download section. You could try to download the file manually on your computer from here and put it on your public share folder of your QNAP (without renaming the file!)
Then perform the installation of the the new qpkg again.

Hi, Christopher Rieke,
I update to ver.1.7(build 571)stable successfully. thank you. but the probelm still not be sovled.when I sign in Roon, it still appear “network error: please check your internet connection”.

Can you click “Select a different Core” and see your QNAP core then?

If not:
Have you specified a database location?
(The path, wehere Roon stores its database. This should be a separate folder and should not be mixed up with in the location of your media file.)
You can specify it with the Roon Server web ui in the QTS administration.

If this has already been specified, take a look at your network settings. Are all devices in the same IP range (and same network)?

My ipad remote can find roon core in QNAP NAS only, can’t appear “Select a different Core”.
I set the roonserver folder on the SSD, and my media file on another NAS hard drive.
my ipad and phone remote, roon core in QNAP nas are under the same network and can visit internet, use other app can opreate the NAS

thanks for the info, @chen_Jianli,
are there any firewalls enabled on your qnap?

Can you provide the Roon Server log files by email or put them on a web hosting service? (I’ll send you the email address in a private message)

Hi @chen_Jianli,

Are you using the latest firmware on your router? I’ve been discussing with @crieke and there appears to be some Name Resolution Failures contained in your Roon logs. I would suggest manually changing the DNS servers to see if that helps.

Hi Noris,
According to the Christopher Rieke advice, I reset up my QNAP NAS DNS server, enter the IP of the China railway public DNS: 114.114.114.114, the roon is normal running.

Thank you for your help.
and thank you ged_hickman1

2 Likes

Hi @chen_Jianli,

That’s fantastic news, thanks for the update @chen_Jianli (and @crieke for his assistance)!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.