Can't connect to my Nucleus+ anymore

Roon Core Machine

Nucleus+ rev B

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Fritz!Box 6591 Router using wired Ethernet (no WiFI is used)

Connected Audio Devices

Cambridge Audio 851 N Network Player connected with ethernet cable
Cocktail Audio X-45 Network Player connected with ethernet cable

Number of Tracks in Library

721 albums

Description of Issue

for about 2 years I am a pretty happy owner of the Nucleus+ (Nucleus+
rev B) together with a lifetime Roon license. However since a few days
I noticed that I cannot connect to the Nucleus anymore. After some
investigation it looks to me like the Nucleus is not booting at all
anymore. The LEDs on the ethernet port show a correct status (blinking
green LED on the right side and amber lucent LED on the left side). When
I switch the Nucleus ON the white LED on the power button is on but
turns off after about 1 or 2 minutes for a few seconds and then turns on
again - same behavior is spinning in cycles again and again. To me
this looks like a failing attempt to boot. Anyway I cannot not connect
to the Nucleus by any means (not even by just pinging the ip address).
I also tried to connect the Nucleus to a monitor using the HDMI port
but the screen remains black showing nothing.

I bought the Nucleus+ about 2 years ago at my local trader. I have built
in a SSD (and not a cheap one) directly after I bought it and I always
handled the Nucleus with extreme care - it is almost physically
untouched for 2 years and just remotely operated with my tablet and
mobile phone. So I am really wondering how can this happen to such an
expensive device? But even more I need to know how I can get it
fixed.

Please advice what to to.

• Can I do something on my own?
  • Can I send the machine to you to fix it?
  • Should I go to my local trader to ask for help?

Again please at least provide an advice what to do.

Looking forward to get a soon and useful response from your end. - Thanks.

The Nucleus comes with a two-year warranty, so as a first step, I’d check the date of purchase. If it is within the warranty period, the dealer is responsible for resolving the problem.

In addition, can you hook the nucleus up to a TV or monitor and confirm what is displayed. Thanks.

1 Like

From what I’ve seen, the Nucleus models have trouble with the M.2 drives. If, when you boot with a display attached and nothing is displayed, then that’s more than likely because the M.2 has died.

My unproven suspicion is that the Nucleus heat management is not good enough to keep the M.2 from a heat death. Either that or the Nucleus models are built with the cheapest M.2 available.

If I were in your shoes, I would replace the M.2 myself and get one with a good reputation and some built in heat mitigation, or at least put heat sinks on it.

I’m not a Roon employee, just a long time observer.

Looks like an SSD failure to me.

@M-Factor - is the Nucleus still within warranty?

@Martin_Webster - 2 years warranty ended in April 2022. And as I already wrote in my previous message monitor remains black when connecting with HDMI to the Nucleus and btw I already brought the nucleus to my local dealer.

@xxx - Your hint seems to me very useful. I am not exactly sure what you mean with “M.2” but I guess you refer to the storage that I had built in. In fact I am using quite an expensive 4TB Samsung SSD for server operations (should be more durable). Or do you mean something else with “M.2”? In any case the hint for heat management is interesting and likely relevant.

@Geoff_Coupe - yes monitor remains black when connecting with HDMI to the Nucleus

Thanks All.

The M.2 drive is the drive that ships with the Nucleus and contains the OS. Your 4TB SSD is a drive you put in to hold your music.

Here’s what an M.2 looks like (not a recommendation)

https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-PCIe-Internal-Gaming-MZ-V8P1T0B/dp/B08GL52C3V/ref=sr_1_4?crid=R2AC23M3CF0I&keywords=m.2%2Bssd&qid=1665149320&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI2LjA0IiwicXNhIjoiNS40MyIsInFzcCI6IjUuMTQifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=m.2%2Caps%2C411&sr=8-4&th=1

Since you are off warranty, it’s a much easier decision.

Install a new M.2, 250GB is more than enough…
Download ROCK, install and (if relevant) upgrade to V2.0. Once that’s done then this -

You’ll need to Restore your Roon library from a Settings==>Backup.

That’s what I would do.

From what I’ve witnessed on this forum, most HiFi shops are completely incompetent when dealing with the insides of a Nucleus and you’ll be charged an arm and a leg for something that you can easily do yourself.

1 Like

@xxx - Really good hints and explanations - thanks once again! I brought my Nucleus to my local dealer on Sep 26th, tomorrow I will try to get a status from them. My understanding was that they will send the device anyway to some Roon support point here in Germany (or in Europe) but maybe I am wrong. Anyway if they cannot fix it I will follow your hints and instructions. I further hope that it is the M.2 that failed rather than my SSD with the music (although I have backed up my music on 2 other locations that is my NAS and my Cocktail Audio).
In any case it is disappointing - the Nucleus looks rock solid and was pretty expensive as you might now and I handled it with extreme care all the time so I expected that I can easily use it for decades without any issues or even significant maintenance. So considering my experience I am not sure if I would buy a nucleus once again (contrary I have no doubts to use the roon software all of my life).

Again I am graceful for your hints. Maybe I will have some more questions in case the repair by my local dealer is not working.

It’s going to cost you and you will be without for a least a month, but whatever works for you.

Good luck.

I had same problem three weeks back and replaced board from Amazon and followed Roon instructions and was up and running in less then an hour. Roon help desk very helpful

@M-Factor,

I would agree with others that we’re likely seeing an SSD failure.

If you exhaust your local options for repair and want to proceed with a Roon repair, please message me. I’ll get you started on that process.

Wes

I just went through this with my Roon Nucleus. It had been running 24/7 for 3 years. I got a replacement M.2 from Amazon for US$26 and did it myself. Not being a computer person, it took me an hour.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.