Can't connect to Roon Core - connection keep resetting

Make sure that Windows is up to date.
Make sure all drivers are up to date.

done

This can often be caused by firewall or antivirus software running in the background. I know you mentioned you have all of that turned off, but just wanted to make a note of that here since it seems to be a common cause.

done

Has this error message only appeared once, or does it appear every time you try to run Roon?

appeared just three times. It actually appeared again and if I don’t click OK Roon can connect fine.

Are there any other applications running in the background while you are using Roon?

everything is switched off, it’s a music server - just for music.

If you check Event Viewer on your Core machine, do you see any related errors?

I can’t see anythign related.

Hey @Adam_Dabrowski,

Thanks for verifying that for me.

I talked to the technical team again now that I have some more information. We tried reinstalling Roon on the remote machines, but since we now see this error appearing when you launch Roon from the Core machine, the next step here will be to reinstall the Roon application on your Core.

For this, you only want to reinstall the Roon application, you do not want to uninstall/delete your database and settings, this way you can continue using them after you reinstall.

Thank you,
Dylan

this didn’t work…

and I clcked OK on the error message before reinstalling :frowning:
It didn’t reappear yet.

Therefore I got no connection.

Hi @Adam_Dabrowski — Thanks for trying that.

Based on what we are seeing, it seems like the root cause of the behavior is specific to the Windows Core machine, so I’d like to try something else.

Try installing Roon Core on your Mac machine, and if you have a Roon backup, retore it on the new Core. Try using Roon as normal from the new machine and let me know if you experience the same behavior, or if it works correctly from the Mac.

Thank you,
Dylan

Hi @dylan

It works fine on the Mac!

Glad to hear that worked, @Adam_Dabrowski!

Based on these results, it definitely seems like it’s something specific to the Windows Core machine. The next test I’d like to recommend is using a brand new database on the Windows server.

You can create a new database by following these instructions:

• Locate your Roon database according to these instructions
  • Rename the entire Roon (or RoonServer) folder to roon_old
  • Relaunch Roon, sign in, and configure a new install

From here, try to use Roon as you normally would with this new database. Do you experience the same behavior you had with your previous database?

Thanks,
Dylan

Ok getting somewhere.

I changed database to database old.
Roon connected.

I added Tidal - no problem.
but when it started adding local files at some point it disconnected again!

I did it again just skipped adding local files…
i’m listetening Tidal without any problems.

I justed tested it again… and yes it disconnected upon adding some local files.

Thank you, @Adam_Dabrowski — I think we’re getting very close here!

Now that we’ve pinpointed where this starts occuring, I’d like to ask you to please use the directions found here and send us over another set of logs using a shared Dropbox link. We will need logs from your Windows Core machine again.

May I also ask that you please send a screenshot of what you’re adding to Roon for your local files in Settings > Storage.

Once you send over the logs and the screenshot I will pass them along to the technical team for analysis.

Thank you for your continued assistance here! I really appreciate, and I feel that we are very close to getting everything resolved.

Regards,
Dylan

Hey @Adam_Dabrowski,

I spoke with our technical team about their findings, and I have a next step to try here. The team managed to trace the issue back to a specific file, and we’d like you to remove the file and see if the behavior stops.

D:\music\Mountain Range\Mountain Range - Partings - Mastered.wav

There may be other files that are contributing to this as well, so let me know if that resolves this for you and, if not, we can look at a diagnostics report to see if there is another file with the same issue.

Regards,
Dylan

Thank you @dylan.

I will let you know soon.

Can you explain what’s the issue though? I used/played this file before without any problems.

…and it went crazy again.

I scanned my SSD - no issues found.
I tested Mountain Range - Partings - Mastered.wav on the mac - no problems.

Thanks for testing that out, @Adam_Dabrowski!

To give some info - Our technical team traced the behavior back to that import of that particular file. They let me know that there might be others, so in the event that that didn’t work, they wanted me to get another diagnostics report from you if possible. Can you please follow the instructions again that I had listed above and send me over another copy?

Thank you for your help!
Dylan

Hey @Adam_Dabrowski — Thanks for your patience and cooperation as we continue our investigation.

I spoke with the technical team about this today, and we have some next steps for you that we’d like to recommend. We would like to see a log trace of this issue from your Mac so we can get a bit more insight on this.

May I kindly ask that you please follow these steps:

1. Launch Terminal on the mac where Core is installed
  2. Paste this command /Applications/Roon.app/Contents/MacOS/Roon -storagetrace
    • This launches Roonand enables additional logging
  3. Press enter
  4. Reproduce the issue
    1, Repeat this 3-4 times (this way we have plenty of data for analysis)
  5. Send us the logs

Thanks in advance!
Dylan